Author Topic: Gamergate: War on Festivus Edition  (Read 40674 times)

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Journalism: You're a Horrible Person, Click here to find out why.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 08:34:09 pm »
*time out for group hug and donuts*

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 08:46:57 pm »
No Slinky. You are young and must learn our ways.

We will let them kill one another.   ._.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 12:10:43 am »
It's cool Slinky. I'll share a package of Milanos with you. They are the greatest time out snack. Better than doughnuts.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:12:51 am by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 12:44:28 am »
You know, sometimes I see this shoddy journalism, weak reviews, boring articles, press release parroting..
Makes me wanna start a blog and be some nobody game reviewer and just talk about games. I'd have a small, humble following but it'd be nice.

But I see what dudes like TotalBiscuit go through. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says but I appreciate his work.
Honestly, I'd find it incredibly annoying to make my own space, share some thoughts, and then have people who don't appreciate ANYTHING butt on in and give me crap over nothing.

It's nothing. It's air.

I wonder if that's how these journalists feel.
I figure they're still in the wrong for their dishonesty and self-righteousness, not even mentioning the collusion and god awful pandering.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 02:08:12 am »
You can write for the Brian Jacques Experiment
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 06:15:13 am »
Agreed.

That mainstream games journalism may be falling apart is only to our advantage and a complete coincidence. :3

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 06:25:30 am »
And soon you will be able to sign your own deal with Doritos to sell corn chips.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 06:26:31 am »
Send me that sweet sweet Dew.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 08:09:23 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsDpX9WSXnc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsDpX9WSXnc</a>

**EDIT**
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqJCCnued6c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqJCCnued6c</a>
This video is older. But is an early Internet Aristocrat video about the Anita lady.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:38:25 am by PatMan33 »

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 09:52:16 am »
If I don't survive, tell my wife I said, "Hello."

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 09:54:42 am »
As someone who considers themselves something of a non-partisan on this topic, I'm curious, what do people see as the end-game for this stuff? Debating endlessly on things like doxxing or feminism in games or pay-per-clicks or whatever? For the life of me, I can't see any outcome other than people eventually getting bored of the topic and moving on to talk about something else, with no real resolution or closure of any kind. I'm so jaded by all this.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2014, 10:08:55 am »
I want the corruption in games journalism to stop because it's messing with the industry. Kotaku sucks.

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2014, 10:25:28 am »
I dunno. I don't see much of an endgame besides some blackballing. I don't think even a few of these people will ever apologize or otherwise own up to their cock-ups, I doubt that we'll see much change in the long-term but I figure this might scare enough people to behave for awhile short-term. Maybe.
There's been a lot of downright miserable behavior on part of the journalist, feminist, and SJW crowd. They need a huge dose of empathy but since their focus always seems to be outward at everyone else they'll never look inside themselves and see that they're being complete douchebags.

I don't expect a site like kotaku to shut down over this. The notion is silly. But I do hope that every sane person who saw this fiasco go on gets their facts in order, uses the names of every one of these pricks and never does business with them again.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2014, 10:49:09 am »
Yeah isn't it great? Gauph, get the corn.

To be more serious though. I agree, it's more than one issue. On the point that I am fond of, the issue of ethical games journalists, I've already made my choice. I stopped reading their stuff years ago. I don't even give them clicks. But I would like to have a mainstream games media again that I can visit and enjoy. There's nothing wrong with having a mainstream, they can do things that bloggers can't.

And then on the "women in gaming" thing, I think they have good points too. There are fewer women represented in gaming either as protagonists or antagonists. But none of that matters if the game is bad. And so when I and other gamers see the development process getting interrupted or otherwise bothered by these so-called social justice warriors, resentment will form. Because that's just stupid.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 10:56:31 am by PatMan33 »

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2014, 11:58:30 am »
Oh I wasn't lumping them together, I was just saying... Any of those things, really.

That said, with regards to representation of women in video games, I think there'll always be misrepresentations, but the true representations will improve over time and increase in number. That's possibly partially due to people like Sarkeesian, but for the most part I think it'll be due to the increasing exposure of video games to the mainstream market and acceptance as a form of media on par with TV or film. In the short term, a lot of the people who think they're helping just seem to be making things worse.
No way dude, you're trolling me.