Author Topic: What Do You Want To Know More About Yuu?  (Read 11829 times)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
What Do You Want To Know More About Yuu?
« on: August 04, 2013, 12:52:59 pm »
I thought now's as good a time as any other.

I know there's been some ambiguity about my precise position on certain things since, like, forever. And my personal problems certainly didn't help the issue. Anyways, yeah, just going out here to clarify that I am, in fact, what one would call a conservative Christian, especially by the standards of today. Specifically, I'm a member of the Church of Christ.

Which specific things do I hold a conservative view on in particular (as well as which seemingly conservative policies that I disagree with), feel free to ask. And I know it's kind of obscure to folks outside of Asia, at least for now, so, uh, feel free to ask me any questions about it too as well as how I fit into it. I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Do note that I'm by no means an official minister, so I may not be able to answer everything instantly, and might sometimes defer to an actual minister. But if you want to check the source directly, feel free to ask our dedicated inquiry team, or even drop by, physically or via phone call, at one of our places. Possessing a sizable diasporic population in 6 continents and 112 nations and territories, there's bound to be at least one place that's just a car drive, or at least a domestic call, away.  :)

Did I mention we have cookies? No, really, we do! ... well, sometimes at least. Other times it's something else, like sandwiches, or pizza, or baked mac; it depends on if some kind of public study event is being held or not, though, since the ministry's available basically 24/7, you're bound to stumble into one, especially in the afternoon or weekends. If not, we'll always be glad to get you some snacks.  ;)

Mmm, snacks.

Wait, wait, where was I again?

Oh, right.

Well, there you go.

I'd love to keep this civil, though I am aware that some questions are hard to phrase into a non-accusatory way. Still, it would be much appreciated.

So, yeah.

Anything you'd like to know or get some clarification about Yuu?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: What Do You Want To Know More About Yuu?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 01:07:45 pm »
Did Yuu think it would be a good idea to make his first post in over a year of inactivity on the forum be an advertisement for his Church?

;)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 04:26:30 pm »
What's your favorite movie?

Did you know there's such a thing as dessert soup? Like, that is actually a thing?

Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses, or Abe Vigoda?
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 05:01:45 pm »
Hottest girl you banged?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 08:33:02 pm »
1. Why did you pick the name "Yuu" as your forum name?

2. Are you a "Brony"? If so why?

3.  Do you wish there was a "YuuTube" ?

4. Have you ever eaten mac and blue cheese? If not, why?

5. What is your favorite pizza?

6.  How many languages to do you speak?

7. Pirates or Ninjas?

8. What do you think of Spore?

9. Do you believe in Bigfoot?

10. What's the square root of 42?

Offline Gec

• Defender Devotee
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 09:14:06 pm »

Disregard all the other questions. This is the most important question to Hydro ever. MAKE IT A GOOD ANSWER.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 11:01:54 pm »
I'll let you answer these before I start asking more.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 03:00:19 am »
Did Yuu think it would be a good idea to make his first post in over a year of inactivity on the forum be an advertisement for his Church?

;)

It's a good way to quickly delineate my stance on things and where I am on the US-style political axis, as well as open discussion if anyone ever wishes to go that way.

What's your favorite movie?

Man, that's a hard one.

Battlefield Earth?

Hmm, as far as sagas are concerned, probably the recent Narnia movie adaptations. Prince of Egypt too, the animated one.

Did you know there's such a thing as dessert soup? Like, that is actually a thing?

Wait, what?

Why was I not aware of this?  :o

Well, we do have this, though. And I could seriously drink just that all day and be okay with it, that's how good it is. As long as it's warm, of course. It kind of sucks when it's cold.

Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses, or Abe Vigoda?

I think I'll take my chances with the ducks.

Plus, I could probably capture some of them and get the new species named after me or something.

Hottest girl you banged?

Unfortunately (fortunately?), romantic relationships aren't quite my thing.

Never really saw the benefits of it outweighing the hassle involved, at least in my case, so far.

I had several chances to pursue a relationship, but none of them really took to me as legitimately worth it.  :/

1. Why did you pick the name "Yuu" as your forum name?

Yuu is the name of an old character of mine, whose name is in turn derived from this fine gentleman.  :)

2. Are you a "Brony"? If so why?

*raises hoof*

Yep.

Because, ponies.

On a serious note, for the same reason I like other well written shows. Plus, their world is so deceptively adorable that, for a moment, you tend to forget that the average resident is physically as capable as a 40k Spess Mehreen, and that the planet their living on is Catachan-lite, with some minor Chaos lords here and there. It honestly wouldn't be out of place in DnD, sans pastel colors.

3.  Do you wish there was a "YuuTube" ?

Technically, it does exist... but it's just some obscure channel on Youtube.

4. Have you ever eaten mac and blue cheese? If not, why?

Mac, yes.

Blue cheese, nope. Too strong for me. More of a mozzarella guy myself.

5. What is your favorite pizza?

Hawaiian.

6.  How many languages to do you speak?

In order of proficiency, Filipino, English, and Tagalog.

I know some stock Japanese words and phrases from surprise! surprise! anime, and to a lesser extent, my parents who worked for over a decade in Saipan.

I also know some Spanish words and phrases, since Filipino is partly Spanish.

That's about it.

7. Pirates or Ninjas?

Ninja pirate robot monkey clown bandito werewolf zombies!

Disregard all the other questions. This is the most important question to Hydro ever. MAKE IT A GOOD ANSWER.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddX9hnhDS4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddX9hnhDS4</a>

Nah...  :P

I mean, it's not what we originally wanted, and they kind of dropped the ball on the "making it simpler" part (the supposed complexity of the tools was actually what drove most people to want to get it, removing it kind of screwed over people's long-term loyalty), but for what it was sans hype, it was actually pretty good.

I like it as it is, I really do (well, with BetterSpore at least, so I could tone down those frickin' pirate raids and eco disasters), but the lack of new stuff to do (in no small part to Galactic Adventures not working on any of my systems, ever, for some unknown reason) caused it to eventually fall down on my list of priorities. It also didn't help that my time was diverted to honing my lineart skills, getting into 3D sketching, as well as that little thing cooking up at dA.

Still, there's one thing I could definitely say about Spore: It didn't fail as hard as the latest installment of a certain other Maxis franchise. Please don't kill me...  ;)

Well, I guess there's always Thrive, though it's still way far off and out there.  :)

9. Do you believe in Bigfoot?

Bigfoot in particular, not much.

Undiscovered big apes in general, I find plausible. Still, it depends on the region. The Amazon or the Himalayas, or somewhere barely scoured like that, yeah.

10. What's the square root of 42?

6.480~

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 09:15:44 am »
What is your stance on Updog?

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:23:52 am »
Picard or Kirk?

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 09:24:13 am »
do you have normal feet?

would you upload a photo of your feet
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 09:41:32 am »
It's a good way to quickly delineate my stance on things and where I am on the US-style political axis

I'm not clear on it. Please indicate on this graph exactly how much you love Freedom.

Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 10:56:32 am »
It's a good way to quickly delineate my stance on things and where I am on the US-style political axis

I'm not clear on it. Please indicate on this graph exactly how much you love Freedom.

BURNING AMERICAN FREEDOM! BURNING AMERICAN JUSTICE!

That chart seems kind of... odd.  :D

In any case, more or less in the far, far, far right on that scale.

On the US 2D Political Graph, we're pretty supportive of political and economic freedom, but not to the point of libertarianism. We're also quite supportive of people's social freedoms, as long as it doesn't interfere with the freedoms of someone else, ie. we wholeheartedly support contraception, but abortion, not so much.

