Author Topic: The Lesbian Pulp RP OoC  (Read 13291 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: The Lesbian Pulp RP OoC
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 10:38:55 am »
Pat was a bit more vague in his description of the setting than I realised at first.

What we had discussed was more like Johnny Quest/Venture Bros. Also its a collaborative thing so maybe all of YOU could come up with some details for the setting?  ;)

Also as for the conflict resolution thing erops was talking about. It would also be possible to resolve it through community vote, but that takes a while, requires more engagement from everyone playing, and is also very open to politics (things ALWAYS get ugly when you ask people to choose which one of their friends is right in an arbitrary situation). So you get a benevolent dictator (me!) to resolve conflict.

I will be as active in driving events as I need to be. If everyone ends up creating a story and conflict together then I will only be needed to resolve inter-player conflicts. If the players aren't pro-active I will make sure they land in the ****.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 10:43:31 am »
I definitely agree with the sentiment that players should be driving things.

Don't be shy! Come up with ideas. Try things out. Shoot... even if you happen to write something that is objectively bad and everyone hates it, you can just delete or and try again. We're all friends here so there's no reason to worry. So start coming up with ideas! Really!!

What do you want to see? Tell us!! Have you been having a recurring dream lately? Maybe incorporating that will help you get past it. That's what I do and it works well. Use anything and everything you've got at your disposal to make story elements.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 12:08:07 pm »
I'm dry on ideas right now, but i'm willing to play. Ill be a bit of a slower paced poster though, at least compared to what I used to be.

Adult hood and too many hobbies with too little time >_<

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 04:17:56 pm »
What the heck. I'll try. Every other RP I've been in died before I could really get going (the first "I'm Going into the Story" notwithstanding).

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 09:09:52 pm »
THAT is an interesting idea... I like that a lot.
I second this actually, I've always been a guy to end up letting my characters die to add to the story.

Again, likewise.  Regardless, my internet access is dodgy at the moment but I am definetly game for this.  I'm very excited to see what happens.  As far as setting ideas go, the fact that you've mentioned Johnny Quest and Venture Bros leads me to the thought that our setting doesn't need to be set in stone.  Another similar example would be the show Archer, which had aesthetics and technology from the 60s in play, while also mucking about with things like GPS and robots.

The point here is to make an interesting story, and if we need to have a little bit of anachronisms along the way than so be it.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 10:51:55 pm »
Well, now that I've wrapped things up, I can spare a moment for this.

The Venture Bros comments have put me in a satirical mood, feel free to call me on it if this doesn't strike the right chord.

Name:  Jonathan Dai

Bio:  Jonathan Dai, world famous detective and all around genius.  Or, at least, that's what it says on his card.  In all honesty, he just does the leg work for the motorcycle.

When Jonathan learned that Laurence Dai, his brilliant and renowned inventor uncle, had died and left him something in the will, he'd expected a stack of patent money, or one of the many Dai estates, or even, hope beyond hope, ownership of the Dai Foundation.  What he'd gotten was a motorcycle, which had still seemed pretty sweet right up until the damned thing started talking.  A recording had revealed that his uncle thought he had untapped potential, and that the bike was his greatest work but as yet not prepared for the world, and that he hoped they would work together to blah blah blah shut up!

Now he's stuck with a snarky, condescending, hyper intelligent chopper that won't leave him alone and insists on sticking it's headlights where they don't belong.  Still, could be worse.  A case or two a month and he's got money in hand and women on his arms.  If an annoying ride is the price he has to pay, so be it.  It's not like he's going to get dragged into anything that bad, right?

Abilities:
  • MIC:  The Motorized Intelligent Computer, or MIC, is Dr. Laurence Dai's finest creation, a revolutionary AI crammed into the space of a human brain with several dozen times the processing power.  If it had been granted any kind of autonomy it probably would have changed the world, but for some reason it's creator thought it needed to learn life lessons and so shoved it into a gas guzzling roadster to go cavorting with some idiot nephew.  Who it's been hardwired to follow and protect.  It's definitely not bitter and using sleuthing as a cover for discovering a way to escape.  Nope, not at all.
    MIC is super smart, super perceptive, and you'd better believe super fast.
  • Would I lie to you?:  While MIC would like to disparage its reluctant partner about every aspect of his repugnant being, even it has to admit that Jonathan has a silver tongue.  He's managed to keep their charade up for years with no one being the wiser and can talk his way out of just about anything.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 12:18:21 am »
Neo did you ever see that Heat Vision and Jack pilot with Owen Wilson, Jack Black and veteran character actor Ron Silver?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 08:45:10 am »
Hahahahah that makes me want to watch Warrior of the Lost World again. :P

