Author Topic: Heart of Ice  (Read 8030 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline lowlevelowl

  • Phoenix Fighter
  • **
  • Posts: 172
    • View Profile
118
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 06:29:14 pm »
You jump to your feet and scramble off through the undergrowth. The creature follows at a leisurely pace, squawking triumphantly from high in the branches. It claws its way effortlessly between the closely-spaced trunks, sometimes sailing out across clearings on the wide leathery kite of its body.

Quote
  • SURVIVAL
  • LORE
  • neither
____________________________________

Since we have both skills, we can choose to use either LORE or SURVIVAL.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:00:25 am by lowlevelowl »

Offline Rysworld

  • Autoduel Mechanic
  • *****
  • Posts: 4219
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 12:53:48 am »
Let's use LORE- hopefully this thing has some sort of weakness we can exploit specifically, rather than SURVIVAL which I imagine is just finding a good way to run or hide.

Offline lowlevelowl

  • Phoenix Fighter
  • **
  • Posts: 172
    • View Profile
140
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 01:00:04 am »
The creature that attacked you is a sanguivore, a mutant lizard with gliding and mimicking abilities. The sanguivore's saliva contains an anti-clotting agent, ensuring that its prey slowly bleeds to death even after escaping from it. That explains why it's in no hurry to catch up with you. It is content to track you through the woods and wait until you collapse from exhaustion. Well, you have a few resources not shared by any wild animal. Tearing the lining of your jacket into strips, you bind the wound to prevent further blood loss.
Quote
  • rest here
  • press on through the jungle
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:01:07 am by lowlevelowl »

Offline Rysworld

  • Autoduel Mechanic
  • *****
  • Posts: 4219
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 01:24:01 am »
Keep going. Apparently we don't know how good it is at tracking, and I'd prefer not to wait where it can easily find us.

Let's give this sanguivore a run for its money, eh?

Offline lowlevelowl

  • Phoenix Fighter
  • **
  • Posts: 172
    • View Profile
250
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 02:06:02 am »

Crashing through a thicket of glossy green fonds, you are brought up short by an astounding sight. A majestic ruined city spreads off into the jungle in front of you, seeming to shimmer in the haze of eternal tree-filtered sunlight. Some of the buildings have been choked by vegetation, grappled to destruction by cables of vine, walls uprooted by inexorable growth and carpeted with moss. But other towers still stand gleaming, bright glass and polished steel glorious in the dappled green-gold light. Those must be the buildings still cleaned and maintained by careteks, the diligent robot janitors left by the ancients.

You skirt the perimeter of the city, stumbling and staggering from sheer awe, like a blind man suddenly given the gift of vision. It can only be the remnants of old Marsay, the mythic place lost for two centuries. A bee as big as a child's fist goes careering cumbersomely past your ear, legs sprawling like a helicopter's skids, disappearing into a vast buzzing hive in the caves of a crumbled house. Birds sit pecking at lichen-stained girders, sparing you only a disdainful glance. You feel like an intruder here.

A barren patch of ground lies ahead, about fifty paces across, forming an avenue towards the intact area of the city.

Quote
  • follow the avenue
  • press on into the jungle
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:01:24 am by lowlevelowl »

Offline Rysworld

  • Autoduel Mechanic
  • *****
  • Posts: 4219
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 02:37:50 am »
Follow the avenue.

This is what the innkeeper was talking about!

He said there would be a tube leading straight where we needed to go in the ruins of Marsay, as I recall.

And it doesn't seem and harder to lose our tracker than in the jungle.

Offline lowlevelowl

  • Phoenix Fighter
  • **
  • Posts: 172
    • View Profile
271
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 02:46:42 am »
A man emerges from a low building and stands in a wary posture as he watches you approach. He licks his lips nervously and shifts his grip on the shovel he is holding, but your impression is that he is nervous rather than hostile. When you smile and hold out your hand, he relaxes with a shrug and tosses the shovel aside, introducing himself as Portrin Fax. He is a loose-limbed fellow, slender as a starved mantis, with fretfully pursed lips and wet blinking eyes.

His dwelling is paved with umber and grey tiles and shows signs of having once been a transit terminal of some kind. The air is cool. Panels along the side wall shed a brisk white light. The only items of furniture are rickety frameworks of wood with ragged furs stretched over them. Fax waves you to what he describes as a chair and pours drinks. You take the mug he offers, wincing at the powerful fumes. "My own liquor," he explains. "I brew it by mixing herbs into a tank of cleaning fluid."

You pour the drink away when he isn't looking. "You live alone here?"

He sits, folds his arms, only to leap up and stride around the room. Company clearly makes him nervous. "A hermit, that's old Fax," he says. "In the outside world I was a misfit, but here I live like the Sun King. The city has generators which supply light and keep the air cooled." He giggles. "Who would dream, in this time of the fimbulwinter, that a man might wish for a cool breath of air? But here in Lyonesse it is necessary."

