Author Topic: RUNBOW  (Read 8447 times)

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
RUNBOW
« on: October 08, 2014, 01:18:05 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB7E_bdofiY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB7E_bdofiY</a>

Runbow is an action party game with a unique art style and a never-before seen colour mechanic that will keep you running back for more. Platforms and obstacles appear and disappear as the background colour changes, so if you can’t see something, it doesn’t exist. Whether you're playing alone or with friends, Runbow is fast, frantic, and a lot of fun.

Players can race against each other in The Runbow Run, or go head to head in a number of different modes including King of the Hill and Arena to name a few. Use the Wii U GamePad to become the malevolent ColourMaster controlling the colours and the obstacles in the level, or tackle our toughest game mode, The Bowhemoth, a 30+ minute platforming challenge that will put the patience and skill of even the toughest players to the test.

If dozens of game modes, hundreds of unlockable costumes, and a crazy, colourful gaming challenge sounds like fun, then you better get ready to Runbow!

So I've been looking for the right time to post this up here and I figure this is a good a time as any.  So for the last few months I've been working with a great gang of guys on RUNBOW, and now that we're officially on our way to Indiecade to go hang out with Nintendo, I figured I should get the shameless self promotion train a-rolling.

Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
Re: RUNBOW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 01:30:30 pm »
You might say this game is a... "Rainbow Dash"

:3
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 01:51:01 pm »
Why haven't we flogged him yet?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 05:56:18 pm »
>guy on GS makes platformer
>guy on GS doesn't ask a master platformer to playtest game

0/10
pirate it
/fitz

huehuehue

Looks really neat, man! It reminds me of a game I grabbed on the 3DS called Color Zen. I love the idea of messing with colors and changing the world around you. You have a demo? When does it drop on the eShop?

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 06:39:21 pm »
Did you hear that? Pat said he hates it and it's derivative.

Oh and this looks really cool, if I get any money on the eShop I'll definitely pick this up.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 07:53:15 pm »
Looks really neat, man! It reminds me of a game I grabbed on the 3DS called Color Zen. I love the idea of messing with colors and changing the world around you. You have a demo? When does it drop on the eShop?

As it stands right now we don't have any sort of formal demo really.  We occasionally put together builds for showcases like Indiecade, but we're a long way's out from any sort of public demo.  If you were in town I'd invite you over by our office to do some testing though, as that's always a good time.

As far as an actual release, we're pushing for Summer 2015, though that might get nudged about a bit depending on how things go.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 10:57:27 pm »
Well I'm gonna watch the video reeeeal hard then and see what I can see. :D

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 07:52:39 am »
Martyk, that looks awesome and ridiculously fun. Amazing work.

Now I'm kind of sad I don't have a Wii U.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 07:59:13 am »
Oh, I totally misread this and thought it was on 3DS. Sorry Marty, looks like I can't get this one. But it looks good either way :D

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 08:27:17 am »
Hey Martyk, what's your experience been like working in video game development? What's your position/education/etc? Was it easy to get the job?

I'm curious, I mean, it's what I want to do also.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 09:00:30 am »
Hey Martyk, what's your experience been like working in video game development? What's your position/education/etc? Was it easy to get the job?

I'm curious, I mean, it's what I want to do also.

As far as education goes my background is primarily programming, but last year I enrolled in a game design post-grad at George Brown College here in Toronto.  That's sort of how this ball got rolling.  The way they set up the course they sort of encouraged us to think of ourselves as a studio.  We all ended up working really well together so we decided to try our hand at this whole "running a studio" business for real, and so we started up 13AM Games.

So I guess in that sense, it wasn't that tricky to get the job, what with myself being currently self-employed, but the road that got me here was a long one.  We all work late nights regularly and, so far at least, don't actually make any money.  That said, despite the amount of work that goes into developing a game, it's an absurd amount of fun and we all love what we do.  It's hard work, but it's always a blast, and times like this when we get to show off what we've been up to and hear people's feedback make all that hard work worth it.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 09:34:04 am »
Hey, that's pretty reassuring to hear. I'm in my third year of a CS degree and plan on doing a masters in game design. :P
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 09:35:43 am »
Marty that game looks sick as ****! Cool idea and the trailer looks like it has some unique execution (the multi-striped color background seems like it would be incredibly hectic with the platform interactions, awesome). Good luck man!
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 11:55:21 am »
Out of curiosity, are there any positions in game design or whatever for people that can't program?

I've tried it, I can't do it. Programming makes me crazy and is not anything like how my brain likes to operate. I just get mad and bored. But I know so much about games and mechanics and I know good games. I want to help but feel like I can't and that people don't want someone like me on a game project anyway because I "don't know how to do anything."

Any wisdom? :o

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 01:07:58 pm »
You definitely do not need to know programing to get into game design.  Making a game requires a wide range of different skill sets, which I think is why we work so well together here at 13AM Games.  We've got a very eclectic mix of backgrounds.  In the nine of us on the team, only two of us are programmers, and before last year we were the only ones who had ever done anything like this before.  Skills that aren't immediately apparent as being useful can turn out to be a lot more essential than many would think. 

We've got guys on the team with backgrounds in writing, film, engineering, advertisement, not to mention our artists and programmers.  All of them bring to the table their unique experiences, which allows us to have a broader base to work with when designing our games, and a wider skill set to draw from while developing them.