Author Topic: King Kong!  (Read 5281 times)

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
King Kong!
« on: December 28, 2005, 08:52:16 am »
Well, I scrolled a bit and didn't find any King Kong movie review topics. The film is out and what does everyone think?

Personally, I thought it was better than the original, and, my god, it's Jack Black in a serious role in a serious movie. HOW CAN THIS BE?!
But really, this movie was sooo action packed.

[Very minor spoiler] The only thing I didn't really connect with is the over-extended scene at the end on top of the tower. Maybe I'm not sentimental enough for it.

I can't wait for a DVD release. :)
((Also, I assume this thread will have spoilers abound, so make sure to warn about spoilers)).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 08:54:32 am by Jecrell »

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
Re: King Kong!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 11:28:09 am »
My friends complained about the length and the special effects being not-so-special (especially the dinos compared to Jurassic Park) - I didn't have any of these complaints - there was only one point where the effects looked less than stellar to me, and that was a minor gripe.  I loved seeing New York in the 20's!

It just didn't leave a lasting impression on me.  There were several inconsistencies in the movie as well.  Also...don't these people notice the fluctuations in temperatures at all?!?!  There's a part of the movie where something on a person should "be able to cut glass"....but that person seems to be prancing about on a warm spring day!

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 03:47:24 pm »
I liked the movie a lot. Maybe it's just because it was one in the morning and I was really tired (to paint a picture of how tired, my friend played a hunting game at an arcade in the theater and shouted "I shot it in the ass!" and I thought that was incredibly hilarious).

I was amazed that the special effects were as good as they were. I wasn't expecting anything less, but it looked like there was actually a giant gorrilla on screen with the actors! >>>The scene with the bugs was the coolest. Giant leeches abound!<<<

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 04:22:52 pm »
That movie was great.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 04:23:33 pm »
I would like to see it while its still in theaters.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 05:04:10 pm »
I quite liked it but I saw the Producers this morning and i enjoyed that even more. King Kong is kind of heavy going, Skull Island is just too nasty a place. Thank God it doesnt exist! (or does it? dum dum duum ::))
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 05:12:49 pm »

It really needs to be seen, in the theaters because it is so good and the experience is incredible.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 08:28:34 pm »

Don't just settle for theaters, go to iMax. Do you know how much ass that would kick? I have a relatively small ass, but it could probably kick five of my asses.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 12:05:15 am »
I thought it was a kickass movie, not really for the story but the awesome awesome special effects. Also the audience would go "ewww" at all the times that would call for it. Also, my sister's  17 year old boyfriend was freaking out at the bug parts. It was fun laughing at him.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 12:42:52 pm »
It's a pretty great film, but marred by some major flaws.

It's way too long, and by that I mean it spends too much time building up characters who are not central to the plot.
The special effects when they get it right are just awesome, but some scenes look unfinished (the brontasaurus stampede for instance).
Good scenes are ruined by going on for too long.The fight with the T-Rexs lasts so long that it takes away from the wonder of the spectacle as you start to look to see how it is done.
Some of the scenes look as if they are there to provide content for the video game ( the scenes with Jamie bell leaping from platform to platform in the bronty stampede, for instance).

It is a pity because the scenes between Naomi Watts and King Kong are just amazing, if not Oscar worthy.The decision to change the dynamic of the relationship from one with an undercurrent of sexual tension, to one where there is a meeting of two lost lonely souls, is a major plus point.
I just watched the original again and have to say that it is still the better of the two movies, but Jacksons remake gives it a run for its money.
If he hadn't been so self indulgent and edited the movie down by about an hour, he would probably have the superior film.

As it stands, it's a great movie, just not as great as it could have been.

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 12:44:57 pm »
Oh man....I blocked those bug parts out of my mind - that was NASTY!!!  (It doesn't help that I have a fear of spiders...)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 01:43:38 pm »
Oh man....I blocked those bug parts out of my mind - that was NASTY!!! (It doesn't help that I have a fear of spiders...)
Never mind the spiders. The MAGGOTS! eurgh!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 01:47:37 pm »
Never mind the spiders. The MAGGOTS! eurgh!

Those weren't maggots, those were giant leeches.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 02:06:20 pm »
Why Lumpy??? WHYY????

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline AndromedaRoach

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 07:36:37 pm »
Actually, they were neither maggots nor leeches; they were giant intestinal worms. Apparently, they dropped out of some dinosaur's rectum eons ago, managed to survive and thrive in the hotsprings water, and, well, if you've seen what happened to the microbes on the Genesis planet in the Star Trek movies....

Don't believe me? There's a section on the official site called the Bestiary... and... well, I can't really recommend a thorough reading of it to most of you, but it has a few interesting creature ideas. There's a page making fun of it all here (contains profanity). So... yeah.

I thought it was a great movie, not so enjoyable but very entertaining. I actually liked the length, at least in the effects scenes - I like having a lot of time to watch it! As for the Jurassic Park movies, the CG effects here trounce every one of them. If you think a JP closeup shot looks better, it's because it used animatronics.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 11:09:28 pm »
I thought it was a great movie. I cringed though when Kong snapped the T-Rex's jaw!

Sure, it was a little long, maybe not quite as long as it needed to be, but thats a really small point, and it really didnt bother me.

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • It was either that or a rattle-snake bite...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2005, 11:53:51 am »
I think this was fantastic. Maybe not as family-friendly as it was intended, but far exceeding my expectations. It did a lot better job making him an ape then the original, and the emotions as well. Fantastic movie.

The only buying point for going to see it though was what Steve said on his show about Pete and a producer paying all that money to get it the way he wanted it to be. In my opinion, it was worth it.

Wow, this makes me realize how long it's been since I was an active user here.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 04:29:15 pm »
I thought it was fantastic and the perfect length for its kind of movie.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Alan

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
    • alanlongstaff.net
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2006, 05:03:33 pm »
Excellent film, it lived up to my expectations.

It was quite obvious from the start that Ann's relationship with Kong couldn't last, just imagine the implications of dating a 25ft gorilla. Things could get messy.