Author Topic: Dawn of Worlds: Tabula Rasa  (Read 15444 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Dawn of Worlds: Tabula Rasa
« on: March 07, 2014, 08:48:48 am »
Guys, guys. Remember Dawn of Worlds? Well we're running another game. No dumb DnD setting being forced down your throats this time.

Read the rules here: http://www.clanwebsite.org/games/rpg/Dawn_of_Worlds_game_1_0Final.pdf

Turn by turn ARCS log:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_cGk276c7oGiEfLy9IrDZ38bGYxfeJ8EMOcoo-yZ2_E/edit?usp=sharing

The Wiki:
 http://dawn-of-worlds-tabula-rasa.wikia.com/wiki/Main

The two games we played before:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=17355.0
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=18422.0

Rules will mostly be as they are in the PDF, with some possible minor tweaks to prevent abuse of avatars. I'm also considering the addition of a "non-player player" representing random chance/fate which would be under the collective democratic control of everyone. Anyone have any ideas for house rules lets hear them. 

Players:
Sam - The Ternion
Marty - Lod the Builder
Tesla - Eua and Uea
Inkling - The Throok
Neo - Borishin The Covetous
Pat - The God Eater
Wizard - Vex the Author
Brandon - Zel the Soulsmith

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 05:03:18 am by Krakow Sam »

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of Worlds: Tabula Rasa
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 08:53:17 am »
To try and avoid falling into standard fantasy patterns we brainstormed a "creation myth" for the game, which elaborates a little on the origin of the gods and the nature of the world that will be our plaything.

The Setting (Creation Myth and Cosmology)
I. In the beginning the gods awoke into their realm, the empty void. The gods numbered in the hundreds, or perhaps thousands. They knew not where they had come from, all awoke at the same time and discovered one another. The gods do not have form or experience time as we do, they are beings of thought and concept and energy. The gods were young and did not yet have strong  personalities.

II. As the gods explored the infinite, empty void which was their home they found Tools, which some call the Divine Devices. The gods did not know the origin or purpose of these Tools. The bold among the gods took up the tools and found some could be used to affect the properties of the Empty Void and the other gods. The bearers of the Tools used them to create curious things from the nothingness, though they did not know how the Tools were to be used and their creations were flawed.
This happened forever, because Time did not exist yet.

III. Some gods who had taken up Tools began to work together and created a great knot in the Empty Void called World. They did not know how the Tools were to be used so their creation was flawed. A knot which was a domed disk whose top was its bottom, infinite and thin at the edges. Half filled with the solid rock of the land and half filled with the empty rock of the sky. The knot was woven with a pattern called Time.

IV. Those who had not taken up tools saw the knot that was World and coveted it, despite its imperfection, and sought to snatch up Tools for themselves. The gods fought over the tools and tore each other apart. The gods are eternal and can never be entirely destroyed. Their fragments became spirits, demons, elementals, angels and other such things. Those who were not torn apart grew wary of violence.

V. The gods saw the knot that was World had begun to unravel while they had been fighting, for it lacked the eternal spark which gods had, which allowed them to live on as spirits and demons after they had been torn apart. The gods deigned to share their spark with the world, and some among them were chosen as sacrifice. Some number of gods were torn apart by the others in a second way, and made the Godheart, which mortals call Sun, to warm the World, and the Starlines, to hold the World together so it would not unravel.

VI. The spirits and elementals and demons and angels who were the fragments of the gods who had been torn apart felt the warmth of the Godheart and flocked to the knot called World. The gods saw how the fragments flocked to the World and noticed how empty the World now seemed, and how imperfect. The gods which had taken up Tools ordained to make the World less empty and more perfect. They did not know how the Tools were to be used so their efforts were flawed.

Quick rundown of the main elements of the world. All names are tentative. Every race will probably have their own names/theories for these things.

The Empty Void: The realm of the gods. The empty void has absolutely no properties and is for all intents and purposes nothing. It can be stirred up and shaped into things by the Tools.

The World: The World is a tapering 'disk' floating in the empty void. The top of the sky is continuous with the bottom of the land, so the whole thing just wraps around on itself vertically. If one were to dig deep enough one would eventually fall out of the sky.

The Godheart: Basically the equivalent of the Sun. It is stationary in the sky (and indeed underground). Analogous to a real heart, it beats once a day, sending its energy through the Starlines. As a result, day and night transition quickly and abruptly with a loud 'whoosh' which can be heard throughout the whole world. From the ground, it looks the same as our real sun. At night the residual energy contained inside it makes it glow a faint moon-like silver.

The Starlines: The veins of the cosmos, visible from the ground as faint lines of silver. When the Godheart beats and night falls, energy and light spreads gradually through all the veins, lighting the sky. When day breaks, all the light rushes abruptly back into the heart.

Sky: An airy atmosphere full of normal sky stuff. The dome of the sky is made from rock, though it is not visible as such from the ground.

Land: A rocky mass of land full of normal rock stuff. Heat from the Godheart and Starlines creates magma where they touch the rock. The game's play area is on the surface of the rocky land mass. 

The Thin Places: The edges of the world are infinite, but reality stretches thin here and the laws of physics fail. The further you travel in any direction, the thinner reality gets and the less supportive of life they are. Spirits, demons and other fragments of gods can exist here without trouble.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:41:33 am by Krakow Sam »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 11:54:35 am »
Awesome!  I'm definitely on board.  What sort of things are you looking for in profiles for our Gods?
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 12:21:02 pm »
Well you know I'm in. :P

Awesome!  I'm definitely on board.  What sort of things are you looking for in profiles for our Gods?