Inside our church, though, we're vastly more unified in our policies. The moment we joined, we understood that we gotta look out for each other and put the welfare and safety of the brotherhood above our own. If someone inside really, really, really doesn't want to follow group policy, they're quite free to leave, of course.

Picard or Kirk?

Pikirk, distant relative of Tuvix.

do you have normal feet?

would you upload a photo of your feet

I have normal feet, but not really in the mood to upload them. Sorry.  :'(

What is your stance on Updog?

Oh Yuu!   ;D

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 11:35:58 am »
That chart was dumb.

So what have you been up to since you've been gone from the forum?  What brought you back?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 07:53:48 pm »
So what have you been up to since you've been gone from the forum?

http://kosmosischronicles.deviantart.com/

What brought you back?

I was brought here by humans who wished to pay me tribute!

I've always been lurking here since I stopped posting. One day I was rummaging through the Spore subsections and remembered that Kishmond just came back from his overseas trip. I recalled his old thread about him letting folks ask him questions. Then, that's when the idea popped into my head. So, I guess it was on a whim.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 08:00:27 pm by Yuu »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 01:49:41 am »
Thanks for all the replies Yuu. I have some more questions ...

1. Do you like speculative evolution? If so which do you like better Future Evolution, Paleo Evolution or Xenobiology?

2. Mario or Fafa?

3.  What is your favorite type of Sushi?

4. Do you like Legos? If so which type/theme is your favorite?

5. Have you heard of Starbound? If so what do you think of it?

6. Have you ever been to Hawaii? If so which island(s)?

7. If Dolphins were "uplifted" would you try to teach them about Christianity?

8. Have you ever eaten Durian fruit? If so how would you describe the taste?

9. If you had a time machine "when" would you go?

10. When do you think the first human will set foot on Mars?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 04:41:46 am »
That's really cool!

Thanks.  :)

Thanks for all the replies Yuu. I have some more questions ...

1. Do you like speculative evolution? If so which do you like better Future Evolution, Paleo Evolution or Xenobiology?

Yep.

Future Evolution the book? I haven't seen it personally, but sounds cool. If it's Future Evolution in general, yeah, it's pretty interesting to see how various animals fare as time passes.

Paleo Evolution, eh, not much. Unicorns and uber sloths are pretty badass, though.

Xenobiology? Nope. Don't like it, not at all.  ;) Seriously, though, it's pretty neat to see how alternative biochemistry and environmental conditions affect things like technology, culture, etc.

2. Mario or Fafa?

Mario.

3.  What is your favorite type of Sushi?

California Rolls. Preferably with mango instead of avocado.  :)

4. Do you like Legos? If so which type/theme is your favorite?

Not Legos, Lego pieces/toys/sets. Sorry for the nitpick, it's been nagging on my head.   :-[

I love Lego products. The Sci-Fi sets in particular, though, not necessarily the Star Wars ones. While my first experience with it was with the formula 1/truck set, the space sets were what really hooked me in.

Sad to say I had to leave them behind in Manila, though, since I could only bring so many things when I came to the US. If I had, like, a ton of spare cash though? I wouldn't mind splurging some on making a Lego city, or more likely, a Lego space fleet.  :D

5. Have you heard of Starbound? If so what do you think of it?

Looks pretty sweet. From what I know of it, it looks like a sci-fi version of Terraria, which is awesome.

6. Have you ever been to Hawaii? If so which island(s)?

Never been to Hawaii. Love to go there, though, if I get the chance.

7. If Dolphins were "uplifted" would you try to teach them about Christianity?

Depends on how they were uplifted.

If they were implanted with human brain components or turned into human/cetacean hybrids, they're practically human so it should count.

If their brains were modified without integrating any human components, they're basically out of Christianity's reach. Christianity is the act of creating a new human in the form of the head/messiah and the body/church, emphasis on human. Essentially, dolphins can't be Christians for the same reason angels/demons can't. Either they'll gain sentience but still lack a moral compass like one of those genuinely all-logical species in sci-fi, or they'll get their own savior.

8. Have you ever eaten Durian fruit? If so how would you describe the taste?

Yep. Not much a fan of it, though, since I like jackfruit infinitely more.  :)

As far as texture and taste is concerned, it's pretty okay, if a bit rough (sandy?) and with an odd aftertaste. Makes my mouth feel dry whenever I eat it, which probably adds to why I prefer jackfruit more.

9. If you had a time machine "when" would you go?

Assuming I don't get arrested by the time police, and that it includes some reasonable form of protection against wildlife and the elements...

Depends.

If it's a closed time-loop, I check if I will make any profit / change for the better out of it. If so, use it to gather data regarding ancient events and reveal it to the present. If that's not destined, I'll just explore, I guess, probably disguise myself as some odd hermit with some suspiciously advanced medical and hygiene knowhow.

If it's a branching yu- must... resist urge... to make puns *ahem* universe, probably use it to go to the future and get some tech from there. I then become a benevolent precursor to some old civs by using said tech.

10. When do you think the first human will set foot on Mars?

Depends on if we keep our current rate of space development, or if we accelerate or slow down. For simplicity's sake, let's assume current rates.

If it's a one-way trip the people want, we could probably have someone up there in a couple decades.

If a return trip is included, it's gonna take a while, probably the latter part of the century. We'd have actual orbital industries, not just a relatively simple ISS, before a manned Mars mission becomes a somewhat reasonable endeavor.

Really, there's a lot of factors.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 10:27:51 am »
Hey, I didn't know you had moved to the US.  Why'd you move?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 03:23:08 pm »
Hey, I didn't know you had moved to the US.  Why'd you move?

It's all around a lot better here in Washington State, I guess.

Better weather (I love the cold, heat not so much), better air (Seattle has fog, Manila has smog), better job market, better law enforcement in general, among others.

Plus, my parents work and live here, while my bro lives in America's Hat Canada.  :)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 03:28:00 pm »
I remember you talking about your old country being corrupt, but I don't remember what was corrupt about it.  So what was it?  The cops being jerks?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 03:48:17 pm »
I remember you talking about your old country being corrupt, but I don't remember what was corrupt about it. So what was it?

A lot.

Though, with the current direction, it's getting less severe, but not by much.

The cops being jerks?

Understatement.

I'm not saying there's no paragons there, but even most seemingly pure characters have connections to stuff like drugs, nepotism, piracy, or some other shady thing.

Seattle has the same problem, but even it isn't as bad as back there.

If only the push for statehood was taken seriously back then...

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 03:58:20 pm »
Good luck finding a country where nepotism doesn't exist :P

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 04:31:48 pm »
He could try Sealand.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 06:36:18 pm »
Sealand: "Home of the Free, Lan- er.. um"     *looks at water*

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 08:33:08 pm »
what is your stance on mpreg
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 10:29:42 pm »
Good luck finding a country where nepotism doesn't exist :P

There's a difference between "corruption in the government" and "corruption -is- the government". If a president can get impeached for something as tame as Watergate, then it's still not as bad as the Philippines.

If America has kidney tumors, then the Philippines already has metastasis in every organ.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 09:29:42 am »
Watergate is a Tuesday now.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 11:47:08 am »
Watergate is a Tuesday now.

While everyone in the US was raging about Watergate, people in the Philippines were dealing with more serious internal issues such as suspension of Habeus Corpus and outright mass executions.

Pat, no matter how hard you paint it, the US will always be a far better place than the Philippines, as far as politics is concerned.

Come back when the US president finally tries something as gutsy as kidnapping, torturing, raping, and killing vocal college students, and then promoting the goons that did it, and all of them coming out scott free. Did I mention that one of the mayors there actually have back hoes for the express purpose of burying the bodies of competitors, convoys included?

