Author Topic: Heart of Ice  (Read 8033 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Krakow Sam

  • Moderator
  • Dungeon Sieger
  • *****
  • Posts: 24485
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 01:48:23 pm »
Take THE MAXIMUM POSSIBLE AMOUNT OF SKUDGE
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Rysworld

  • Autoduel Mechanic
  • *****
  • Posts: 4219
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 02:27:52 pm »
Hehe, agreed. Take seven. We can always drop them if we need something else.

Use CYBERNETICS as well- I'd assume that fixes the machine?

Offline lowlevelowl

  • Phoenix Fighter
  • **
  • Posts: 172
    • View Profile
9
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 12:04:51 am »
MAXIMUM SKUDGE TAKEN.
__________________

A short distance along one of the tunnels you find a doorway. While Fax looks on with fluttering gestures of protest, you force the door and enter a small computer room. A caretek is crawling across the banks of equipment, dutifully sweeping away the dust. You log into the computer. As you suspected, it maintains the city's generator and lighting systems, as well as hydroponic gardens which are presumably the ultimate source of food here.

Fax screws up enough courage to peer over your shoulder. "What are you doing?"

Your fingers flit across the keyboard. "Trying to find if there's a communication line to the outside world still working anywhere in the city. Ah, here's one! Now I'm going to contact GAIA."

Fax utters a doleful bleat. "Surely GAIA is mad? You are rash to draw her attention. She might switch off the sun!"
Quote
  • persist attempting to contact GAIA
  • agree that the risk is too great & explore the transit tunnels
  • agree that the risk is too great & leave Marsay to continue west
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:07:52 am by lowlevelowl »

Offline Rysworld

  • Autoduel Mechanic
  • *****
  • Posts: 4219
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 12:25:06 am »
Hmm.

I don't know what to do here. If GAIA DOES do something to us, Fax would probably try to kill us. But it seems like she was maybe expecting to be contacted, with her message?

Persist, I guess.

Offline lowlevelowl

  • Phoenix Fighter
  • **
  • Posts: 172
    • View Profile
336
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2013, 12:36:38 am »
"Possibly you overestimate GAIA's powers; she does not control the sun." you reply with a scornful laugh. The screen flickers and a blue globe logo appears announcing access to GAIA. Quickly you type.

Quote
>GAIA, ARE YOU THERE?
>Where is there? Here is everywhere.

Unfortunately GAIA is in one of her confused phases. You try again.

Quote
>HOW MUST I REACH DU-EN?
>Giza first. The pyramid.

You seem to sense, in the juddering way the type appears on the screen, a great struggle is going on inside GAIA's mind.

Quote
>You can find a friend in Gilgamesh. Enter Humbaba...

The message degenerates into gibberish. You break the link then, after pausing to reflect, you order the local computer to shut down. There is a chance it became afflicted with GAIA's viruses during the link, and it would not do to have a nuclear reactor go critical somewhere nearby.

"I'm afraid you'll lose electricity soon." you tell Fax. "There's probably enough power in the storage cells for a day or two, then you'll have to make other arrangements for your lighting and so forth."

His jaw sags. "What have you done? You have wrecked my little paradise, all for the sake of a word with your precious GAIA!"

You shrug. "Those few words might mean the salvation of mankind if I can work out what they meant."

Write down the codeword HUMBABA on your sheet.
Quote
  • try exploring one of the tunnels
  • say goodbye to Fax & continue your journey west
____________________

Keywords are a system used in the physical book to keep track of possible variables, like companions and passwords and such. I'll keep track of them in the first post with the rest of the inventory, for when or if they do arise.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:09:19 pm by lowlevelowl »

Offline Rysworld

  • Autoduel Mechanic
  • *****
  • Posts: 4219
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2013, 01:06:16 am »
Explore the tunnels- hopefully they're less dangerous than aboveground, and they might take us to where we need to go quicker.

Offline lowlevelowl

  • Phoenix Fighter
  • **
  • Posts: 172
    • View Profile
439
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2013, 01:10:29 am »
Out of curiousity, would you have any interest in a second gamebook thread? Just eyeballing this box of books sitting beside me and pondering. This forum is pretty quiet though, and I feel like two threads might be a little obnoxious if the interest isn't there.

__________________________

The tunnel echoes stonily with your footsteps. At the far end it widens into a long foyer with open doors at intervals along the opposite wall. You step through into a cylindrical chamber with a glass window at the end. The chamber is lined with seats. It takes you a moment before you realize you are inside a subway carriage. Fax watches from the door, wringing his hands in agitation, as you explore the carriage. The motilator, encased inside a brass cylinder at the front, senses your approach and activates, speaking in a chiming voice. "Please specify your required destination."

Questioning the motilator, you consult a map which it projects onto the front window of the carriage. The subway has an intercontinental range, but most of the terminuses are now either inactive or destroyed. Nonetheless there are several destinations which are still marked as in service, and any of them would bring you closer to your goal.

Quote
  • travel by subway
  • return to surface & journey on foot
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:13:01 am by lowlevelowl »

Offline Krakow Sam

  • Moderator
  • Dungeon Sieger
  • *****
  • Posts: 24485
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2013, 09:24:51 am »
Travel by subway, schlepping around on foot is a great way to get killed by mutants or something.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline eropS

  • Out Run Speedster
  • *****
  • Posts: 5137
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 10:36:35 am »
No way you never know what's in the dark.

Topside!
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Krakow Sam

  • Moderator
  • Dungeon Sieger
  • *****
  • Posts: 24485
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2013, 10:50:03 am »
Subway mutants are easily cowed by the miracle of fire. The surface worlders are too smart for that cheap party trick to work on them.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Rysworld

  • Autoduel Mechanic
  • *****
  • Posts: 4219
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2013, 01:06:22 pm »
Subway!

We will travel quicker in there.

Offline lowlevelowl

  • Phoenix Fighter
  • **
  • Posts: 172
    • View Profile
212
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 08:05:07 pm »
The motilator registers your destination by flashing a light on the map. A chime sounds, warning that the doors are about to close. Fax steps back and raises his hand to wave. You watch his lean figure recede along the platform as the carriage gathers speed. The lights of the station dwindle into the distance of the tunnel. You are on your way...where?
Quote
  • to Kahira
  • to Karthag
  • to Tarabul
  • to Giza
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:07:25 pm by lowlevelowl »

Offline Krakow Sam

  • Moderator
  • Dungeon Sieger
  • *****
  • Posts: 24485
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2013, 12:19:26 am »
Giza first! (the pyramid)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline lowlevelowl

  • Phoenix Fighter
  • **
  • Posts: 172
    • View Profile
74
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2013, 12:23:27 am »
The carriage gathers speed. You sit at the front and stare through the window at the darkness rushing by. Hours pass before you see the glimmer of lights along the tunnel. The carriage glides to a halt at a sleek station lit by dull red lights. You stand up, but the doors do not open. Instead the motilator gives a placid announcement. "We have arrived at a restricted area. We will now proceed to Maka, where you will be able to transfer to another vehicle for your journey onward. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Again the carriage picks up speed, this time for a journey of less than two hours. Arriving at another terminal, you wait to see what other destination the motilator will offer. On the map, only Tarabul continues to flash.

Quote
  • take the subway to Tarabul
  • disembark and see where you are

Offline Krakow Sam

  • Moderator
  • Dungeon Sieger
  • *****
  • Posts: 24485
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2013, 12:25:36 am »
Restricted area? Must be brimming with riches. Disembark men!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.