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGUcypHL--s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGUcypHL--s</a>

I like your character, Neo. If you guys feel comfortable, start rolling out characters! Also, we need a basic outline for our world. What kinda place should we be playing in?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 02:20:09 pm »
Name: Anton Night

Bio: Anton grew up in one of those slow prairie towns that only ever makes the news when the refinery goes up or someone mixes a bad batch of Kool-Aid. And when both the former and latter happened (taking his parents along for the ride) Anton found himself alone and in the hospital. He remained there in his bed for over a decade doing a whole lot of nothing while doctors mended his broken body. Later on Anton would call this period of time "the dark years". Nonetheless, he came out of that turbulent phase having learned a great deal about the world from his TV. And with his back, arms, and legs in working order thanks to a miraculous muscle-growth treatment, things began to get a bit better for Anton.

Currently Anton spends his days working as a used car salesman. He loves his job and the sports car he was able to pick up at-cost. Anton puts very little thought toward his future and isn't really a fan of saving, planning, or doing things in measured increments. He wants to live and he wants to live now. Fortunately for Anton he has both the means and the ability to do so. While not rich by any stretch, with no family to take care of and only himself to worry about, Anton has a great deal of freedom to act.

Abilities:
  • Mixology: Anton can mix a mean drink. Really, he's a superb bartender and will often moonlight as one if his spending habits happen outpace his earning habits. And honestly, how could you not become a great bartender when you do it almost every single night?
  • No pain, no pain: Thanks to Anton's medicinally-induced rehabilitation, his body has become very tolerant to pain and wear. He is able to do things that many would find painful or tiresome and repeated actions and toil do little to chip away at Anton's treated joints and bone. While by no means super, Anton can shrug off quite a lot of hurt. Exceptions include getting shot, stabbed, crushed, and all those other things that usually kill normal people. But it allows Anton to push himself further than people that have no concept of the pain he has felt. Inhibitions, after all, are something that Anton just doesn't have time for.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 03:37:51 pm »
Ill wait for everyone else to post one, I don't have a real grip on the setting yet, never seen venture bro or johnny quest.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 06:36:48 am »
I'm kind of in the same boat. So perhaps someone can elaborate on the setting a bit?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 02:35:04 pm »
Well... I want to see a setting that is very earth-like but isn't necessarily earth. So, you know... like, maybe big places are the same to keep a sort of anchor. But anything smaller than a city would be entirely fiction. So our characters can mess around in PodunkVille or whatever but when they need to go to New York City to see something, they go to New York City. I feel like this is reflective of shows like The Venture Bros. and Johnny Quest.

As well, while I really am not too into seeing magic, magic is not a no-no in the world I envision. Sam and Neo and I were shooting the breeze and one of them mentioned something about having magic and super abilities but for some inexplicable reason that we don't need to explain, nobody ever says anything about it or points it out as odd. It's just a thing and nobody really bats an eye unless the subway car they're in just got picked up by a dinosaur.

That's what I see in my mind. What about you guys? Also what are our limits? Do we have any?

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 06:10:02 pm »
Okay, so it's "Earth." But where chronologically do we place this "Earth?" For some reason I was envisioning a not-too-distant-future kind of setting. So we could have things like robots and holographics, but not things like teleporters or blasters/phasers/light guns. Or somethings like that.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 07:21:24 pm »
Well, since it's Venture Bros and Johny quest, it lives in the future of the 80's.  Which means it takes place slightly in the past, but has some nifty technology that people thought was coming but turned out to be unrealistic.  It may also lack some things that actually occurred.

Communicator watches?  Hell yes, but cell phones are just silly.  Robots?  Sure, why not, but the internet is a crazy pipe dream that only works between universities.  Voice command systems are easy and intuitive, but touch screens aren't a thing.

Oh, and hacking a computer involves an impressive graphical interface.

At least, that's my take on it.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 07:38:21 pm »
Exactly.  Sorta like I said in the example I gave earlier regarding Archer.  It's the 60s asthetic, with technologies that might not make complete sense for the time period.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net