I dunno about you, Pat, but I'd rather live here than there. I have the advantage of having personally seen both worlds with my own personal senses to make a reasonable judgment.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 02:04:12 pm »
All I said was that Watergate was business as usual by today's standards, which reflects a worsening state of politics and discourse in the US. It's not a pissing contest about who lives in or comes from a worse place or a better place. You didn't live here your whole life so you can't speak on the change that I've seen over my life, just like I can't speak on the situation in the place you are from. We both have a different perspective that we bring to the table.

But I'm not too keen on the idea of you implying that I need to be quiet about the problems I see in the US, or be grateful to have what I have just because it's worse in other places. I know it is worse in other places, don't insult my intelligence. And I am happy for the things I do have, I try to be aware of my privilege ever day. However, that it is worse in other places is what gives me the information to gauge how things are getting worse here. And I always want there to be a place where things are good for people, that is why I complain and fight.

I am sincerely happy that you were able to escape your situation and come to a better place. That is awesome for you and I want nothing but the best for you in the future. But that doesn't mean we can sit idly by and allow a bastion of freedom and choice to be slowly chipped away at by forces that hope the public won't notice over time. That is unacceptable.

**EDIT**
Heck, now that you're here you could be a valuable ally in these kinds of fights to keep what we have. You know what it's like to be without and to come from a place that is corrupt like in our nightmares. Consider the opportunity!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:06:52 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 02:28:42 pm »
I wasn't saying the US is utopia nor was I implying I'm alright with what's happening here. It's just that so many times has the situation of the Phils been downplayed for the sake of image, which isn't bad in itself (image), but the fact that they have to heavily distort the picture... I mean, it's not the DRC, but it's not the land of hospitable natives either.

One of my pet peeves, pardon me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 02:52:52 pm »
That's understandable. Do you have any aspirations to return someday or to try to change things for the better? Or are you out and staying out?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 03:51:00 pm »
That's understandable. Do you have any aspirations to return someday or to try to change things for the better? Or are you out and staying out?

Once I settle down, yes. As of now, I'm still managing the papers of several relatives, so it's a bit tight.

Though, I do give 2% of my income to our church's dedicated humanitarian fund. The foundation recently became international, but was operating in the Phils long before that, just doesn't get much media attention so it was kinda obscure.

There's also that Arena / Sports Complex we're building that's open to the public. Would make a good evac center too, in case the area gets flooded, probably in a few months (it's in a flood plain).

Alsn take the time to help relatives and friends.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2013, 01:05:26 pm »
So Yuu, what do you and your church think about the Golden Rule?  About loving your neighbor as yourself?  Or maybe Mark 8:36?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2013, 01:24:46 pm »
Ink basically every religion in the world has some permutation of that rule :P

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2013, 02:48:38 pm »
Ink basically every religion in the world has some permutation of that rule :P

Pretty much.

So Yuu, what do you and your church think about the Golden Rule?  About loving your neighbor as yourself?  Or maybe Mark 8:36?

The Golden Rule is a pretty nice thing. It's basically the same thing as loving your neighbor, which is the second commandment.

And yeah, getting everything on Earth only to lose it when you die/the world ends is a pretty shoddy long term strategy. It's kind of like that guy in a story who was totally loaded but became self absorbed in the process. When he died, he didn't manage to benefit from any of it.

Which isn't to say getting rich is inherently bad, just that some folks really let it go to their heads, kinda my dad's boss.:p

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2013, 03:55:16 pm »
Right, just trying to figure out how that fits with being deceitful and manipulative in the workplace, and seemingly rationalizing it by saying most powerful people use underhanded tactics.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2013, 04:30:58 pm »
How do the beliefs and tenants of your religion interface with the laws of the state?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2013, 01:03:45 am »
Right, just trying to figure out how that fits with being deceitful and manipulative in the workplace, and seemingly rationalizing it by saying most powerful people use underhanded tactics.

Just saying if he wants to succeed and thrive in human society, he needs to learn the ropes, or at least know and expect everyone to be a threat. The world isn't kind to "nice guys", in fact, it is actively malevolent to them in a concerted effort to crush them into itty bitty pieces, crush their hopes, drive them insane. There's a reason most idealistic folks are either wandering beggars or in asylums.

In the end, it's his choice, but he shouldn't expect to find happiness in this world without breaking some bones. You can have either happiness or principles, but not both. The god of this world wouldn't allow that, being the spiteful arse that he is.  :P

Plus, I wasn't really at my best when I posted that. Haven't finished flushing things out of my system.

How do the beliefs and tenants of your religion interface with the laws of the state?

Basically obey the laws of the land, as long as it doesn't contradict beliefs and tenets. Paying taxes and the like is all okay, but something-like government enforced religious conversion is a big no-no. If need be, we go underground in some areas of the world that aren't quite keen on Christianity, like say Best Korea.

Though, one thing that does get brought a lot is how we do a lot of bloc voting. It helps strengthen our sense of unity and actually helps us show our voice on matters which affect the organization.

On a related note, we don't run for expressly political offices, separation of church and state and all. While we do have some folks in high positions, like a former Supreme justice as well as some military and intelligence bros, they're basically working under the same principle as any other public or private employee, no different than the Christian soldiers of the Roman Empire or a maid who just happens to be working at the Whitehouse.

This is in contrast with, say, mayors or senators, which are working specifically as a part of the government. Above the country of their birth, members' true citizenship is with the church, so it takes priority.

Also, we don't sue each other. We deal with interpersonal issues internally. The highest punishment someone could get is expulsion. We let the government handle lawsuits of a more criminal nature.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2013, 05:27:47 am »
top 10 anime in no particular order. that's what i want to know.

throw top 10 games in there too, why not.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2013, 01:09:21 pm »
top 10 anime in no particular order. that's what i want to know.

1. Macross (There's just something about having a concert during an epic battle that brings back memories of the battle cries of old. Also, I'm a sucker for space operas and the technologies and societies shown in them.)

2. Galaxy Angel (Wow, just. Wow. The perfect mixture of comedy and wat. Whenever I watch this, I tend to get stomachaches. Seriously, what we're they on when they made this? It's like Axe Cop but with soldiers.)

3. Van Dread (It holds a certain place in my memories as the first space opera anime I've seen. I tend to ignore the fanservice, but the mystery and eventual reveal about "harvest" was pretty neat. Also, I like the male-female conflict and the societal impact it had on each society. And then there's the enemy ships and their neat way of storing their fighters, which I found to be the most realistic aspect in the show.)

4. Ah! My Goddess / You're Under Arrest (Yes, different anime, but Belldandy actually made a cameo appearance in YUA before A!MG was even created. It's nice to have a light romantic slice of life show with a sprinkle of magitech once in a while, and the anime actually managed to add quite a lot of comedy, which is nice. As for You're Under Arrest, I like the buddy cop dynamic and the fact that it's essentially A!MG, but with cops.)

5. Yakitate Japan! (I may not know how to make bread personally, but I really like the stuff that they make in the show, even though some all of the reactions are absurdly hilarious. It's like Galaxy Angel, but with bakers.)

6. Chobits / Angelic Layer (They're essentially the same show, but depicting different points in the timeline. Fanservice aside, it just gives me so many feels with the issues it tackles, like say Alzhiemers, spousal neglect, the morality of using a replacement goldfish, among others.)

7. Cardcaptor Sakura (First off, the lore is pretty neat, Clow is a pretty fly guy. Then there's the dynamic of strengths and weaknesses, which is rather cool, ie. wind defeats the power of flight, swords can cut through mazes, raw power absolutely stomps martial arts.)

8. Persona 4 (One of the best game-to-anime adaptations I have ever seen. They managed to retain a lot of gameplay elements, themes, and music, and transform it seamlessly. Also... Persona! Persona! Persona! Persona!~ Social Links! Social Links! Social Links! Social Links! Social Links! Social Links!)

