Author Topic: The Universe Project  (Read 3980 times)

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
The Universe Project
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:24:19 am »
The Universe Project

I'm not good at pitching things, so I'll be brief, and then quote the page I linked there.

The Universe Project is the most ambitious game idea I have ever seen. It aims to create a virtual universe simulation, for all consoles, online, multiplayer, and shaped by the players. I think it's pretty cool.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREeDjQ0jIg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREeDjQ0jIg</a>

"We're creating a video game, similar to an RPG, that is capable of supporting millions of players, in the same game world, at the same time. The very first players who enter the game will notice the planet they appear on is completely devoid of human infrastructure; they appear on a planet that has developed only plant-life and animals. Now, the perspective of the game will be 1st/3rd person in that the player will control a single character in the game and will control only their character's actions in the world. There will be no NPCs in the world, every character is a real player.

The game will simulate human needs in that player's characters will need to eat and drink. Characters will need to find shelter and need to avoid being too cold or too hot. Characters will need to defend themselves and their belongings from animals and other players. Characters will be able to invent their own tools, skills, buildings, and even weapons, to assist them in meeting their needs."

DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: The Universe Project
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:17:12 pm »
Duuuh obviously a scam.

I don't even have to read any details about it or click their link. This sort of game is invariably a scam.

If its not a scam then its just being undertaken by dumb people and will fizzle out in short order.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 03:26:40 pm »
Yep this is grade-A horse manure. It's been around for a long while. The person who made that video clearly has absolutely no clue how games are made or what we're capable of.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 04:33:35 pm »
"Hey guys, let's make MineSpore!"

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 06:53:03 pm »
I don't care how well it goes, I just want it to get pass the beta stage, because I have access to Alpha and Beta versions, but no access to the full version without paying, so I just felt like sharing it, sense it appeared in my E-Mail updates.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 07:58:27 pm »
Sandbox MMO with added Hype.  ::)
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 09:02:46 pm »
A sandbox MMO is a cool idea though.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Online Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 09:22:35 pm »
It's a cool idea, but it doesn't look like this guy has anything to back it up.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 10:36:57 pm »
I'll be sure to share any alpha/beta info I receive then, if I receive any. Referred 4 people.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 12:23:05 am »
Hey guys I have a great idea for a game. Its a sandbox MMO where a single city is fully realised, with destructible environments, thousands of items and a fully functioning economy. All I need is for you guys to help me raise 80 grand to cover some administration costs. (also please find me some coders, designers and artists)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 01:14:51 am »
Il map

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 02:31:20 pm »
Wasn't this what 0x10c was supposed to be?

Whatever happened to that, anyways? It looked neat. The last update on the website was November 1, 2012.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 02:36:31 pm »
Cancelled.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 04:22:30 pm »
Yeah, but the fans sort-of-continued working on it as Trillek.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 08:39:48 pm »
In my professional opinion (After 5 years of game development studies and continuing studies in the game design field I think I can count myself as a professional by now), this is a neat concept, and a concept that is definitely doable with the technology we have.  I am very excited for when this concept is eventually built by someone.  I say someone because the people pitching it with The Universe Project will definitely not be able to.  It has nothing to do with how many people there are on their team, or how much money they have, or how high the system requirements might be.  It comes down to this picture on their website.

Bull

****ing

Horse****

There is absolutely no way that you will be able to build a game of this scale from start to finish in 6 months.  For something this size, with this much content, you will want at least a year of testing alone.  While procedural generation is a powerful tool, these guys are putting way, way too much stock into it.  They're putting the horse in front of the cart.  Focusing on the most complex things before thinking about the basic foundations it will be built on.

I can say with absolute confidence that there is no way that they will be able to deliver what they are promising in 6 months.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net