Author Topic: Star Trek XII: So very Tired  (Read 10480 times)

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
Star Trek XII: So very Tired
« on: June 09, 2013, 03:06:36 am »
Ok they made it to the 12th one, wondering if anyone has seen it yet? I saw it the other night and have to say I really really enjoyed it with out going to deep into spoilers I seriously enjoyed all the references and homages to wrath of kahn. left in spoiler tags because in to darkness is a whole plot reference to it.

It's been a while since I really was much into Star Trek it's not like the franchise has been to active mostly just the MMO and I never got round to that. Still both movies have been pretty solid to me.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek XII: So very Tired
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 05:38:10 am »
I loved the first Abrams Trek. Into Darkness was acceptable but I just felt the whole way through that it could have been so much better. While the villain is really cool and the plot is sort of interesting, I don't think it really takes many risks, and the whole reverse Spock/Kirk scene was just transparent fan pandering. Particularly when Spock yells "KHAAAAAAAAAAN!!!", which really came across more funny than dramatic. Also that entire scene was totally robbed of any impact because we all knew Kirk was going to be miraculously brought back by Khan's special plot blood.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 08:06:25 am »
Well, is there any way for them to have made it look like Kirk was going to die that would have had impact?  He's the main character in what I'm sure will be a continuing franchise.  You can't kill off Kirk.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 08:59:46 am »
except for that movie where they did kill off kirk

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 11:33:52 am »

I don't think you need spoiler tags for that one. :P
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 02:00:07 pm »
I really liked it. I've never actually seen all of ST2, so I was aware enough of the fan service to enjoy it without it being too stale.

I also saw it in imax 3d, though, and that tends to make movies seem even better than they actually are.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 07:03:39 am »

I don't think you need spoiler tags for that one. :P

It was more for the fact that be spoiling that means I gave away whats under the spoiler tags of relating to in to darkness so for those who were avoiding into darkness spoilers i put them there.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 10:06:19 am »
The fanservice made me real happy. Overall, it was a bit on the actiony side for Star Trek (like the 2009 one) but still a really awesome movie. Plus there was Cumberbatch and he's great, so, yeah. 7.5/10.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 10:54:09 pm »
Har har. References and red shirt jokes.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 11:21:05 pm »
So I saw this three times. It was good each time. But the harks back to STII were really heavy-handed and could have been done without, or done better. The effects were jaw-dropping. The cinematography was great as always, it's just little bits of the script and storyline that had issues.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 07:20:33 am »
ChiToes, your gripes are all valid, but keep in mind that they're just supposed to be dumb, fun, action movies and on that point they deliver.

Don't forget the MST3K Maxim.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 07:48:38 am »
ChiToes, your gripes are all valid, but keep in mind that they're just supposed to be dumb, fun, action movies and on that point they deliver.
Actually, I'd say that's the biggest problem with the movie.

Dumb action movie is about as far from the spirit that Star Trek was made in as you can get.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 08:48:06 am »
Actually, I'd say that's the biggest problem with the movie.

Dumb action movie is about as far from the spirit that Star Trek was made in as you can get.

Well, of course, yes. But it's gonna be a while until we see any legitimate new entry in the Star Trek franchise (hopefully as a TV show, as that's the format it works best in). So, for now, the characters from the original are being used in an action context. It's not what was, but it's certainly a nod to it and I think that's alright.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 11:33:12 pm »
It's not the Star Trek we used to have but even with the inconsistencies with the prime universe they hold up as stand alone movies and are good action movies. In any case the TV series gave us threshold and most of Enterprise for all your betrayal needs.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 04:06:37 am »
Also Neelix. Just, everything Neelix has ever been involved in.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.