9. Digimon Adventure (The theme song alone gives me goose bumps. Everything about the show just screams epic to me, especially when the local flying pig transformed into a freakin' seraph. It only escalated from there as Earth got caught in the war and things became more desperate. Also, I love their art direction, making the monsters actually look like monsters, unlike a certain other show. Plus, I kind of find the english version's accents rather endearing. The succeeding shows kind of flopped for me and was unable to capture the same amazing atmosphere as the original, but even there, I found it neat that they actually made the effort to show that the Digital World and the Human World have started building ties ever since that "first contact war" in the second arc of Digimon Adventure)

10. I'd like to add My Little Pony: Tomodachi wa Mahou, but that would be cheating. So, uh, Yu-Gi-Oh, I guess. I like the Abridged versions more, but even the original was just so campy and all "srs business" that I can't help myself from laughing. That's not to say the show didn't have some awesome moments, but I enjoy it more because of the absurdity of it all. Plus, it's nice to see an Egypt-based story for once.

throw top 10 games in there too, why not.

1. Mass Effect (Yes, I know, I know, the ending. But the journey itself was pretty neat. I haven't actually played it, but I do watch a lot of let's plays of it.)

2. SimCity (There's just something about creating stuff that's pretty neat.)

3. Command and Conquer (CnC is my type of RTS. Not overly complicated, but still allows for some strategy. Especially the last installment, CnC:3, that was particularly sweet.)

4. Spyro a.k.a. "Headbutt the Game" (Man, I just love this game. Sure, it's kinda narmy and absurdly hard in some parts, but the universe is pretty neat and you really feel that you're exploring an actual world. I absolutely despise that greedy bear, though.)

5. Kingdom Hearts (I had reservations when I first heard about it, but it actually handled itself pretty well. Yeah, it's pretty convoluted, but it's not really as bad as some make it out to be. Plus, all that nostalgia from the worlds, as well as Mickey doing backflips like freakin' Yoda.)

6. Armored Core (It's like if you had a game where you can custom build a car and then race with it, except replace said cars with giant robots with enough dakka to beat an entire armored division)

7. Super Mario 64 (I love this game, spent eons playing it when I was a kid. Nintendo did well in their transition of Mario to 3D.)

8. Empire Earth (I absolutely loved this game. Too bad I kinda suck at it, but whenever I did play, I was just consumed by how thorough they were at the details.)

9. Disgaea (Not because of the tediousness of grinding, I actually don't like that aspect. It's more because of the comedic elements, the story, and the universe in general. I do get a chuckle from the absurd destructive yields that I get from the game.)

10. Naruto (The anime, I felt got dragged down way too much. But the game? One of the best fighting games I've played, and one that I can honestly say can stand on its own even without the source material. In fact, my first encounter with the franchise was with the games, not the manga or anime.)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2013, 03:14:19 pm »

Basically obey the laws of the land, as long as it doesn't contradict beliefs and tenets.

This is what I was looking for, sorry if I led you on a bit.

How do you reconcile this with the fact that there are other religions with their own belief systems? If separation of church and state is so important, why does your religion get an exception to break the law if it doesn't adhere to your beliefs? How do you justify this? And what is your opinion on sacrificing some of your own beliefs for the greater good of society? Is this an option?

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2013, 07:34:11 pm »
Dude no DBZ for shame.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2013, 01:54:07 am »

Basically obey the laws of the land, as long as it doesn't contradict beliefs and tenets.

This is what I was looking for, sorry if I led you on a bit.

No probs.  :)

How do you reconcile this with the fact that there are other religions with their own belief systems?

These guys put it better than I could regarding that matter.

On a related note, we believe there's only one God, so Trinitarians as well as non-Abrahamic religions are kind of out.

If separation of church and state is so important, why does your religion get an exception to break the law if it doesn't adhere to your beliefs? How do you justify this?

Just as Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego didn't follow King Nebuchadnezzar's commandment to worship a statue, so do we. Unless the government is really out there, like North Korea or Myanmar, most of our beliefs usually coincide with state laws in general anyways, so conflicts are rare. On the rare occasions that they do exist, the Creator takes priority, first commandment, after all.

And what is your opinion on sacrificing some of your own beliefs for the greater good of society? Is this an option?

"Greater Good" can mean a variety of things to a variety of people, as history has shown. Personally, I find the greater good coincides with what I believe in, just as most people would deem their beliefs to coincide with the greater good.

In that light, sacrificing my beliefs would prove detrimental to the greater good. Of course, many governments and groups would have a different take on it and try to stop us, sometimes violently. When the IJA occupied South East Asia during WW2, they wanted the religions in the Philippines to stop preaching, under pain of death. Of course, we ignored this for the greater good, and it cost us most of our ministers, buried in the graves they themselves dug. There are more examples, but that's one of the big ones.

Dude no DBZ for shame.

If only they'd compress the arcs a bit. I mean, it's kind of a bummer when it takes ten episodes to train, two episodes to set up the fight, another two for the opening conversation, three more for the first battle, four to finish charging up, and then another three to finish the fight for good. And the majority of that time is spent slowly panning the screen as the Z fighters exchange cold stares with the enemy of the week.  :/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 02:00:03 am by Yuu »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2013, 09:58:47 am »
These guys put it better than I could regarding that matter.

On a related note, we believe there's only one God, so Trinitarians as well as non-Abrahamic religions are kind of out.

Those videos are super laggy for me and they don't buffer, to the point they're unwatchable. Could you summarise their content?

Also you know that almost all modern religions, including non-abrahamic ones are monotheistic right? Christians who believe in the trinity are monotheistic (except Mormons, apparently), its a pretty solid theological point. Even Hinduism, which seems superficially to have a whole heap of gods, is actually based on the idea of a single omnipotent deity of which all others are just aspects.

I assume the answer is in that video I can't watch, but how exactly is the idea of only one god reconciled with your being called the Church of Christ? Do you believe Jesus was a mortal man who happened to be the son of god/the messiah or was Jesus somehow just God embodied on earth?

Couple more questions. Does your religion believe in entities like saints, angels and devils who are associated with God in some way but not themselves deities. Does your religion have a hell or equivalent?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2013, 11:03:50 am »
I did not find your answers satisfactory, Yuu. But maybe that's my fault. I'd like you to try again, if you're up for it. I'm not trying to badger you, but I am trying to prod you a bit. And if it's alright, I'd like you to answer. No videos or quotes, I wanna hear your personal thoughts. I'll try asking the questions in slightly different ways, I may not have been very clear on what I was asking. Sorry for that. :-[

If your religion and its rules are set above the rules of other religions and the rules of man, do you still feel able to play ball with these groups? How do you view them and their place in the world? And what of your respect for the laws of the land, which you most-likely interact with on a far more regular basis?

And to reiterate this one, if you feel that a nation's law is in conflict with your religious beliefs, why do you get to break the law? I don't get to break the law no matter how much I disagree with it or want to. Why should you be allowed to? And are you willing to accept the consequences of breaking a law for the sake of your religion? How does your religion deal with punishments for doing things that the religion accepts but society does not?

If you are not willing to accept the consequences, how do you justify this? And if you are willing to accept the consequences, why?

Finally, how do you see your religion in relation to other religions? How are they able to exist in the world as seen through the lens of your beliefs? What I mean is: what does your religion say of their interpretation of the same or similar concepts? Are they valid? Misguided? Downright blasphemous?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:06:23 am by PatMan33 »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2013, 06:43:59 am »
Those videos are super laggy for me and they don't buffer, to the point they're unwatchable. Could you summarise their content?

That's weird. Works fine here in the States, must be a connection or driver problem.

