Author Topic: Ubergeekdom is dead, long live 'Media' or something related..  (Read 9258 times)

Online eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Ubergeekdom is dead, long live 'Media' or something related..
« on: February 12, 2013, 01:52:21 pm »
Over the years I've noticed that the bottom of the forum receives little love. This could be due to the content within,  its placement at the bottom of the forum,  or a lack of interest from those of us who are still active.

Either way,  something should change it's been like that way to long.

I suggest simply removing Ubergeekdom and consolidating the posts within into a single board similar to PC Games. It could be placed right under 'Everything Else', be named Media/Non game entertainment,  and all new post within can simply [Film] [Music] [TV] [Art] their titles to provide easy navigation.

Now,  I know the older topics will remain untagged unless the OP edits it,  but I personally have no problem with that since there are few enough topics as it is and a simple foray into the topic will reveal the content soon enough.

Can this be done?  What do you think mods?

No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Ubergeekdom is dead, long live 'Media' or something related..
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 02:25:01 pm »
*checks watch*

You're like, three years too late. >_>

Besides, after all the trouble we went through to get the Art board made in the first place, why should we go through a bunch of trouble again to get it removed? But yeah, it could be done. But should it? Meh... it's a lot of work to accomplish something that isn't really necessary anymore. I mean, the forum is pretty much holding firm with the core group of members. We all know the score. So a couple of forum sections are dead?

At least new movies come out every few weeks and there is an occasional post or topic. If we're going to nuke forum sections due to inactivity, why not Spore? ;D

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 02:26:39 pm »
Better idea: How can we spur life in these seemingly-dead sections of the forum?

I know I've tried a few things in the Console and PC sections, with varying levels of success. Do you have any thoughts about how to bring more people to the Uberkeekdom section?

Online eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 02:40:02 pm »
Moving it somewhere more visible. I rarely treck my screen past forum games.

I was also thinking about a 3 way switch. Take Spore and move it to the bottom,  move video games where spore was,  and put ubergeekdom where video games is now
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 02:51:15 pm »
You're assuming that everyone browses the forums in the same way you do.  I just click on "Show unread posts since last visit," so I see stuff no matter which section it's in.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 02:58:10 pm »
That's a good point, as well.

I know that personally, I've had the Spore section collapsed since... uh... like, 2006. Not sure why I keep Ubergeekdom around. I think it's for the art thread that gets bumped from time to time.

Online eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 03:23:56 pm »
You're assuming that everyone browses the forums in the same way you do.  I just click on "Show unread posts since last visit," so I see stuff no matter which section it's in.

What's the difference to you, then?

Idk, these are just suggestions to try to spur some life in our non-gaming media discussion.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 03:31:50 pm »
I myself don't use the "unread since last visit" function. I prefer to see where new posts have been made by the indicators to the left of the subforums.

Offline Gec

• Defender Devotee
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 04:35:36 pm »
I still like to use the art board from time to time. It's crazy busy on my end and I can't do much loafing these days, but I post art when I get the chance.

I would like to see DYP pick up again. I miss doing all the random things we did.

Online eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 05:11:55 pm »
Well, I can tell you if you moved Ubergeekdom up I would at least feel more inclined to post there since I feel it would be more visible to everyone in the forum.

Offline Gec

• Defender Devotee
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 05:53:30 pm »
Scrolling the mouse wheel down is too much exercise for you? I understand.

Online eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 05:58:35 pm »
It's not that at all, it's how others go through the site. Don't get smart with me for pointing out things that I see as problems.

I feel it would be more visible to everyone in the forum.

You think if 'Everything Else' was under 'Music' it would be nearly as active?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:00:15 pm by eropS »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 06:42:27 pm »
Probably... >_>

If you move the forum people are just gonna scroll past that and go to the place where people are posting. Again, just like the RP topic we're talking in, it comes down to US doing something. Changing forums around, combining things, shifting this and that... it's not gonna do anything if all the content-creators are still only creating content in the usual places. If you want to see something change, you need to make it happen.

When you provide interesting content, the viewers will come.

Online eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 07:25:42 pm »
Yeah, I think Everything Else was populated as it was due to its placement in the first place. People began to discuss whats new in the off topic or other everything else posts. The way I see it success built success and the dedicated pop culture section was left behind because short quips in everything else were easier and more pervasive due to the level of traffic it had. I'll be trying to add more but I feel as if its like throwing a pebble into a well since the traffic down there is so much more inconsistent than elsewhere.

Offline Gec

• Defender Devotee
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 09:25:56 pm »
I do think a few rearrangements are fine and good.

My only concern is, this forum is owned and operated by a ghost of an admin. Can we at least get a co-admin first?