Author Topic: Gamergate: War on Festivus Edition  (Read 40717 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Gamergate: War on Festivus Edition
« Reply #690 on: March 14, 2017, 02:26:57 am »
Welcome to [current year], where everything is political.

Did you know that for the three hours I listened to NPR today, literally (LITERALLY) every story they discussed across three different hour-long shows made every single topic about race. Everything! They do it every day. Everything! It's nuts. And it's not just them, but NPR is definitely one of the worst after FOX News. They're striving to look at every issue through the lens of race or gender or oppression and no ****ing wonder nobody is happy anymore and everyone is fighting.

::)

Well unfortunately there still are big problems around race and gender but because the regressive ****lords decide to attack well-meaning people and make mountains out of micromolehills the real problems get obfuscated and it seems like a lot of fuss is being made over nothing. Yeah there are way more black people in poverty than white people in America but CHECK IT OUT some white lady made a joke about AIDS on twitter, let's ruin her life :D
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 14, 2017, 03:41:39 am »
Yeah there are way more black people in poverty than white people in America but CHECK IT OUT some white lady made a joke about AIDS on twitter, let's ruin her life :D

26% of 12% is still less than 10% of 72%. Making race a factor in your anti-poverty policy (implying the USA has a poverty reduction policy) only divides people and distracts from treating the root cause of poverty: Not having enough money. There's no gene for that.

Unless you meant that there are more black people in poverty (in the world) compared to white people in America (in total) in which case that's probably true, but I don't see why you'd be comparing those numbers unless you're complaining about excessive first-world consumption of resources.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 04:26:30 am by /lurk »
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 14, 2017, 04:19:59 am »
edit: nevermind i'm not getting into this argument
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:48:20 am by Gungnir »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #693 on: March 14, 2017, 06:53:06 am »
But Lurk is right when he says it is about poverty and money. We can frame it as a race issue, but that doesn't help get things solved because clearly as a society we can't handle framing things as a race issue anymore. That moniker is used and abused and toxic. The facts of the matter are that it is always poor people getting screwed over and it is always rich people getting away with crime. There is no fairness and so there is anger and animosity.

Framing every issue as a race or gender issue only ensures that a solution will never be found amidst the bickering. That's the tactic.

Dunno which shows you were listening or what topics they were talking about but Rep. King gave them a big excuse to talk about race in at least one context.

Radio Times, The Takeaway, and 1A. Any issue they talk about, they frame it through race and gender issues and they haven't been able to have a proper discussion on anything. I'm not suggesting that they need to stop framing issues this way. What I am suggesting is that perhaps you start to poison the well beyond a certain point and that it is worthwhile to look at other issues. The issue of poverty is touched on, but only ever as a race or gender issue. You'd think there were no poor white people the way they talk on these shows. And by neglecting that aspect of poverty makes it easy to frame it all up and blame it on race.

It's dumb and unhealthy.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 14, 2017, 09:20:19 am »
At least Diane Rehm finally retired.  Not sure how she did a radio show for so long without having a functional voice.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #695 on: March 14, 2017, 10:42:35 am »
See, we never got her show in my region. But we do get the show that replaced her. Admittedly, 1A is an interesting show and seems to handle its debates much better than The Takeaway. And then Radio Times is a locally produced show about local issues. They used to do very very good work, but lately it's all been a bit meh.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 14, 2017, 04:33:28 pm »
Now we have THREE politics threads.

I predict by the end of the year most of the heavily trafficked boards will be solid politics with a few holdout bands of survivors huddling in the spore forum and forum games trying to stay out of it.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #697 on: March 14, 2017, 05:03:39 pm »
Forum games is the most political board on this forum.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 14, 2017, 05:41:03 pm »
Honestly any content creator that isn't Northernlion is garbage anyway.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 14, 2017, 08:23:12 pm »
I like quill and arumba... I liky the paradox
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 14, 2017, 08:39:53 pm »
Yeah they're good, but they're not Northernlion. sorry, I don't make the rules
the real saviour of this forum

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #701 on: March 24, 2017, 06:56:46 am »
Had to listen to this on the radio this morning: http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/thepulse/item/102358-game-designer-wants-to-take-her-cultural-critique-to-congress

Literally who??

And don't think she can't win. Anything is possible. :U

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #702 on: March 24, 2017, 11:12:30 am »
If Democrats start going full SJW then I will threaten to register with a third party but not do it because then I'd just be giving my vote in the primaries to them.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #703 on: March 24, 2017, 01:26:36 pm »
because then I'd just be giving my vote in the primaries to them.

They've got us trapped!