I'll try and get the verses and how they fit into my post, emphasis mine.

False prophets appeared in the past among the people, and in the same way false teachers will appear among you. They will bring in destructive, untrue doctrines, and will deny the Master who redeemed them, and so they will bring upon themselves sudden destruction.
- II Peter 2:1

Dearly loved friends, don't always believe everything you hear. Just because someone says it is a message from God. Test it first to see if it really is, for there are many false teachers around.
- I John 4:1

Peter and John state that there are many false teachers, and thus false religions, running around in the world. Thankfully, it seems these could be tested to analyze their validity.

But what criteria?

Two criteria.

To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
- Isaiah 8:20

What is the law?

If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God or whether I speak on My own authority.
- John 7:17

Thus, we should test the law, the doctrine, to see whether it is from God or just man-made. If the doctrines are truly contained in His word, the Bible, then it is from him. If it cannot be found nor supported, or even outright contrary, then it is man-made.

This alone discounts most pagan religions.

The second criteria is the testimony.

What of the testimony?

And I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, "See that you do not do that! I am your fellow servant, and of your brethren who have the testimony of Jesus. For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."
- Revelation 19:10

Prophecies.

They must, therefore, have the testimony, the proof, of prophecy...

John 10:16 - Christ's other sheep that exist in another point in time.

Revelation 7:2-3 - An angel ascending from the east, and carrying the seal of God.

Isaiah 41:9-10 - Promises to the messenger that he shall be strengthened and upheld.

Isaiah 46:11 - A bird of prey, from a far country in the East. Who will have the responsibility of bringing people back to what is right.

Unfortunately, many will still choose to still follow false teachings despite John's advice.

The time will come when people will not listen to sound doctrine, but will follow their own desires and will collect for themselves more and more teachers who will tell them what they are itching to hear. They will turn away from listening to the truth and give their attention to legends.
- II Timothy 4:3-4

Also you know that almost all modern religions, including non-abrahamic ones are monotheistic right?

Monotheistic to a degree, yes.

Monotheistic in biblical terms, rarely.

Christians who believe in the trinity are monotheistic (except Mormons, apparently), its a pretty solid theological point.

They may see it that way, but proper analysis of the scriptures show that neither Christ nor the Holy Spirit are God.

By the way, I found a youtube mirror of the last video link...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfNvYouKRoY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfNvYouKRoY</a>

Even Hinduism, which seems superficially to have a whole heap of gods, is actually based on the idea of a single omnipotent deity of which all others are just aspects.

That's where the issue stems from.

God only has one aspect in the Bible.

Jesus and the holy spirit are separate entities. Supporters of the trinity merely take certain passages out of context or use inaccurate translations.

Case in point John 17, which trinitarian supporters tend to misinterpret despite of how clear it is.

I assume the answer is in that video I can't watch, but how exactly is the idea of only one god reconciled with your being called the Church of Christ? Do you believe Jesus was a mortal man who happened to be the son of god/the messiah or was Jesus somehow just God embodied on earth?

A process of elimination.

Since there is only one legitimate God, the one in the Bible, the non-Abrahamics are out. Out of the three, Judaism failed God while Islam was made only by a human, which leaves Christianity. Within "Christianity", there are numerous conflicting groups, each claiming legitimacy, but only through testing them can they be shown to be following the commandments of God, or just another misinterpretation of Christ's 1st century church.

The Bible says that Jesus calls His sheep by name. Thus, Church of Christ. It is, after all, His church, so it's only appropriate. That, and only by His name can anyone be saved.

Some organizations got the name right, but still fell flat in certain doctrines.

Do you believe Jesus was a mortal man who happened to be the son of god/the messiah or was Jesus somehow just God embodied on earth?

Jesus was a mortal man, but by no means an ordinary one. He's the Messiah, the example of what a perfect, God-abiding human should look and be like.

He's God's Son and the firstborn of all creation. Even before Earth, or Heaven, or even Lucifer, Jesus already existed in the form of the Word: the will, the concept, the first piece in God's overarching plan.

He is, pretty much, the first thing that popped into God's mind when he wanted to create everything.

Couple more questions. Does your religion believe in entities like saints, angels and devils who are associated with God in some way but not themselves deities.

Angels do exist, though probably not like the Greek-influenced cherubs in pop culture. There's a reason they say "Fear not."

Devils are basically angels, who just happen to rebel and thus get damned. Being a devil is more a "faction" than a "race" of some kind, as is depicted in pop culture. Chief of them is, of course, Lucifer.

Saints do exist, but not in the Catholic sense. People don't go to heaven instantly after they die. Only a handful are up there right now, including Jesus. It's not some kind of rank either.

Being a saint is essentially just that, being a saint: an upright and righteous servant of God. It is the goal of all Christians. The Holy City is called the City of Saints because that's essentially the kind of people who will live in it.

Does your religion have a hell or equivalent?

The Lake of Fire (and Brimstone).

Most people see Hell as some kind of place underground that Satan rules over. But the truth is, Hell is essentially the place where the universe's "trash" is burned, and Satan doesn't rule over it. In fact, he's the worst trash in the pile.

It doesn't exist, yet, as clearly this world has yet to end. When it does, though, it's not gonna be a pretty place to spend forever in.

I did not find your answers satisfactory, Yuu. But maybe that's my fault. I'd like you to try again, if you're up for it. I'm not trying to badger you, but I am trying to prod you a bit. And if it's alright, I'd like you to answer. No videos or quotes, I wanna hear your personal thoughts. I'll try asking the questions in slightly different ways, I may not have been very clear on what I was asking. Sorry for that. :-[

No prob. Though, those videos/quotes basically do coincide with my personal thoughts, since well, that's why I kept my membership. But, yeah, probably had something to do with me doing that while half-asleep.

If your religion and its rules are set above the rules of other religions and the rules of man, do you still feel able to play ball with these groups? How do you view them and their place in the world? And what of your respect for the laws of the land, which you most-likely interact with on a far more regular basis?

We're perfectly fine with playing ball with nation states so long as they don't force us to do things opposite of our beliefs. The powers on Earth provide a semblance of order, but as with most things human, they are not perfect. We respect the laws of the land, trying to see things from their perspective, but at the same time not losing sight of why we chose our beliefs over theirs, ie. we may have cordial relations with Islamic superiors but we won't marry more than one person ourselves or accept being forced to do the Salah.

And to reiterate this one, if you feel that a nation's law is in conflict with your religious beliefs, why do you get to break the law? I don't get to break the law no matter how much I disagree with it or want to. Why should you be allowed to? And are you willing to accept the consequences of breaking a law for the sake of your religion? How does your religion deal with punishments for doing things that the religion accepts but society does not?

Because we value our principles more than the appeasement of man-made nation-states which will eventually be eroded by the passage of time, after all things have been said and done. As for why you don't get to break the law, human history is bathed in the blood of countless martyrs, the members of the Church of Christ during the Apostles' time were constantly harassed or outright killed for a variety of things, yet that didn't stop them from doing what they had to do. Unlike certain other groups, we aren't the type to choose our principles over the law of the land and then try to overthrow the system. Building a theocratic state on this Earth is counter to our mission.

Nations' governments could burst into our worship services to try and arrest our ministers, attempt to coerce the administration into combining with other religions, or even command us to not preach under penalty of death, they're free to come and try; and they have, as everything I said above really did happen during the reign of the Second Philippine Republic, and we paid for it in blood when we didn't budge.

The worse we could do is act through legal means, but it is up to the lawmakers of Earth whether they shall consider or not. Whatever happens, we won't change our stance on our beliefs.

If you are not willing to accept the consequences, how do you justify this? And if you are willing to accept the consequences, why?

I'd rather suffer now and gain solace later rather than the other way around.

