Author Topic: Gamergate: War on Festivus Edition  (Read 40737 times)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Gamergate: War on Festivus Edition
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:14:47 pm »
There's been a lot of talk recently about the state of video game journalism.  We've known Kotaku SucksTM for a long time now, but it seems this whole Quinnspiracy thing has blown up the issue.  So far we've been mostly talking about it in the off topic topic, but this seems like an issue that's going to be around for a while and I figured it can have it's own thread.  So the Kotaku Sucks thread can be for actual news about games, and this thread can be about all the hacks surrounding gaming.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 09:48:56 pm by Inkling »

Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Journalism: You're a Horrible Person, Click here to find out why.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 08:16:59 pm »
First up, from the BBC.  An online petition with two thousand signatures is big enough to be newsworthy, and you're sexist if you don't believe Anita.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29028236

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 10:04:28 pm »
Incoming "cry about Anita Sarkeesian on the internet dot com" thread.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 10:21:18 pm »
Yeah, maybe.  There's lots of stuff flying around, I'm taking all of it with a grain of salt.  Anita is a known quantity, I'm just surprised that this was on the front page of the BBC.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:28:02 pm »
Mainstream proliferation in five... four... three...

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 11:37:59 am »
All this "game journalism" stuff is such whiny BS. It makes for entertaining drama, and while one side is usually obviously right, they're almost always right in a way that's just as obnoxious (if not downright horrendous) as their rivals.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 05:39:13 pm »
Incoming "cry about Anita Sarkeesian on the internet dot com" thread.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 06:20:04 pm »
I've been watching this mess since it started.

I love it. :3

EDIT: http://webmup.com/hGMI3/
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 06:24:48 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 06:29:47 pm »
Plank clearly falls into the troll category with his coach Boomer impression.

Or maybe I'm sick of this tired arseing Anita Sarkeesian topic enveloping all conversation that is barely tangentially related to it since 2012, like some sort of escaped goo monster experiment.

But since I'm not writing that in the form of a 12 paragraph long thesis like every other circlejerk on the subject I'm clearly a troll.

Online sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 06:39:48 pm »
I'm kinda with Plank on this. If we want to talk about gaming journalism (and since journalism is the field I work in, I'm always passionate about discussing it) let's maybe use a less polarizing, exhausted topic as a starting point? Please?
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 06:51:45 pm »
Your attitude is dismissive, not constructive and most of all, your attitude is an impediment to any resolution that would end the very thing you are sick of.  You are helping to perpetuate what you hate.

I wrote what I wrote in part because of a video that was linked to in boogie2988's twitter feed:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E76CVY5ZPJc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E76CVY5ZPJc</a>

I empathize with this guy.   If you can't, I am sorry for you.  Casting aspersions by referring to everything in this thread as crying or whining/whinging, which is so common in gaming chats and forums, is just being a **** to other human beings.  So, yes, you are clearly acting like a troll.

I'm sorry if I've upset you, but as someone who has heard literally every single possible slant and argument on this entire fiasco I really don't care for the subject at all any more, especially in a thread that was supposed be about something completely different. Absolutely nobody, nobody, at this point is in this debate with the assumption they will change or progress their views in any way. "Debating" Anita Sarkeesian's antics is more akin to masturbation than actually debating anything 2 years down the line. The argument isn't getting "resolved", nor do I expect "what I hate most" (lel am I a Jedi now) to vanish.

If you want to say that's "acting like a troll" (whatever that even means at this point), then w/e.

I'm kinda with Plank on this. If we want to talk about gaming journalism (and since journalism is the field I work in, I'm always passionate about discussing it) let's maybe use a less polarizing, exhausted topic as a starting point? Please?

Exactly.

Let's talk about what I think is actually one of the main reasons, if not the reason, why most games journalism is garbage - the fact that per-click ad revenue  is by far the most prevalent way writers for new media are paid. It inherently leads to sensationalism and clickbait throughout the games journalism trade, and means that actually good writers are forced to write the Buzzfeed-esque "Hottest Boob in Gaming" lists we've all come to know and cherish.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:01:43 pm by Plank of Wood »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 06:58:36 pm »
I've been watching this mess since it started.

I love it. :3

YES YES

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 07:14:08 pm »
[snip ]Anita Sarkeesian [snip]

You keep using that name.  I never did.  My posts were about 1) gaming journalists attacking all gamers without cause 2)"Google-challenged" celebrities running with that anti-gamer narrative 3) demonstrating how that narrative is despicable.

Don't even pretend that's not what the whole thing is referring to/centred around.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 07:19:35 pm »

Online sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 07:24:49 pm »
Exactly.

Let's talk about what I think is actually one of the main reasons, if not the reason, why most games journalism is garbage - the fact that per-click ad revenue  is by far the most prevalent way writers for new media are paid. It inherently leads to sensationalism and clickbait throughout the games journalism trade, and means that actually good writers are forced to write the Buzzfeed-esque "Hottest Boob in Gaming" lists we've all come to know and cherish.

Yeah. I don't like the impact that whole structure is having (which, it's worth noting, is unfortunately not exclusive to games journalism).

I just came across a pretty comprehensive editorial from April in American Journalism Review regarding how audience data is or should be used in newsrooms.

I admittedly haven't read the whole thing yet (gotta wake up a 3 AM tomorrow, so I'm heading to bed early) but it seems to make some interesting criticisms: http://ajr.org/2014/04/15/give-journalists-right-metrics-pay-performance/

Specifically:

when used poorly, metrics can lead to low morale in newsrooms and justify fears that the desire to create great or important content will be sacrificed in favor of cat videos and an endless stream of Miley Cyrus stories. The critics (and anyone who saw MTV’s Video Music Awards last year) are right to fear this.

To be clear, healthy and unhealthy uses of data are not binary states so much as a continuum on which almost all modern newsrooms sit. Two key factors indicate where on the continuum any particular organization will perch:

1.   Does the newsroom focus on metrics that align with good content and long-term audience growth, or on metrics that focus on link optimization and short-term revenue growth?

2.  Does the newsroom frame metrics as data intended to support and illuminate, or as a yardstick against which journalists will be paid?

Getting to the healthy end of the continuum starts with picking the right metrics, and then avoiding the temptation to pay journalists based on those metrics.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master