Author Topic: The Universe Project  (Read 4079 times)

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
Re: The Universe Project
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 10:53:56 pm »
I think they are planning on having a working base-line in 6 months, but after having received no updates on the thing, in the 4 months I've been subscribed to it, I expect little.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 12:47:52 am »
Dude just play Dwarf Fortress.

Development may be molasses slow and Toady will die of malnutrition and be eaten by his beloved cat long before completion but at least what's there now is playable, and the developer as realistic expectations about what he can achieve in a given time-scale (real time moss growth simulation 6-8 weeks)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 01:09:13 am »
This just popped up in my E-Mail, and I thought it was interesting and I'd share. I'm 100% sure Dwarf Fortress is better, as it was last I played, I've not played any games in a while. I just thought this was neat, and maybe it might (probably not) go somewhere.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 06:32:21 am »
(After 5 years of game development studies and continuing studies in the game design field I think I can count myself as a professional by now)

Nope.

Maybe an authority but not a professional. Professional implies that you work in that field, which you did not mention you do.

(sorry I got tired of ****ting on Badger)

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 10:20:32 am »
As a professional game developer, screw you Pat.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 10:51:00 am »
I think you mean enthusiast game developer, Marty.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 11:08:57 am »
as am profesial game develop, hello pat!
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 11:18:58 am »
HELLO

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 11:43:00 am »
I feel like the promise of procedural generation has largely been unfulfilled.

So far nearly every procedurally generated world, character, story, or whatever when it comes to video games has been more or less bland and uninteresting. Is it a technology problem? A programming problem? Or is procedural generation just a pipe dream in terms of fulfilling gameplay and world designs?

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 11:47:06 am »
I think the problem is that most people throwing the term around don't even (fully) understand what it means.
So of course there's gonna be disappointment.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 11:49:23 am »
A computer doesn't know the difference between a challenging/fun/interesting level and a totally bland one.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2013, 11:53:14 am »
I think the problem is that most people throwing the term around don't even (fully) understand what it means.
So of course there's gonna be disappointment.

Then maybe the problem is with so-called visionaries like Will Wright and Co. that talk up procedural generation and promise the world. If the people designing the technology can't accurately predict what they will be able to do with it then what's it all for to begin with?

What is the goal of procedural generation? Is it to accomplish one task so that a team can focus on designing more important aspects of a project? Is it to provide meaningful content? Is it there to give players more to do? What is it for?

Offline Didero

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 12:10:34 pm »
A computer doesn't know the difference between a challenging/fun/interesting level and a totally bland one.
And that is exactly the difference between random and procedural generation: The latter is the former with more rules attached, to MAKE the generated levels interesting, but also varied.

Then maybe the problem is with so-called visionaries like Will Wright and Co. that talk up procedural generation and promise the world. If the people designing the technology can't accurately predict what they will be able to do with it then what's it all for to begin with?
The programmers and designers, they usually know what the term means. And for all its faults, Spore does use procedural generation really effectively. It's just not the only thing a game needs to make it fun. The things you generate procedurally need to be useful, and connect well with the gameplay. It's all well and good to have a script that can procedurally generate the animation for a great variety of creatures, if those creatures then can only move around in a boring world with only two things to do, it is pretty useless.
And marketers just think it sounds interesting and magical, and slap it on the back of the box.
What is the goal of procedural generation? Is it to accomplish one task so that a team can focus on designing more important aspects of a project? Is it to provide meaningful content? Is it there to give players more to do? What is it for?
There's a few reasons for procedural generation. For one, you could use it to generate worlds that would take months if you had to hand-craft them. And secondly, it can be used for variety in a game (randomized level layouts for instance). So if used well, it's a 'yes' to all your questions. But you can't just shout 'Procedural Generation!' and be done with it. You first have to determine the limits of the system, what you don't want it to generate. No impossibly high mountains next to a ravine, for instance. And getting that exactly right can be very hard.

...Now I'm just rambling. I'll shut up >_>

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 01:57:20 pm »
Spelunky is a game which uses procedural generation, its also actually good!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Didero

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 02:10:19 am »
Spelunky is a game which uses procedural generation, its also actually good!
There's plenty of examples where it works well. Unfortunately that led to inexperienced programmers and 'idea guys' to see it as a magic bullet, which will make your game by merely mentioning it.