Author Topic: Star Trek XII: So very Tired  (Read 10214 times)

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek XII: So very Tired
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 07:44:17 am »
Transporting to the Klingon Homeworld from Earth?  Star Trek didn't achieve this power even in TNG... and Khan stole it from Scotty!  So Khan had his hands on the cryogenic-pods and could hide them inside other technology, but couldn't figure out how to just escape with them.  Even Wesley Crusher could have done it... why not the superior Khan?
A shuttle from the Neutral Zone to the Klingon homeworld?  This is as weak sauce as the Transporter b.s. above.  The distances from Earth to the Neutral Zone and from the Neutral Zone to the Klingon homeworld are both far beyond the range of a transporter and a shuttle.  If you could take a shuttle that far and that fast, then you wouldn't need starships... because you could map the entire quadrant in shuttles.

It's been pretty obvious since the 09 film that the NuUniverse isn't a divergence from the Prime universe from when Spock fell through the blackish holeish thing, we can't assume anything we know about stellar cartography of the Old Universe carries over in the LensFlareVerse. It was also pretty obvious in the 09 film that they were more advanced than the prime universe circa ToS and most of the Space Travel breaking stuff just confirms it.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 08:20:11 am »
Yeah in the first movie Spock basically gives Scotty a thirty year head-start on his transwarp beaming idea or something. That's why they can now transport to ships traveling at warp speed and complete other star systems.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 10:24:40 am »
Yeah because classic trek science is so much better.

"lets slingshot around the sun to attain the speed required to go back in time"

"Oh no Spock needs surgery, nurse hand me the electrolytic cream"

"Its simple captain, their power to warp reality is dependent on simple growth hormone, which is why the dwarf didn't have superpowers"

100% consistent (and definitely not repeatedly changed in later series)

Offline Person21

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 10:33:24 am »
Yeah in the first movie Spock basically gives Scotty a thirty year head-start on his transwarp beaming idea or something. That's why they can now transport to ships traveling at warp speed and complete other star systems.
And the NuConnie is certainly bigger than Prime version (anywhere from PrimeConnie-Refit to larger than a PrimeGalaxy because consistency is hard) and the NuVerse people apparently find it easy enough to move into space from the ground under the sea, while I' pretty sure the Intrepids were the first ships of a similar size to a PrimeConnie that the PrimeFeddies bothered giving the ability to land in an atmosphere and those were so cutting edge experimental that they had a computer made from semen.
And while we're at it the cutting in 09 suggested that NuWarp is a lot fast than PrimeWarp.
Pretty much everything seems to point to the NuFeddies being more advanced than the PrimeFeddies even before Spock's interference. Except miniaturisation, NuStarfleet loves being big.

Illogical rationalization attempting to support muggle screenwriting: it is the Kessel Run all over again.  :P
What's Illogical about concluding that one group are more technologically advanced than another group from a different universe because they seem to be able to do more things with their tech?
And saying that you're wrong isn't the same as "supporting" someone you were criticising.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 10:37:56 am »
Yeah, I can put up with a lot of bad science if they make it worth my while.

I can't put up with a second act that boils down to a worse version of Wrath of Khan.

Honestly, it would have been better if they'd dropped the twist and just focused on the Klingon situation.  Have John Harrison just be an extremist who wants to drag the Federation into war because he sees it as inevitable and wants first strike.  Playing on Kirk's impulsiveness by comparing the two would have made the villain miles more interesting, providing the sort of connection that this Khan was sorely lacking.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Person21

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 10:43:14 am »
I can't put up with a second act that boils down to a worse version of Wrath of Khan.

But it was a Reference Neo! Market research tells me you nerds love pointless references because it makes you feel clever for getting them!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 12:27:37 pm »
Yeah second act was donkey turds.

Though it was enjoyable watching Benedict Cumberbatch crush skulls with his bare hands.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 03:52:09 pm »
It was a movie that entertained me and so I personally like it.