Author Topic: Small Housing, by choice...  (Read 1354 times)

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
Small Housing, by choice...
« on: January 17, 2014, 02:26:47 pm »
i'm not sure if a single word exists that can accurately describe it, but it involves...

-Small Housing
-Self-Sustainability

i've had more than a passing interest in finding a way to combine these 2 things in the smallest space possible, which additionally provides electricity and water

i suppose it is the rejection of housing in the traditional, inefficient sense, and the adoption of efficient living strategies in smaller spaces, where there is not such a thing as empty space/blank walls or roominess

imagine you are designing a home like this, suited for your own purpose, i would like to know which appliances or features you desire...

what i can think of currently:
-electricity
-water
-heating/air conditioning
-refridgerator
-microwave
-sink + counter space
-sleeping area
-shower/bathing area
-toilet
-desk + chair
-clothing storage + extra storage
-spare floor space

for a brilliant example of something similar, this is the cube house, something from england being developed by a professor:

http://www.cubeproject.org.uk/

it has much of what a regular house would offer but compacted...

anyways i have an interest in at least prototyping something similar full-scale in the future, if anything becomes of it i'll update this thread

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: Small Housing, by choice...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 02:58:28 pm »
I currently live part time in a 2 room house, about 450 sq ft. I've had to maximize space the best I can and sill have a kitchen, living area and bedroom. I have all the things you listed plus a washer/dryer in the closet and a small stove and dishwasher. If the house were much smaller it would be difficult but still doable.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 04:28:56 pm »
The thing I dislike about these is that you're unable to throw parties, and house parties are unique, and far superior to, public parties.

Parties.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 06:10:42 pm »
I am all about self-sufficiency and efficiency. This kinda thing really appeals to me.

Though I also feel as if that extra space in a home also serves a purpose. Even though you may have a "dead" room that is rarely used, it can be a great place to express yourself or to make your own. So I'm looking for a sort of middle ground where I have space, but aren't being too wasteful either.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 06:51:56 pm »
Growing up, my family had a camper, so I guess this idea doesn't seem all that novel to me.  Or as desirable.  For a week or two at a time, sure, but I'd want a bit more space for home.  Also,

Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:34:08 pm »
Mmmm government cheese.