Author Topic: Planetary Construction Project 3 -- Planning Stage  (Read 4985 times)

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Planetary Construction Project 3 -- Planning Stage
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:04:07 pm »
The basics:

First off, unlike the previous two PCPs, which were cylindrical, this one would be spherical. To achieve that, we start with a blank map with the outlines of the continents on it (e.g. http://ladympire.com/wiki/images/b/b7/PCP3_Huge.png). The map would is 5000 x 2500 pixels, with one equatorial pixel being ~5 mi (~8 km). We achieve sphericality via an overlay on Google Earth. This makes it quite easy to see the true shape of the world we will build. Changes made to the base map would be updated in the overlay properties, so as not to move the overlay once it's in place. Also, any cities or places on interest added as placemarks within Google Earth instead of being directly placed on the map. All these things can be shared via the exportation of .KMZ files.

Now, to the actual game. We start out with a blank continental map (see above). This removes the player from trying to figure out hoe the heck to make the map look right on a sphere using a equirectangular projection. Before we actually start playing I would assign regions of the map to have organisms from a specific continent. This makes it show whever people end up, we'll know basically what organisms live in the region and we can easily keep it consistent. For example, on the above map, the bigger continent on the left  could be Afro-Eurasian organisms (in roughly the same orientation), the smaller continent South of it could be Oceanian organisms (including Australia), the continents on the right could be North and South American organisms (probably with the small isthmus at the equator bring the rough boundary line), and the poles could be their respective Arctic and Antarctic organisms. The by product of this approach is that humans would have evolved on the South-Western portion of the large continent on the left, and spread out from there.

Now, the game would be played in a series of "snapshots." Each snap shot is basically a glimpse of the world during a given period. The first snap shot is the one where we fill in the biomes and topography. The second snapshot could possibly be dealing with the migration of prehistoric peoples to fill out where people have migrated and what races are where. The third snapshot could be the startings of civilization, etc. How much time passes on each snap shot is up for debate, but basically each snapshot shows the world during the era we choose for it to be.

The players would be given a certain number of points each snapshot and would purchase the area they wish to work in that round. Areas would be determined before the round started and would be different every round. Players would have to purchase land from scratch every round. This is done to allow people to come and go from playing as they choose, so the game never gets bogged down waiting for people to play.

Things we need to decide before we start:
  • Figure out who's playing in the Biome Generation round!

I want your opinions!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 05:07:32 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Planetary Construction Project 3 -- Planning Stage
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:13:52 pm »
The map reminds me of a fractal type of map from Civ, which is neat. But I feel like there's going to be a lot of water, even once the map is overlayed on the sphere and continents take a more natural shape. Could we maybe have one or two larger bits of land that aren't as narrow? Maybe fatten a few sections of existing land a bit.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 04:06:21 pm »
I actually created it with the equal proportions of land to water as Earth. The difference is that the land is more spread out (i.e. narrow).

I'll whip up some options and we can go from there.

Here are some test renders (I'll make full sized ones if they are chosen):

If none of these work I can keep going. Also orientation can be altered for any of them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:54:58 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 07:42:46 pm »
I like number one the least. Two and three are both really neat!

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 09:30:25 am »
I'll put up a poll!

Remember to view them on Google Earth to get a true perceptive on what they look like.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 09:38:32 am »
I keep getting an error when trying to open the maps in Google Earth. How exactly do we do it?

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 09:43:45 am »
There should be a button called "Add Image Overlay." Click that. A menu will pop up. Click the "Browse..." button and select the map you want to use. You'll see the map but it won't take up the whole globe. Use the green lines on the edges to resize it to take up the whole globe. Be careful when dragging it up to the poles, it's very finicky about that. Then, instead of making a new overlay to make another globe, just copy the current one so you only have to set it up once. If you ever want to edit a current one, just right click it on the left and select "Properties."

Hope that helps!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 12:56:45 pm »
Alright! Kinda worked, they overlay now but they are way too small and only cover about 1/3 of the globe.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 12:57:48 pm »
Alright! Kinda worked, they overlay now but they are way too small and only cover about 1/3 of the globe.

Drag the green lines, man! (You have to do this with the properties window still open).

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 01:00:56 pm »
*nudge nudge*

The reason I am asking you these questions is because you never gave us a tutorial and I know using Google Earth like this will be new to... probably everyone. >_>

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 01:16:35 pm »
Fair enough. Though once we pick a map, I can make it a .kmz file and no one will have to edit the map overlay manually again.

Edit: I added another map to the poll. I also gave you guys the ability to change your vote, if you want. It's probably to most Earth-like of the maps, but people like options, right?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:56:45 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 04:27:10 pm »
Only three votes. There is technically a leader, but not sure I should call it with such a low number of voters. Thoughts, potential participants?

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 05:58:15 pm »
I might join up.

I voted for the newest one, but the one with two votes is my second choice out of the rest.

I'm in favor of continent-bereft polar regions. Antarctica is such a waste of continent.

You should add ice caps in the Google Earth representation in either case.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:44:47 pm by Brandonazz »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 04:55:40 pm »
Don't worry, we'll get to the biome stage once we pick a map.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 03:38:46 am »
It'd be cool to figure out how the surface currents and climate would be affected by having two ice caps rather than one ice cap and one giant glaciated continent.