Author Topic: Being Human  (Read 2275 times)

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Being Human
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:51:22 pm »
This god damn show is so good. Scifi really just has created[stolen](Thanks UK!) one of the best freaking dramas I have ever had the pleasure to watch. Seriously, this show's ****ing awesome!

Ok so here's the deal:

Vampires exist, they can walk in sunlight and do whatever, they can only be killed by a stake through the heart. They also have a society and set of vampire rules (because why wouldn't they!) that is enforced by 'royals'. If you've played and enjoyed Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodines, then this is just right up in that style of vampire culture. (side note: Bloodlines is on steam, if you have time for a new game check that one out and download the unofficial patch. Anyway, if a dark seedy interesting vampire world doesn't already have you going 'Damn, sounds like it's worth a look' then hold on.

Cause there's werewolves. Werewolves can only turn on the full moon, and they have no/limited control of themselves when in that state. Werewolf culture's more hit and miss, as you would expect they are often either loners or travel in packs with no governing body because they're werewolves why would they? They can only be killed by silver wounds. Now I know, werewolves and vampires? Twilight, weak man no way it's good. No, these are dark, murderous f***ing beast that can only come out once a month. Some hate who they are some revel in it, and there's conflict there later. If you're not interested yet, there's more hang on.

Ghosts. Yuuuuuuuuuuuup. There's ghosts, too. Not your weak, blurry/colorless do nothing ghosts. We're talking full color, possessing, life destroying, haunting, moving tangible stuff, ghosts searching to resolve their burdens. Ghosts want to find their 'door' to the afterlife, but it won't be shown to them until their mortal reservations are solved, kind of a catch-22 you're screwed type thing since they can hardly interact with their people from their past.

Now, of course as expected, the show takes one of each of these supernatural beings and puts them all in a house together for the reason of:

Aidan the vampire wants to be free of the chains of vampire society, choosing instead to try to find more to his life and maintain his humanity. Aidan's a badass, fun to watch, has some great story arcs and shows real development as seasons go on. He's cool, his backstory is cool, and the show does a good job balancing his cool with flaws that you won't notice until other characters do and subsequently point them out for you to go 'Oh hey he did/does do that'.

Josh the werewolf hates that he is a werewolf and keeps himself contained once a month. He was turned 3 years ago, and the general deal is that he completely cut contact with his past life since he found out about his curse. He's a softie, but also interesting to watch because of all the crazy **** that he ends up having to deal with. It's really good and he ends up really coming into his own later in the seasons as he begins to man up and take control. Seriously, season 2 had one of the best bombshells involving this character that I might have ever seen on television. This show is just awesome.

Sally the ghost was murdered by her boyfriend and haunts the house the two boys move together in. Since they're supernatural they can see and talk to her and there's your show. She doesn't really get being a ghost but slowly beings to learn how and what she can do. She starts off slow, but as it goes she becomes more and more interesting simply because the show just keeps the suprises with her coming. Her life is just one drama bomb after the next and season 2 and 3 she starts going through some seriously crazy things that are so much fun to watch. She too, develops leaps and bounds as she deals with one event to the next (there are happy times though, but when it rains it pours).

As the female lead she her character is pretty independent for the most part which is refreshing as it allows the show to manage 3 independent story arcs yet any character can intervene in anothers arc. It's very well done.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure it's on Netflix. Syfy Mondays at 9. This show is good.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:58:20 pm by eropS »

No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Online Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Re: Being Human
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 03:35:02 pm »
Yay, it's on Netflix. I was running out of television shows to marathon through.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 05:07:44 pm »
I have watched this show since it began on Syfy channel. I like it a lot. Note I do not like Twilight or those other types of shows/movies. Though I did like the other vampire show on syfy called Moonlight. However it quickly got canceled and I think this is a better show anyways.

I also remember back a few Halloweens ago they had Meaghan Rath go around with the TAPS team to investigate some haunted location along with other Syfy celebrities. However the show had not aired yet so I had no idea who she was at the time.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8JSgDVQSnw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8JSgDVQSnw</a>

Likewise recently on Tabletop you can see Samuel Witwer play a game with Wil Wheaton. So yeah he seems like a cool guy. Even has some nerd cred with all the RPGs he has done over the years. Guess it makes you a better actor.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:12:33 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 05:34:10 pm »
Did you watch the most recent episode?

Dude, Josh finally grew a pair of massive balls.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 03:01:21 am »
Yeah.

I like the "bubble boy". I wonder if he will become a vampire.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 08:46:50 am »
I am also a fan of his, but Henry is right people close to Aidan die and I feel like vampirism would be a death sentence by the shows standards. Plus who will they eat? 

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 12:49:04 am »
Other bubble boys?  ;)

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 03:34:37 am »
I've been watching this since Series 1 of the BBC version. What drew me the most was the fact it was set in my home city, until they moved to Wales.

They're now on their fifth (and, sadly, final) series, and the main cast has been overhauled. But try and catch it if you can.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 09:13:51 am »
UK version is better. Stop the presses!
No way dude, you're trolling me.