Author Topic: Soylent  (Read 18602 times)

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
Soylent
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:20:32 pm »
Update: 2014/07/31 my soylent shipped, but the tracking code is invalid, so more waiting is required.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 09:39:40 am by PikMini »

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:44:57 pm »
But I like the taste of food so much...
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 07:14:14 pm »
You can still eat recreationally.

Its not something you have to commit to 100% like a diet shake or something. Looking forward to hearing your review Pikmini.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:45:26 pm »
Huh, I assumed either you had been taken by the spambots, or this was some kind of viral marketing.  I guess this stuff is real?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/03/14/rob-rhinehart-has-a-crazy-plan-to-let-you-go-without-food-forever-it-just-might-work/
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 02:14:20 am »
I've been paying attention to this for a while. Please keep us updated!
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 03:25:23 am »
People get tired of chewing? Is this like one of those adverts where no one can use a blanket without sleeves or forget how many hands they have while eating food in the dark?

Next you'll be telling me people are tired of the primal satisfaction that comes with ripping meat off the bone...

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:54:16 am »
The fact that it's called soylent seems like a deterrent, but...

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 09:30:45 am »
I am hopeful for regular updates, and also that it is not people.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 01:14:34 pm »
I am hopeful for regular updates, and also that it is not people.
The fact that it's called soylent seems like a deterrent, but...
i think the soylent in the book version was human-free, i can only imagine they haven't seen the film

I've been paying attention to this for a while. Please keep us updated!
aye!  i'll report with how it goes, i've read your stomach will be in pain for the first couple days until it adjusts to the small amount of shake being ingested, i plan on fasting beforehand + drinking lots of water initially to mitigate this...

Does anything really real come out of Silicon Valley?  Seems a bit like an uninformed yuppie pipe dream to me.  That fact that after they moved their production to a new facility, they refused reporters entry, doesn't give me a lot of confidence in them... after reporters found mold and rat problems in the original production site.
i've been too excited to let this stop me, i will try to stay optimistic and hope they get some better quality assurance...

Huh, I assumed either you had been taken by the spambots, or this was some kind of viral marketing.  I guess this stuff is real?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/03/14/rob-rhinehart-has-a-crazy-plan-to-let-you-go-without-food-forever-it-just-might-work/
indeed it is real!  i feel it has great potential to replace the prepared meals (MRE's) used for military/emergency supplies, it will be cheaper and less voluminous than the existing stuff, soldiers won't have to decide between extra ammo or food anymore

the fact it is cheaper than fast food with supposedly all nutritional requirements is amazing, i know it is really impossible to even begin to calculate the exact nutritional content someone needs but it is a good start

i'm not sure what the shelf life is but if all goes well i plan on switching wholly, enter the human guinea pig!

People get tired of chewing? Is this like one of those adverts where no one can use a blanket without sleeves or forget how many hands they have while eating food in the dark?

Next you'll be telling me people are tired of the primal satisfaction that comes with ripping meat off the bone...
ha, that was just some comedy, i don't think many are seriously tired of chewing food

but seriously, i really believe certain people shouldn't even be allowed to choose the food they eat, or offer criticism on the food others eat, i am related to some individuals who like to overindulge and it is embarassing that they simply cannot eat less food in order to get healthier

i'm tired of food, and everything associated with it, producing it, acquiring it, storing it... i would rather down a vanailla-tasting shake than make decisions on what to eat and preparing meals, 3x every day

well, i enjoy fresh vegetables/fruits and gardening, i will continue that at least

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:27:04 pm by PikMini »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 02:30:21 pm »
Any man who hates food is my enemy.

Pikmini, one day I will destroy you.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 02:46:21 pm »
If you can catch him on those pork cylinders you waddle around on.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 03:12:57 pm »
Any man who hates food is my enemy.

Well, Lurk, this is what you get for stealing all the breakfasts that one time.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:14:58 pm by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 03:40:16 pm »
Its nothing compared to my wrath if you don't invite me to a picnic.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 04:08:58 pm »
I know we keep talking about it, but we really should revive the webcomic thread.

I have work this weekend, but I may post something during the week.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 06:30:00 pm »
Well good luck Pik, just be careful.  I'd guess drastic changes in diet could mess you up, especially switching to an all liquid diet like this.

i'm tired of food, and everything associated with it, producing it, acquiring it, storing it... i would rather down a vanailla-tasting shake than make decisions on what to eat and preparing meals, 3x every day

I really don't understand this sentiment at all.
Probably not a Goat, either.