Author Topic: Battlefield Earth  (Read 6522 times)

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield Earth
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 07:51:06 pm »
I read that story, and it is a good story IMHO, but as Science Fiction goes, it does not touch on the true enormity of cosmic events presented in its pages. Still, it has a good "hero's journey" in it. Just remember not to take the concepts to literally, as Hubbard injected a lot of his philosophy into the book.

IMO, good Science Fiction isn't about the technology or future circumstance, but the philosophical questions and paradox a technologically advanced civilization must deal with. Ray Bradbury (The Illustrated Man, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Fahrenheit 451), Larry Niven (Ringworld, The Ringworld Engineers, Tales of Known Space), Arthur C. Clarke (2001: A Space Odyssey, => 3001: The Final Odyssey) Isaac Asimov(Bicentenial Man; I, Robot) Robert A. Heinlein (Starship Troopers, Stranger in a Strange Land) are all authors that I think fall into this category.

EDIT: For Clarification.

EDIT: Forgot about Orson Scott Card. ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 07:57:29 pm by Mr_Wizard »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 07:37:16 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKZYFn8qEQI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKZYFn8qEQI</a>

:3

Also I miss Lord Janos.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 01:01:21 pm »
I read that story, and it is a good story IMHO, but as Science Fiction goes, it does not touch on the true enormity of cosmic events presented in its pages. Still, it has a good "hero's journey" in it. Just remember not to take the concepts to literally, as Hubbard injected a lot of his philosophy into the book.

IMO, good Science Fiction isn't about the technology or future circumstance, but the philosophical questions and paradox a technologically advanced civilization must deal with. Ray Bradbury (The Illustrated Man, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Fahrenheit 451), Larry Niven (Ringworld, The Ringworld Engineers, Tales of Known Space), Arthur C. Clarke (2001: A Space Odyssey, => 3001: The Final Odyssey) Isaac Asimov(Bicentenial Man; I, Robot) Robert A. Heinlein (Starship Troopers, Stranger in a Strange Land) are all authors that I think fall into this category.

EDIT: For Clarification.

EDIT: Forgot about Orson Scott Card. ;)
Go eat a bag of used feminine hygiene products you insufferably pretentious nitwit. Go get a job and stop pretending you're intelligent.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 03:48:07 pm »
Iunno man you were sort of right?

Dune is probably the best scifi I've ever read and it's all just philosophical hoodoo for the most part.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.