Author Topic: Ask the Members of Gamingsteve Anything! (Now with more fun!)  (Read 15428 times)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Ask the Members of Gamingsteve Anything!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 10:53:47 am »
That's nice wish I was passionate enough about something like that to want to study it on my own time.

Rossetta stone or winging it?
I'm taking lessons from a friend of the family. From what I know he knows how to read Russian better than speak it, but it's a start and having a real person teach me a language, as I've found in Spanish class, tends to stick more than virtual lessons like Rosetta Stone.

I might use Rosetta Stone to supplement or something, though.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 01:36:50 pm »
~~Rosetta Stone is awful~~
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 11:01:00 pm »
That's nice wish I was passionate enough about something like that to want to study it on my own time.

Rossetta stone or winging it?
I'm taking lessons from a friend of the family. From what I know he knows how to read Russian better than speak it,

If it's any help, learning a language by speaking to a person 1 level above the level you intend to learn is pretty helpful. So, if say you want to learn street level Korean, it's a good idea to frequently talk with Korean professors.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 11:22:47 pm »
So what is your high school experience like? Are you finding it very difficult? What's your group of friends like? What do you guys tend to do?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 07:26:26 pm »
My highschool experience is pretty standard, I guess, other than a couple exceptions. Never had a problem with bullying even in middle school though, so I guess I'm lucky there. I'm also not very keen (see: terrified) of the concept of driving, so I don't do that unlike most my age. It's so funny, though, when you swear to yourself that you won't get involved in bull**** drama and then you get completely sucked into it.

It is hard to be motivated sometimes, but difficulty in the work itself is very rare. I don't remember a time off the top of my head when I felt myself incapable of doing one piece of work or another. It's just highschool.

My friends are few and close to me, and for the most part are female. I don't make friends easy, but I warm up pretty quick to people once I like them. They tend to be odd people, with outlandish senses of humour, and younger than myself by a year or so. Typically we have online conversations, and occasionally we'll all go in a big group somewhere, usually the beach, and just hang out.

Overall I guess I can't complain, I certainly haven't had it that bad. I've never gotten into a fight, or got an STD, or got drunk or high, or anything like that.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:28:54 pm by RiseWhirled »

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 09:34:22 pm »
It's alright.

Learned a little guitar, planning to start learning Russian sometime soon. I've decided to hopefully major in Anthropological Linguistics, when the time comes to do so.

Other than that, a fairly boring Summer. Never much liked Summer.

Yo, I've been studying russian for a while! I'm still fairly awful but if you wanna exchange a few phrases or something, leggo.
Может быть мы будем изучаю нечто. (....not entirely sure that's correct. It's been a while since I've spoken Russian.)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 11:45:45 pm »
My highschool experience is pretty standard, I guess, other than a couple exceptions. Never had a problem with bullying even in middle school though, so I guess I'm lucky there. I'm also not very keen (see: terrified) of the concept of driving, so I don't do that unlike most my age. It's so funny, though, when you swear to yourself that you won't get involved in bull**** drama and then you get completely sucked into it.

Screw bullies, those immature pieces of refuse. I don't actually feel all that mad at them, more like pity at how sorry their existence has become.

As for driving. For the love of Steve learn to throw away your fear of driving. Unless you work, shop and sleep in the same street, not learning how to drive will introduce you to the harsh reality of bus schedules, exposure to the elements, and the constant fear of getting late. Seriously, kick that fear into the curb.

I say learn how to get involved in drama but don't let yourself be controlled by it. Manipulating and deceiving people is a wonderful asset in the working world. Double for self-delusion and hiding of emotions, you'll need a lot of it if you want to stay "sane" by society's standards, which you'd probably like to if you don't want to live the life of a failure and potential wandering beggar.

It is hard to be motivated sometimes, but difficulty in the work itself is very rare. I don't remember a time off the top of my head when I felt myself incapable of doing one piece of work or another. It's just highschool.

Procrastination's a biatch.

Just remember, unless you're doing something really technical (education, medicine, engineering, etc.) in the future, most of the stuff you learn in highschool pretty much means squat anyways, as sad as it may seem. But that's missing the point. What's really important about highschool is chiseling away as much procrastination as you could from your psyche, because whatever is left of it by the time you graduate will haunt (and ruin) your life forever.

Oh, and aim high but expect low. I mean, look at me, I graduated 4th in my entire batch, but now I'm just washing butts and checking groceries thanks to the turd of a system that is our local licensing organizations. Protip: if you're gonna get a license in the future that is in some way, shape or form associated with the medical field, do not, and I mean this DO NOT, try for a license in California. That state's pitiful excuse for a licensing system will do unholy things to your time table, or just flat out dump your application into the immaterium. I learned it the hard way.

My friends are few and close to me, and for the most part are female. I don't make friends easy, but I warm up pretty quick to people once I like them. They tend to be odd people, with outlandish senses of humour, and younger than myself by a year or so. Typically we have online conversations, and occasionally we'll all go in a big group somewhere, usually the beach, and just hang out.

Awesome.  :)

Overall I guess I can't complain, I certainly haven't had it that bad. I've never gotten into a fight, or got an STD, or got drunk or high, or anything like that.

Good for you.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 01:55:38 pm »
Yo, I've been studying russian for a while! I'm still fairly awful but if you wanna exchange a few phrases or something, leggo.
Может быть мы будем изучаю нечто. (....not entirely sure that's correct. It's been a while since I've spoken Russian.)
I'll keep it in mind once and if I get to a level resembling conversational. Right now, I still have work to do on learning the alphabet- perhaps I should have made it clear that I haven't taken any actual lessons as of yet. So, a while yet until I learn it that well. But thanks for the offer.

*stuff*
Wow, that's a lot of advice. Thank you very much for taking the time to type it all out. I'll try and keep it in mind.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:29:27 pm by RiseWhirled »

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 04:37:42 pm »
I'm not buying all that about needing manipulation and deceit for the business world.  No matter how good you are at it, or how good you think you are, someone will see through you and know that you're full of crap.  There are times when it's best to not give out every detail, but honesty is preferable.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 04:42:29 pm »
Yeah I think a better principle to follow is:

Be honest as much as possible, but don't just blindly let your 'morals' come ahead of your advancement as a person. I'm not saying be a lying dillweed. I mean don't pass up a golden opportunity because it would be 'rude' to accept.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 05:19:35 pm »
Be a shark! Crush the skulls of your opponents as you climb the corporate ladder!

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 05:49:21 pm »
Silly Tesla sharks don't climb ladders.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 05:51:54 pm »
Business sharks can!

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 06:11:47 pm »
No, that's Land Sharks.  And I think they either take the stairs or the elevator when delivering candygrams.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 09:38:32 pm »
Girlfriends? Have you been turned down by any girls who wanted to just stay friends*? Not really all that horny yet and havent put yourself out there?

Do any sports? Why if so and why not if none?

Do you plan on drinking/smoking at all during these years? Do you want to party/get stoned but your group of friends don't and you aren't comfortable enough with other people to do those things with them? That was a problem I found I had in high school.

Should go for your license sooner rather than later the freedom it brings is baller.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:50:21 am by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.