Author Topic: Soylent  (Read 18653 times)

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2014, 08:43:02 am »
http://www.ted.com/talks/jamie_oliver.html

here is an old but kinda still relevant video

i think parents who raise children with obesity or other diet-related problems should earn the right to keep their children

there is a reason you are getting picked on if you are 300 lbs at age 16, something needs to change and for many nothing will

it would likely cost the us government less to just freely provide the obese and at-risk with proper correctional measures

this is related to why i think soylent will be the future foodstuff and if certain individuals fail/are unable to change their behaviour, they can simply eat soylent (this is assuming soylent (or other cheap blends) gets proven to be a suitable longterm replacement for food)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 11:29:36 am »
I think if you're 300lbs by age 16 you're not going to be happy with replacing food with a flavourless goo.

If you were then it would be equally as easy to just eat less deep fried pizzas and entire bags of dorritos in one sitting.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 11:36:30 am »
I am kept trim by poverty.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 11:45:17 am »
Deep fried pizzas sound so good.

Man I wish I had food in my house. I need to go buy some
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 12:07:10 pm »
i think parents who raise children with obesity or other diet-related problems should earn the right to keep their children

I remember reading that the reason many families in the West are obese is because fatty, unhealthy foods are often the only affordable option. Things like fresh fruit, meat, vegetables, are often too expensive.

I think you're focusing too much on the individual. Obesity is more of an institutional issue than a personal one.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2014, 12:46:01 pm »
Check your thin privilege.

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2014, 12:53:08 pm »
Check your thin privilege.
by definition, bodyweight isn't a priviledge, it affects all ages, genders, races, nationalities, classes

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2014, 12:56:13 pm »

I remember reading that the reason many families in the West are obese is because fatty, unhealthy foods are often the only affordable option. Things like fresh fruit, meat, vegetables, are often too expensive.

You might have read internet bull****. As we all do time to time.

CDC says the opposite is true in men, and that most obese people are not low income

What is interesting is that women of higher income are wy less obese then low income women. While high income men aren't as inclined to keep their shape. I like to think that says something about priorities with wealth and attraction.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 01:27:06 pm »
Really though, that particular fact notwithstanding, I still think it's more of a societal issue than one you can squarely blame on a person or parent.

Thanks for pointing it out though!

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2014, 03:22:38 pm »
american households spend money on fruit juice, soda/pop, some even alcohol, cigarettes, all kinds of crap

they aren't necessary, the money spent on those could instead go towards 'healthy' food

when a family stops buying crappy foodstuffs packed with calories, fat, sugar and find they still can't afford ACTUAL food... ok that would be a real concern, but i doubt anyone at this point, would they not be homeless (and not obese) if they couldn't afford to overindulge?

ok done raging, 2 weeks until soylent arrives will post when it next arrives

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 04:07:58 pm »
american households spend money on fruit juice, soda/pop, some even alcohol, cigarettes, all kinds of crap

Yeah and no other country does. ::)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 05:13:03 pm »
Now Tesla, not everyone is privileged enough to live in the obese, ignorant America-like regions of Europe where fat families waste their money on sugary beverages and tobacco reefers. Millions of people live in the paradise lands where only fresh locally sourced produce is available and smoking is an unfashionable, disgraceful practice.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 06:14:42 pm »
You would get more success with programs that encourage healthy eating than you would with such drastic punishing of unhealthy eating.  And I'd like to know how you'd ever convince politicians or the public to have the government confiscate overweight children.

You can have my cranberry juice when you pry it from my cold dead hands.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2014, 03:38:34 am »
We wouldn't be having all these issues if we'd just given eugenics a proper go.

Thanks for ruining it for everyone Hitler.  >:(

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2014, 06:25:22 am »
Meh. If people could do math then what they eat doesn't matter, I've been pretty big in the past.

You just have to eat less calories than you burn. You can do this through a diet of twinkies and multivitamins if you wanted.

I don't think our country has a weight problem, it's a self discipline and some people don't care; nor do they have to, it is their life