Just be creative. The general aim, as Sam said, is to move away from typical fantasy tropes. Keep in mind that while the gods don't really understand their nature, they may not be (and probably won't be) honest about that with mortals. The Gods aren't Gods of things like war, or love, or whatever, although some Gods may have access to Tools which allow them a special proficiency in some area.

As a God, you have total power in the creation of life. This includes the establishment of an afterlife, or lack thereof.

Oh also, Sam didn't go into much detail about the nature of the Tools. They can be literally anything, they could be an actual tool, a word, a person, an idea, a special dance. Go nuts.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 02:49:39 pm »
Yes.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 04:17:54 pm »
Something about an axe!
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 07:56:42 am »
Well you know I'm in. :P

Just be creative. The general aim, as Sam said, is to move away from typical fantasy tropes. Keep in mind that while the gods don't really understand their nature, they may not be (and probably won't be) honest about that with mortals. The Gods aren't Gods of things like war, or love, or whatever, although some Gods may have access to Tools which allow them a special proficiency in some area.

As a God, you have total power in the creation of life. This includes the establishment of an afterlife, or lack thereof.

Oh also, Sam didn't go into much detail about the nature of the Tools. They can be literally anything, they could be an actual tool, a word, a person, an idea, a special dance. Go nuts.

Oh yeah. The implication is all the player character gods have access to one or more of these special Tools which allow them more power to influence the world and create things. I think in line with not wanting something too traditional fantasy it would be nice to see gods which aren't just basically superheroes, like the Greek or Norse pantheons, and are a bit more weird and inscrutable.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 09:07:01 am »
-On The Godheart Emperor-

The Godheart Emperor, more commonly known as the God Eater, is a being from the depths of the void that was drawn to the knot of the world after its inception. Possessing no Tools of its own, the God Eater set about gathering up the shattered remains that were strewn about the young realm. It consumed the fragments and through this process the God Eater became stronger. Sufficiently powerful, the God Eater decided to take a Tool for its own. Using a whirlwind of souls for protection, the God Eater set upon a lesser being and devoured it before stealing its Tool. The God Eater had watched this lesser presence for some time and knew it had some dominion over souls. It was the perfect fit.

With a Tool, the God Eater's abilities to manipulate the many fragments of the old gods had enhanced significantly. Using its strength, the God Eater claimed the title of Emperor. Over time many wayward spirits have found themselves enthralled and ensnared by the God Eater's power. Yet the God Eater remains content, sated by the power of the old gods and gleeful at the trickle of ethereal followers that seem all-too-willing to give themselves up.

Basic idea I had. Thoughts? Does it fit? Let's rap, yo.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:31:58 am by PatMan33 »

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 09:42:20 am »
I feel like the Godheart shouldn't be conscious, and that a hierarchy should be established by play, not established at the outset.  The gods are squabbling children, not the pantheons of old, and none are set above the other.

It's a decent mythology, but I just don't think it works with what we've established here, at least not as a start condition.  It might make more sense later on, if a powerful god were to seize control of the Godheart and name himself Emperor.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 10:57:39 am »
I would like to join.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 01:35:04 pm »
I feel like the Godheart shouldn't be conscious, and that a hierarchy should be established by play, not established at the outset.  The gods are squabbling children, not the pantheons of old, and none are set above the other.

It's a decent mythology, but I just don't think it works with what we've established here, at least not as a start condition.  It might make more sense later on, if a powerful god were to seize control of the Godheart and name himself Emperor.

I was talking to Pat on steam about this. The Godheart isn't conscious he's just playing an opportunistic god who's sort of jumped the gun and declared it belongs to him on the basis of nothing. Also the only hierarchy seems to be that this guy has a following of lesser spirits and such.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 01:37:15 pm »
Well, in that case that's exactly the sort of shenanigans I'd expect from this setup.

As you were!

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 02:28:23 pm »
I'm in too.

Dat dere is some sexy cosmology.

I promise not to flake for a little bit.

EDIT: Also I did not previously know there was a term for something relevant I'm sure all of you have done: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracosm
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:31:18 pm by Brandonazz »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 02:41:28 pm »
-The Ternion-

The Ternion was one of the gods who had taken a Tool before the creation of the World, a triangular arrangement of points sometimes called the Triune Motes. Repeated use of the Tool and meditations on it caused the Ternion to become increasingly attuned to its nature and it has become entangled with the concept of Triplicity and the mysteries of points, lines and angles. The Ternion wove its geometries into the knot of the World to give it stability, but interference from the other gods introduced irritating instabilities and un-triplicate patterns into the weave, causing the Ternion to believe its work is far from complete.

Ok with Brandon joining we'll have eight players, which seems like plenty, so no more new players as of now!

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 05:47:53 pm »
-Borishin The Covetous-

More than any other god, Borishin is fascinated by their imperfect creations.  This is because, in the world they have crafted, even the least of their work has been invested with purpose.  The earth holds firm, the sky flows free, the Heart beats true.

What purpose is there in a god?  They awoke without rhyme or reason, filled with power but no direction.  The others may be content to follow their whims, but Borishin finds himself jealous of these lesser things that dare possess what he does not.

Wielding shears that can cut anything and a needle that may bind anew, he seeks to take what he was denied.