Author Topic: Space Station 13  (Read 10012 times)

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
Space Station 13
« on: May 29, 2013, 06:09:24 am »

Space Station 13 is a science fiction roleplaying game where you are a crewmember on an advanced research space station where various disasters take place. It is a very detailed simulation where the various subsystems of the station can interact to produce fun situations. You start the game as one of dozens of of specific station crew, like engineer, miner, security officer, cook, and scientist. You attempt to perform your duty as various disasters afflict the station, such as meteor strikes, alien invasion, or rogue AI. Crew members can also start as traitors, who must use their station job to accomplish certain sabotage tasks and escape alive.

For example, I could start as atmospherics technician, whose job it is to maintain a breathable atmosphere on the station. I turn out to be a traitor, whose job it is to kill the Head of Security. As atmospherics technician, I have access to the Security atmospherics station and all their maintenance tunnels. I could flood the security wing with anesthetics, knocking out all security personnel.  Then I could hack my way into security via a maintenance tunnel, while wearing a gas mask, find the head of security, and casually strip him throw him out an airlock. Since all of this would naturally implicate me as the traitor, I would be obliged to further wreck the station to force the call of the Emergency shuttle, in order to escape the station on the shuttle or on an escape pod, before security could get its act together and find me. If I successfully do all of this, I will be a successful traitor.

If all of this interests you, here is how you get into the game.

First, you need to sign up for and download BYOND, the engine the game uses. Link.

Then, you merely need to find a server that you can play on. BYOND has a server listing for Space Station 13 that you can select from, however they vary wildly in quality. You copy and paste the URL of the server into the BYOND client. All the game files are then automatically downloaded for you from the server.

/tg/station is a quality one, when it's working.

Here is a direct link to /tg/'s Temporary station. Which is in use while the other servers get fixed. This will be shut off by the end of the month.

Finally, you want to learn how to play the game. The wiki site has a lot of information about the game in general, however every server is slightly different, since they all maintain their own branch of code. That wiki is mainly for the /tg/station branch of the game. This goonwiki contains much of the same information, as well as specifics to the Goonstation branch of the code.

Before you enter a game, take a moment to customize your character and your job preferences. This lets you carefully explore the same role over multiple games, and lets you avoid some complicated roles that you may be inexperienced with for some time. Also, it allows you to turn on and off the possibility that you turn out to be a traitor or other disaster role. You may want to avoid those roles until you have enough experience with the roles to be an effective saboteur.

Have fun, and I'll see you around the station! :)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:12:21 am by Mr. Wizard »

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: Space Station 13
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:18:14 am »
this game is pretty great, it has that sort of dorf fortress complexity to it so its almost designed to create stories of 'that one game you had'
except its multiplayer, so a lot of crazy things usually happen at once making almost every game really chaotic.

http://i.imgur.com/POoKArA.jpg
also this is what got me interested when i first started playing

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:22:12 am »
It should be noted that the tg-station code branch does not have butt-bots, the ability to cut off butts, or poop.

It does however have a cultist game mode and two maps which are both better than Goonstation.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 10:10:27 am »
You should play with me some time.

My space station is better. It's 9000.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 02:03:34 pm »
My god. Such a wonderful wiki. This game seems awesome.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 02:04:22 pm »
Woah, this game seems goddamn spectacular.

I'll have to play this sometime.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 11:00:25 pm »
I tried giving this game a go and had no idea what was going on. I'll have to read the wiki some more.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 05:38:34 am »
It won't help.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 09:25:11 am »
Yeah the wiki is more of a reference than an actual exhaustive guide. Best bet is to bug Celdur  until he explains how it works.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 10:14:01 am »
i found **** out on my own too, its not too hard.

just go to the starter guide on the wiki, and follow that. it explains the game and the pretty awkward controls
then, when you're assigned an actual job, just look up that job on the wiki and it explains everything you need to know.
thats how i went though pretty much every job on the station. dont pick any leader rolls until you know what the **** you're doing though.

and if you dont feel like learning all this autistic ****, just become a mime or clown or librarian or whatever, and go **** with the autistic people that try to keep the station from not exploding.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:28:20 am by Celdur »

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 10:20:05 am »
Celdur: Human?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 10:33:19 am »
Negative sir he is a meat popsicle.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 04:57:16 pm »
Used to play this all time, love it.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 07:32:46 pm »
Tried to get into this, can't get into this. Tried /tg/'s and observed some baystation. In theory it sounds awesome, in practice, with people, not so much.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 08:38:47 pm »
I'm interested after reading about it a bit....I shall probably look into it further.