Author Topic: Superhero-Themed Mafia Game?  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
Superhero-Themed Mafia Game?
« on: July 04, 2013, 04:53:48 am »
Is anyone up for a new Mafia-Game? I had the idea for a superhero theme, where each role represents a special power. The mafias would be villains, obviously.

There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero-Themed Mafia Game?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 06:59:01 am »
I never was good at those games... So maybe ;)
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:29:16 am »
Been a while since we've done one of these. Sounds neat!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:44:55 am »
I have always supported you in your endeavours Flisch. I'm in!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 07:13:33 pm »
Heck yes I'm in.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 07:35:13 pm »
O.o We even have enough people these days?

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 05:13:49 am »
O.o We even have enough people these days?
That's basically why I made a thread asking for interest first.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 01:55:37 pm »
What the hell are those facebook buttons doing in your post? I'll play.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 04:52:36 pm »
You were just waiting for me to not have enough time, weren't you?
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 07:34:04 pm »
I would love to play but I'm heading to Europe on Monday and won't be back until the 16th. I could play then.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 02:32:26 am »
Haha, I'm away for the week starting the 15th :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 11:32:16 am »
I'm definetly game.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 08:51:00 am »
I will play if this really happens.
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 05:08:36 pm »
So there are around 8 people who would like to play, where some of them are not entirely sure if they can/will play. That's good for a start, but I sincerely hope there will be more people, as I am aiming for at least 12 people. (9 Heroes, 3 Villains) Everything above it is welcome but I don't think I'll start a game below 12.

While I realize it might be a bit too early to think about fleshed out roles before I don't even know if the game is going to be, I think posting some ideas for roles is not bad, mostly to get a sense of how the game is going to play. And maybe I am even able to generate some additional interest. :)

As a quick aside, all roles in this game are active visiting roles. Most people feel useless or bored with a passive role and I think it takes part of the game away for the passive players, namely the night phase.

Also, all roles are left ambigious about their gender on purpose. Every player's character is simply refered to as female or male based on the player's gender. (Immersion get!)

Heroes

Falcon
The visited person can't visit this night and can't be visited. The target is told that it can't remember the last night. Can't visit self.
The Falcon has the unique ability to command spacetime. Falcon can create a pocket in our reality and cut it off, essentially making something or someone disappear. Spacetime however quickly heals its scars and the targeted object returns after a few hours. Interestingly enough, Falcon serves as some sort of anchoring point for spacetime, thus preventing him from using his superpower on himself.

Chameleon
All visits that target Chameleon target the visited person instead and vice versa. Only counts for the night.
Chameleon possesses the ability to mimic someone else's appareance completely. While he does that he also makes his target look like him, essentially switching places with his victim.

Enigma
Visits one person during the night. The result is randomly one of the following: Enigma knows the target's power; the target knows Enigma's identity; Enigma kills the target; the target's votes count twice the following day. Can't visit self.
When Enigma received his psychic powers, he couln't control them completely and he thought it was just because he was new with it and he would get better at controlling his powers over time. It turned out not to be true however and his psychic powers remain as chaotic and unpredictable as always. Sometimes the victim's mind is overloaded with psychic energy until its brain melts. Other times the psychic energies heighten the target's mental capacity and senses. Often, when Enigma tries to establish a psychic link with a person, the connection backfires and his target can read his mind. And sometimes, once in a full moon, Enigma's power does what it is supposed to do and he can get access into people's minds.

Oracle
Knows the target's alignment, but not their power.
Oracle's power is not as spectacular as those of other heroes, but Oracle has been a valued member of the superhero community since the day he joined. Oracle's power lies in his ability not to read minds but to connect to people on a deeper level. Oracle doesn't read people's thoughts and memories, he reads their emotions and passions. Oracle can discern people's intentions without ever knowing their actual goals. When a new hero wants to join the superhero academy, Oracle decides wether or not they fit it.

Hex
Everything that happens to the target this night and the following day also happens to Hex and vice versa. If one of them is lynched during the following day, both die.
Hex's ability is not well understood and its uses are even more of a puzzle. Hex finds himself with a power that makes everything that happens to a particular person happen to Hex as well. Both injuries as well as feelings are transmitted to Hex. This link works both ways too and nobody dares to hurt Hex, afraid of the consequences.

Shadow
Follows the target during the night. Knows who that person visited.
Every once in a while the superhero academy lets a powerless but gifted person attend to remind the other students that not superpowers make heroes but determination and aspiration. Shadow is the newest addition of these 'Normaloe' oddballs and has made himself quite a name despite the disadvantage of being a regular human being. Shadow understands well how to blend in with the shadows and he works as both a spy and an informant for the superhero community.

Villains

The Mirror
During each night, The Mirror can choose between targeting a hero or using its ability. If The Mirror targets a hero, they get that hero's power until they decide to target a new hero. If the chosen hero dies, The Mirror loses their power and they have to choose a new hero.
The Mirror is a regular human being obsessed with the idea of becoming a superhero as well. After decades of work, The Mirror has finally found a way to mimic a superhero's power. It has a drawback though, copying the power only works as long as the hero is alive and it fades away quickly. This leaves The Mirror highly dependant on the heroes despite wanting to eliminate them to become the only true superhero the world knows.

The Cozen
Corrupts various reports: Oracle's reports on the visited person makes heroes appear as villains and vice versa; Enigma's reports are changed by giving out random roles of the target's opposing team; and Shadow's reports are changed to a visit on the nightly villain kill if Shadow's target is a hero, otherwise the report is changed to a visit on The Cozen. Only counts for one night. The Cozen can visit itself.
The Cozen is a master of deceit and doesn't need any superpowers to make himself useful. After losing his loved one to an accident involving a superhero he swore revenge and set out to kill every superhero in existence. The Cozen manipulates the superhero community and tries to destroy it from the inside. The Cozen is even able to interfere with psychic powers.

The Widow
The targeted person can't visit this night. The target gets the same report as if it was visited by Falcon.
After a freak accident involving spider venom antidotes, various chemicals and an explosion, The Widow changes into a grotesque human spider hybrid every night. Afraid of being a monster, The Widow has been driven insane and has been found by one of the forces trying to bring down the superhero academy. Like a real Spider, The Widow can spin web and uses it to put people into cocoons. The Widow can also produce a relatively harmless poison that makes the victim suffer from short term memory amnesia.

If anyone has some ideas for roles, feel free to post them.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 11:01:15 am »
Looks great so far! I especially like the "Mirror" mechanic.