Author Topic: Heart of Ice  (Read 7949 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2013, 04:16:56 am »
The Mutant!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 27, 2013, 05:18:42 am »
Agreed.

I'm interested in seeing how paradoxing can be put to use.

Offline lowlevelowl

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2013, 08:19:14 pm »
HEART OF ICE, TAKE 2

You are packed and ready to leave the inn at dawn. Cold grey light seeps in through the row of dusty portholes at the side of the common room. Making your way to the door, you find the innkeeper polishing the antique Formica desk. Seeing you set your pack down beside the door, he comes over and kicks away one of the careteks which had its metal body pressed down across the door-sill.

"You're lucky having those," you say, pushing the door open a crack to take a breath of fresh icy air. The innkeeper grunts as he watches the caretek re-orient itself and glide away across the floor. "They are a mixed blessing, since they insist on trying to repair the inn to the form it had originally. This door is a feature that I added myself, more convenient than the hatchway at the back of the fuselage. But if I leave it unattended for more than a few hours at a time, those wretched careteks always try to weld it shut!"

You smile to show that you sympathise. "I'd be grateful for your advice. I'm now travelling on to the Sahara. What is the best route?"

The innkeeper flings the door wide, ignoring the curses that erupt from his customers at the sudden intrusion of cold air. Gazing across the expanse of dazzling white snow, he says, "The most obvious course would take you to Venis, where you could board the ferry for Kahira, and yet..." He rubs his hands, blowing out a long furl of steam in the chill air. "Myself, I'd be tempted to go instead through the Lyonesse jungle, just to savour a bit of warmth in this frigid world. Thence across the Jib-and-Halter and the Atlas Mountains - unless you stumbled across the ruins of lost Marsay, of course, in which case you might even find a tube tunnel to take you straight to the Sahara!"

Thanking the innkeeper for his advice, you indicate that you are ready to pay your bill. He looks at you in surprise and points to a small dapper man in a grey-trimmed white snowsuit. "Your friend there has already paid."

At this, the small man comes over and extends his hand, smiling broadly. "Hello. My name is Kyle Boche. I believe we're travelling in the same direction."

• accept Kyle Boche as your companion on the road
  • tell him that you prefer to travel alone

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2013, 01:29:25 am »
Let him travel with us. If nothing else we can use him as a source of sustenance.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline lowlevelowl

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2013, 11:56:18 am »
"I overheard you say you were bound for the Saharan Ice Wastes," says Boche. "My own journey takes me in that direction."

As you set off together through the deep drifts of snow, Boche takes your arm and points to a row of black wooden posts. "That is the road to Venis. We can catch the ferry from there to Kahira."

• agree to go east to Venis
  • go west through the Lyonesse jungle, as the innkeeper recommended

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2013, 09:46:30 pm »
Safety seems to be in Venis. My vote there. If this bump is in poor judgement, please PM me and I'll remove it.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.