Our organization has always seen itself as a transient in this world, wandering about it but not settling down to the point of losing sight of our goal. We have our sights and our loyalty set on a nation beyond those built by the powers on Earth, and it's always been that way ever since a certain carpenter decided to help a bunch of fisherman catch some fish in the Sea of Galilee. In the end, the nations of Earth isn't where our citizenship, and thus our priorities, truly lie, so risking your true citizenship in order to appease a temporary power is a meaningless pursuit.

Finally, how do you see your religion in relation to other religions? How are they able to exist in the world as seen through the lens of your beliefs?

There are many beliefs, but there is only one completely true belief. Ever since the first act of human rebellion in history, people have found many ways to separate themselves from what was right. The fabrication of distorted, or outright false, beliefs is just one of those ways. Some deliberately make these fabrications, some do it unwittingly, many are simply carried by the tide; regardless, the fact remains that those false views exist and are actively harming humanity.

Now, more than ever, the task of sifting through this convoluted web of fabricated religions has become exceedingly tedious. But that does not mean that those truly dedicated to the cause are free to give up. Search and search until you can find the truth, or die trying and be judged according to your devotion in finding that truth.

What I mean is: what does your religion say of their interpretation of the same or similar concepts? Are they valid? Misguided? Downright blasphemous?

It depends, but usually it's a mixed bag. Some groups have some parts that they get right, ie. Jesus is not God, others... you get the feel their creators were deliberately doing what they can to go in the opposite direction of what was taught to them by those that did get it right, ie. forbids marriage despite orders not to do so.

Pagan groups like the Mayan priesthood are typically misguided due to plain lack of contact. However, others like the Iglesia Catholica Apostolica Romana, which despite their founders being direct pupils of the Apostles, still decided to go against nearly everything that their teachers stood for. Either way, once they do learn about and understand the importance of the proper way of doing things, they're not excused if they still cling to their mistakes.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2013, 09:30:07 am »
You know all the other denominations of Christianity also claim that they are ultimately justified by the content of the Bible, right?

Also, how does your your church deal with the perennial problem of translation? The Bible was written in Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek, then translated through Latin, and then into English/Spanish/Tagalog/whatever, a process lasting thousands of years. How can you use a document with such poor copy fidelity to uphold the 'rightness' of your particular church. Especially when the explanations given were quite dependent on some specific passages which don't even come out of the same books. Half of it is even from the old testament.

Oh also there's this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Church_of_Christ_in_the_Philippines#Faith_and_Practice

The United Church of Christ in the Philippines is trinitarian and believes in the deity... of Jesus.

Apparently there is more than one church in the Philippines which calls itself the Church of Christ. Thanks Ink.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:11:47 am by Krakow Sam »

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2013, 09:40:22 am »
Pagan groups like the Mayan priesthood are typically misguided due to plain lack of contact.

Sounds like kind of a crappy god - either unable or unwilling to contact those who don't know of him, yet willing to punish those who don't consider him the one true god.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:40:29 am by ɐןsǝ⊥ »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2013, 09:51:21 am »
No Tesla don't be silly the lost tribes of Israel sailed over to America and spread the gospel there. You must be forgetting all this because you haven't been wearing your magic underwear.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2013, 11:43:09 am »
Sounds like  kind of a crappy god - either unable or unwilling to contact those who don't know of him, yet willing to punish those who don't consider him the one true god.

You can for a moment consider that not everyone was contacted, yet can't accept the fact that Jesus was sent to Earth specifically to fix that issue? In fact, that's what we're doing right now, and so far we've covered 6 continents and over a hundred nationalities and cultures.

Additionally, God has always had a policy of choosing a people which will uphold His teachings. This can be traced all the way back to God choosing Abel over Cain. So it's really nothing new.

Besides, there's a major misconception here: The Bible states that everyone who didn't get to live long enough to hear God's teachings will be judged by the law in their hearts, that is, they shall be judged by their conscience.

God is only going to send people to Hell if they've seen and recognized the truth but still stubbornly refuses to accept it.

You know all the other denominations of Christianity also claim that they are ultimately justified by the content of the Bible, right?

Yes. They claim to be justified by it, but are they really?

Do they have doctrines coherent with Christ's? If a group claims to be Christ's but teaches things that are opposite to what He taught, do they truly bear the law?

Do they have the proof of prophecy? Christ ultimately proved his legitimacy not through claims alone but also through fulfilling various prophecies ascribed to him. I can sense certain prophecies being fulfilled by certain other groups, but said prophecies are far from wholesome (1 Timothy 4:1).

Also, how does your your church deal with the perennial problem of translation?

What problem?

We have access to the Greek and Aramaic versions.

The Bible was written in Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek, then translated through Latin, and then into English/Spanish/Tagalog/whatever, a process lasting thousands of years.

Yes.

How can you use a document with such poor copy fidelity to uphold the 'rightness' of your particular church.

If someone grabbed the Oxford English Dictionary and made improper translations of it, does that tarnish the legitimacy of the original document? I believe what a lot of translators have done is quite wrong, but that doesn't mean I'm going to attack the source document which had nothing to do with the whole crime.

Regardless, the Bible has been preserved accurately in certain languages (Greek and Aramaic), so the prophecy that says God's Word shall be preserved still rings true.

Especially when the explanations given were quite dependent on some specific passages which don't even come out of the same books. Half of it is even from the old testament.

The same criticism can be levied on Christ. He regularly pointed out to people that He is the fulfillment of the prophecies made by certain Old Testament prophets, particularly Isaiah. Prophecy has long been a mainstay litmus test for those claiming the truth.

As for why different books are used, think about it: God is ultimately the one who inspired people to write all of those books, so it makes sense that definitions are coherent throughout it unless stated otherwise by the author. Additionally, the Bible is shrouded in mystery and purposely designed by God to elude anyone who He didn't appoint (Mark 4:10).

The Bible isn't a simple book which you can read from front to back. The best you'd get is an interesting story, at worst you'd be left wandering about all the loose ends. Again, it takes God's approval to decode it.

What's so hard to understand about Christ's "other sheep" that weren't part of either the Jews nor the Gentiles, the other two thirds? And that they shall arise from islands in the Far East just as a worldwide war (as well as rumors of it) where people will use trench warfare, military aircraft, and tanks rages on, with an interim peace about half an hour in God's time (1d=1000y:1/2h=~20y).

Oh also there's this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Church_of_Christ_in_the_Philippines#Faith_and_Practice

The United Church of Christ in the Philippines is trinitarian and believes in the deity... of Jesus.

Apparently there is more than one church in the Philippines which calls itself the Church of Christ. Thanks Ink.

Yes, there is.

I've driven past it and others like it countless times.

But can they prove themselves as coherent with the Bible's teachings? Can they point out prophecies that were fulfilled in them?

As the UCCiP kindly demonstrated, they don't adhere to God's teachings because the Bible has said numerous times that the two people are not the same. God Himself stated that he is not a man. Christ said that God is a spirit, and clearly Christ has flesh and bones so He's not God.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:45:43 am by Yuu »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2013, 12:05:50 pm »
I'm only going to respond to your answer to my question about the bible being translated for now to avoid an escalating quote pyramid.

You know we don't actually have any "first edition" Bibles, right? Even the oldest bibles we have date to centuries after the birth of christ. I never suggested that translations somehow invalidate the original Bible, I'm saying that despite what some people might think, it is not in fact immutable and has changed a lot through transcription and translation. That being the case, there has to be some doubt cast on any 'proofs' (for anything) which are put forward citing a specifically worded passage of the Bible.

Many things are unambiguous and can be assumed not to have changed much. "Thou Shalt Not Kill" is pretty self-explanatory.