Quote
  • LORE
  • otherwise
___________________

LORE is used.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:01:52 am by lowlevelowl »

Offline lowlevelowl

  • Phoenix Fighter
  • **
  • Posts: 172
    • View Profile
313
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 02:47:36 am »
Electric lighting is rare enough in this age, and is usually arranged by means of a coal or oil-fuelled generator. For there still to be electricity here, when Marsay has been abandoned for nearly two centuries, there must be a nuclear power source. Presumably such a power source would have to be regulated by computers, giving the possibility of a link to GAIA.

Quote
  • CYBERNETICS
  • otherwise
___________________

CYBERNETICS is used.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:01:54 am by lowlevelowl »

Offline lowlevelowl

  • Phoenix Fighter
  • **
  • Posts: 172
    • View Profile
335
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 02:48:18 am »
Although the computers monitoring and maintaining the power supply must still be functioning, it is obvious that they are not connected to GAIA. GAIA is too erratic to have kept up such a task for two centuries. However, if you can get access to the computers here in the city, you might be able to set up a link with GAIA.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:02:11 am by lowlevelowl »

Offline lowlevelowl

  • Phoenix Fighter
  • **
  • Posts: 172
    • View Profile
356
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 02:50:05 am »
Portrin Fax provides you with a makeshift couch and you drift gratefully off to sleep, bone-weary after your long trek through the steaming swamplands.

It seems only a moment later that he is shaking you awake. As you open your eyes, he jumps back and gives a jittery laugh. "Morning." he says.

You yawn and stretch. The air inside the building feels almost chill in comparison to the sweltering heat outside. "Morning? How can you tell?"

Fax points to a clock on the wall, above an archway leading to a staircase that descends underground. "There is one indicator. Also, although the sun never sets here, it does move across the sky. Indeed, at times I have thought to see two suns."

"No doubt the 'second sun' is an orbiting mirror, aligned so as to focus the sunlight in this region."
Quote
  • ask Fax to show you where he gets his food
  • ask about the barren patch of ground leading to his dwelling
  • leave now and press on westwards
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:56:28 am by lowlevelowl »

Offline Rysworld

  • Autoduel Mechanic
  • *****
  • Posts: 4219
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 03:13:49 am »
Ask about the barren patch.

It seems auspicious in such a glamourous place.

Offline lowlevelowl

  • Phoenix Fighter
  • **
  • Posts: 172
    • View Profile
399
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 03:19:46 am »
Instead of answering, he rummages in a locker and brings forth a metal canister. Taking this outside, he approaches a thin stalk of ferns sprouting from the ground beside the barren area and sprays it with a chemical. It almost instantly withers. "I found a storehouse full of the stuff." he cries gleefully, brandishing the canister. "It's well to keep the surrounding area free of plant life, you see. The sanguivores travel rapidly through the trees, but they will not venture onto barren ground, where they are as clumsy as waterlogged tents flapping in a breeze."

He presses the canister into your hand and urges you to keep it. You are on the point of commenting that the liquor he offered you is probably almost as toxic, but you decide not to offend him. Record the canister of vine killer among your possessions.

Quote
  • ask if he has any food
  • say goodbye and go on your way

Offline Rysworld

  • Autoduel Mechanic
  • *****
  • Posts: 4219
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 12:54:28 pm »
Ask about food. More food is always good.

Offline Krakow Sam

  • Moderator
  • Dungeon Sieger
  • *****
  • Posts: 24485
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Heart of Ice
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 12:55:56 pm »
Yeah he seems generous.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline lowlevelowl

  • Phoenix Fighter
  • **
  • Posts: 172
    • View Profile
378
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 01:23:05 pm »
Fax leads you down the stairway. At the bottom lies a wide circular hall with various tunnels leading off it. A sign above each tunnel proclaims the destinations available. You read them with a feeling of melancholy: New York, Moscow, Edinburgh...most of these places are now buried under a kilometre of ice.

Fax shows you a food machine set into the wall. "Most of the buttons no longer work, but the 'skudge bar' is nutritious. He presses a button, the machine hums, and a moment later a foil-wrapped block drops out of a slot. Unwrapping it, you find a chewy fudge which surprises you in having a savoury taste. You can stock up with as many of these as you wish, noting them as 'food packs' among your possessions; each counts as one item.

Quote
  • CYBERNETICS
  • explore the tunnels
  • bid Fax farewell and continue on your journey
___________________

Your inventory can hold up to 8 items at a time. One slot is already taken up by the canister of vine killer, though you may drop anything at any time to replace it for another item.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:02:22 am by lowlevelowl »