But then there's the case of the original Hebrew word used to describe the mother of Christ, almah, meaning 'young woman' which was then translated into the Greek parthenos, meaning virgin. I'm not sure where your church stands on the Virgin Birth but its very important to Catholics :P

I'm not trying to get at you or your religion specifically. It's just that this stuff is interesting to think about  :P

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2013, 12:16:11 pm »
Sounds like  kind of a crappy god - either unable or unwilling to contact those who don't know of him, yet willing to punish those who don't consider him the one true god.

You can for a moment consider that not everyone was contacted, yet can't accept the fact that Jesus was sent to Earth specifically to fix that issue? In fact, that's what we're doing right now, and so far we've covered 6 continents and over a hundred nationalities and cultures.

Additionally, God has always had a policy of choosing a people which will uphold His teachings. This can be traced all the way back to God choosing Abel over Cain. So it's really nothing new.

Besides, there's a major misconception here: The Bible states that everyone who didn't get to live long enough to hear God's teachings will be judged by the law in their hearts, that is, they shall be judged by their conscience.

God is only going to send people to Hell if they've seen and recognized the truth but still stubbornly refuses to accept it.

This is an argument I'm well familiar with, and it does nothing to tackle the "unable or unwilling" thing. Why would god choose to contact everyone on Earth in such a ridiculously slow, inefficient manner, that so closely resembles the way people would be contacted if there was no god at all? Is god not all powerful? Did god know that such a ludicrous manner of spreading the word would lead to billions rejecting it? And if he did know, did he do it intentionally for some malevolent purpose? God apparently intentionally created the world knowing that billions of people would already have been swayed by other faiths by the time word of his reached their ears, and did nothing to stop it.

And another thing - you say that if people haven't had a chance to learn of god, then they'll be judged by their inherent morality. Why is this not a better system than spreading your religion and gambling on whether or not people will accept it? How could missionaries possibly believe that what they were doing is a good thing, if this were the case? It seems to me to be a very, very, very cruel and heartless thing to do. All they're doing is making it so good and honest people are less likely to reach heaven. (And giving bad or unjust people a chance to reach it.)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2013, 12:21:30 pm »
The Preacher (comics) touch on a lot of this stuff about the nature of God and why it behaves the way it does. Their conclusion is pretty great and it's a great series to boot. Lots of horrifying violence.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2013, 12:39:24 pm »
Oh, cool! I'm always on the lookout for good standalone comic series.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2013, 02:20:59 pm »
Many things are unambiguous and can be assumed not to have changed much. "Thou Shalt Not Kill" is pretty self-explanatory.

No man the Hebrew just means don't murder it's totally okay to gun people down if they're in your house/have oil/looked at you funny.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2013, 03:41:42 pm »
How long have you been in the states?  How long have you been with your denomination?  I don't remember you mentioning either thing before you came back.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2013, 11:49:34 am »
How long have you been in the states?

That's odd. I seem to recall two separate occasions where I was active while in the US for months at a time. ???

Well, in any case, I've been here for almost a year and a half now, my longest record. Might fly to the Phils in 2014, though, to pick up some relatives if my brother doesn't do it.

How long have you been with your denomination?

Well, we don't actually believe in denominations, but if you're referring to my group, I've been with them since childhood and was baptized at 13.

Oh, cool! I'm always on the lookout for good standalone comic series.

Well... It's not a standalone comic, but have you played Shin Megami Tensei?

Granted, both Lucifer and Satan are kind of polarized on opposite ends of the spectrum of order and chaos, but a lot of folks seem to like it.

No man the Hebrew just means don't murder it's totally okay to gun people down if they're in your house/have oil/looked at you funny.

Yup.

Well, maybe not the oil or looked at you funny part, but yeah.

This is an argument I'm well familiar with, and it does nothing to tackle the "unable or unwilling" thing. Why would god choose to contact everyone on Earth in such a ridiculously slow, inefficient manner, that so closely resembles the way people would be contacted if there was no god at all?

Is it? Or do people just choose to see what they want instead of what the truth? This reminds me of the fog from Persona 4. Humans want to stay in it because it keeps them happy instead of facing the harsh realities. It is more comforting to think that there is no karmic backlash and that they can do whatever they want. They see a gigantic depression gouged out by a massive flood but rationalize this as sendimental deposits over millions of years, even though there are things like bones and logs cut clear through multiple material layers as well as extreme folds that couldn't possibly form over such long periods, among other things.

Is god not all powerful?

He is, but that doesn't mean He has to spoonfeed every sentient creature in existence and generally act as their manservant.

Did god know that such a ludicrous manner of spreading the word would lead to billions rejecting it?

Extremely complex, maybe, but ludicrous is contestable considering the very purpose of all of this is to allow people to choose and grow. In a complacent society with no challenges, there is no growth. Do you want to live in a world where you can reach out to the truth or one where you will just spend it all in the fog, nothing but a docile sloth with nothing to his/her name that he/she can honestly claim to be worth anything. It's like you want everyone to be a billionaire but don't want an economy either.

As for the number of people who reject it, it's a failed argument. Regardless of method, people would still exercise their will. A third of heaven rebelled and paid for it, even though they had an utterly idyllic existence. Despite their strong will, they allowed their good life to get into their heads, so who knows how worse humanity would end up if we lived like they do. And here's the thing: because of how well off they were compared to humans, they don't get to have a second, third, or fourth chance, unlike us. Furthermore, even those in heaven that did remain loyal won't have the same opportunity to climb the ladder as humans, since those humans that do choose God is said to eventually lead all other races.

Think of it this way: humans exist with greater difficulties, but can also achieve a lot more as a result. I'm sure some of those angels that rebelled probably got angry over the fact that they can't achieve the same things humans can and thus became jealous of their immense potential. Both existences have their merits, it's just that it appears sentient beings will always be sentient beings and will want to be in someone else's shoes.

And if he did know, did he do it intentionally for some malevolent purpose?

No. See above.

God apparently intentionally created the world knowing that billions of people would already have been swayed by other faiths by the time word of his reached their ears, and did nothing to stop it.

Even if you've lief your life as someone in another faith, when God calls you, you will see the light. The Church of Christ was reestablished in the Philippines with just two members, a married couple, but now span 6 continents, over a hundred ethnicity and nationalities, and with a serial number that is estimated by other groups to be around almost 27 million back in the early 2000's and currently doubling due to countless missions.

It seems less a problem of few being called and more a problem of few wanting to be chosen. And you can't change that unless you want to revoke human's ability of will.

Why is this not a better system than spreading your religion and gambling on whether or not people will accept it?

We do not gamble.

Missionaries are merely tools, and if they are doing their job right, the true intercourse is between the person's heart and God. If they don't do it properly, then the onus is on them and they shall be made accountable.

As for why God sets aside a people for his own, that is so that he can have human representatives on Earth.

How could missionaries possibly believe that what they were doing is a good thing, if this were the case?

Again, see above.

It seems to me to be a very, very, very cruel and heartless thing to do. All they're doing is making it so good and honest people are less likely to reach heaven.

Before Earth was even made, good and honest people lived in heaven. They were called angels. They still found a way to turn ill. They're caleld demons now.

What God is doing is giving humanity the privilege of possessing the potential to exceed all other forms of life:

Animals have no moral agency and thus can neither go to heaven nor hell. They live their lives driven by instinct and fade away the same as they came.

Angels do have moral agency but can only grow so far due to their comparatively easy life. They can become great people, in fact they are great people, but can never hope to surpass the achievements of a successful human.

Humans have moral agency as well and can reach heights no other race can even aspire to due to the many trials that tempered their resolve along their way. A perfected human is the pinnacle of all creation and possesses the deepest personal relationship with the creator of the universe.

(And giving bad or unjust people a chance to reach it.)

Only a literal handful of people who have a properly functioning moral agency are good and just. It only takes one time, one time, of committing something ill and you are already deemed wrong in heaven's sight. Perfection isn't a loose word in God's terms: Perfection is literal perfection. 100%. Straight A++'s. Without spot nor blemish.

Jesus died to allow humans the chance to become perfect, by making Himself, the Head, accountable for the mistakes of the people who choose to be a part of His church, the Body, aka the Church of Christ.

I'm only going to respond to your answer to my question about the bible being translated for now to avoid an escalating quote pyramid.

Aww...  :(

You know we don't actually have any "first edition" Bibles, right?

Yup.

Even the oldest bibles we have date to centuries after the birth of christ. I never suggested that translations somehow invalidate the original Bible,

Yes, continue...

I'm saying that despite what some people might think, it is not in fact immutable and has changed a lot through transcription and translation.

A lot of the later versions, yes. But that doesn't mean all of them.

That being the case, there has to be some doubt cast on any 'proofs' (for anything) which are put forward citing a specifically worded passage of the Bible.

It's less a case of a particular wording and more a case of filtering out the stuff that got damaged and no longer jive with the rest of the Bible.

Actually, case in point. The oldest sources actually say "Thou Shalt Not Kill", as lurk pointed out. :)

But then there's the case of the original Hebrew word used to describe the mother of Christ, almah, meaning 'young woman' which was then translated into the Greek parthenos, meaning virgin. I'm not sure where your church stands on the Virgin Birth but its very important to Catholics :P

Young woman and virgin actually both apply to Miriam/Mary.

People married early in the olden times, and teenage people certainly fit the bill of being young looking.

As for her virginity, Mary was neither a widow nor said to have had any relations prior to Joseph, and I don't need to elaborate on the matter of premarital sex back in those days.

I'm not trying to get at you or your religion specifically. It's just that this stuff is interesting to think about  :P

No prob.  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:24:12 pm by Yuu »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2013, 04:38:42 pm »
Ok Yuu, by dissecting my post into little bits you are totally missing the point of what I'm trying to say :I

But whatever. New question.

I know that you, as a really strong believer in your religion might find it hard to believe, but people don't exactly get to choose whether they believe in this stuff or not. I've been an atheist/agnostic my entire life, and the closest I've ever come to religion was a childhood belief in Santa Claus. It is as impossible for me to imagine myself believing in god as I'm sure it would be for you to imagine yourself not believing in god.

Even if I wanted to be religious I would at best be paying lip service. Whatever it is inside some people that makes them turn to religion just plain doesn't exist in me.

How does that fit into your worldview? Are you willing to accept that what I'm saying is true, or are you just going to rationalise it as me not having 'seen the light' or being stubborn or whatever else?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2013, 05:45:41 pm »
Ok Yuu, by dissecting my post into little bits you are totally missing the point of what I'm trying to say :I

I know folks who don't believe that the Bible survived intact into modern times, I talked to one frequently in another site I went to. Still, we stand by the view that the data in the Bible did survive in a perfectly coherent and congruent manner, however, it is hard for others to decipher because they don't have the same insight on how to read it. It's like trying to decipher the back of a cereal box without a decoder ring.  :)

The fact that the Bible can be deciphered is one of the tests for a true prophet.

Well, gotta go, I'll get back later.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2013, 02:19:01 am »
Unrelated to the topic at hand, but Yuu, could you stop replying to posts sentence by sentence? For one it creates unnecessarily huge posts, and secondly most sentences relate to each other, so you only have to reply to the point made, not to every sentence separately. That'd make your replies far more easily readable.
Thanks.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2013, 03:35:29 am »
The sentence by sentence thing is the reason why some forums don't have the quote button.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2013, 08:05:07 am »
It's the reason Daxx doesn't come here anymore. huehue

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2013, 10:14:21 am »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2013, 08:57:03 pm »
Unrelated to the topic at hand, but Yuu, could you stop replying to posts sentence by sentence? For one it creates unnecessarily huge posts, and secondly most sentences relate to each other, so you only have to reply to the point made, not to every sentence separately. That'd make your replies far more easily readable.
Thanks.
The sentence by sentence thing is the reason why some forums don't have the quote button.
It's the reason Daxx doesn't come here anymore. huehue

Old Spacebattler habit.  :/

I'll try and fix it as much as I can.

Sorry.

Umm... Andrew Lansley?  ???

I know that you, as a really strong believer in your religion might find it hard to believe, but people don't exactly get to choose whether they believe in this stuff or not. I've been an atheist/agnostic my entire life, and the closest I've ever come to religion was a childhood belief in Santa Claus. It is as impossible for me to imagine myself believing in god as I'm sure it would be for you to imagine yourself not believing in god.

Even if I wanted to be religious I would at best be paying lip service. Whatever it is inside some people that makes them turn to religion just plain doesn't exist in me.

It's actually not that much of a stretch. There's been numerous cases of people from secular backgrounds that joined religious organizations and became quite dedicated to them. There's also the case of people who came from deeply devout backgrounds but eventually grew to be quite set on agnosticism or atheism.

Of course, it's not the majority by any stretch, but the phenomenon does exist. Heel face turns can happen to the most unlikely of people.  :)

How does that fit into your worldview? Are you willing to accept that what I'm saying is true, or are you just going to rationalise it as me not having 'seen the light' or being stubborn or whatever else?

Indeed, it is certainly possible that a person who spent their life in a highly secular society to be secular for their entire life, especially if the only religions they had in contact with can't answer their questions or worse were outright actively malicious to them or to many others. In that case, they'd be judged according to their consciousness.

However, it is also equally true that people simply choose to not accept what they've heard, even if they know its true on a deep or subconscious level. Maybe it's because of pride, or a grudge, or greed, or maybe something else. Only the person can dig into themselves to find out, and only if they choose to do so.

Of course, there's also the possibility that the person doing the missionary work is not doing it properly or acting without proper devotion, at which point the missionary is the one liable due to their lack of sincerity for their work and will be the one to answer on that last day.

In the end, us regular humans are unable to see within other people's hearts and have made mistakes ourselves, we don't have the right to judge with ultimate certainty the ultimate fate of other people. The only thing we can do is teach them what should be done, the consequences of not doing it, the benefits of doing it, and so on. When all is said and done, missionaries and people of the faith can merely be guides to others: the ultimate choice is up to the person him/herself.   :)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2013, 07:39:23 pm »
So, that earthquake the other day in the Philippines.  Are your friends and family back there okay?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2013, 10:36:58 am »
Thankfully, yes. The quake was centered in Bohol, halfway across the islands, so there wasn't much of a physical effect in Metro Manila.  :)

As for Bohol itself, yeah, a lot of places got totaled, broken buildings, fallen bridges, and so on. The already poor island is only gonna suffer more from this, especially with the quake's effect on tourism.

Still, it could've been worse. If that quake were to have happened in the Marikina Fault, the metropolitan area's poor (or in most cases non-existent) construction regulations would cause the area to fall like a field of dominoes, killing tens of thousands.  :-\

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2013, 03:06:42 pm »
Well, it's a good thing that didn't happen. And by the way, Yuu, I never actually read this topic before now. After having seen some of the religion-related stuff, I just wanted to say that's nice to see someone on the internet who is of the same faith (roughly) and actually knows their ****. :)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2013, 03:40:38 pm »
Well, it's a good thing that didn't happen.

Thanks.  :)

And by the way, Yuu, I never actually read this topic before now. After having seen some of the religion-related stuff, I just wanted to say that's nice to see someone on the internet who is of the same faith (roughly) and actually knows their ****. :)

Double thanks.  :)