Author Topic: Star Citizen:Squadron 42  (Read 19193 times)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Citizen:Squadron 42
« Reply #270 on: April 29, 2017, 09:58:33 pm »
"Star Citizen: The Best Cargo Ships Under $60"

And he says that's the entry level stuff.  I guess this is a game mechanic I still don't quite get, I may have brought it up before.  You have to buy each ship with actual money?
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #271 on: April 29, 2017, 10:14:13 pm »
No not at all. Right now if you're giving money to Star Citizen, the straight dope from the developer is that you're funding development and here's a ship so you have something for your money. Ship sales for real money will stop as soon as development is over and the game is out, at least that's what we've been told so far. They haven't really lied much, but then again this is a major revenue stream so we'll see how it goes when they actually cross that bridge.

When the game comes out (if my memory serves) it will take five to ten hours of gameplay doing jobs or whatever to afford an entry level ship and hull insurance.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 29, 2017, 10:24:21 pm »
So once the game comes out you can either earn or buy ships?  Would that make it like Eve's ship system?  I don't actually have any idea how Eve does it, I just know people dump tons of real money into it.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #273 on: April 29, 2017, 10:40:07 pm »
You can earn/buy ships with in-game currency once the game is released. If your ship is destroyed, you'll get it back providing you have insurance for it. No insurance means you gotta buy the ship again.

The cash shop for ships is supposed to close once the game is out. I imagine they'll find other ways to get cash from us though. The ship insurance is definitely one angle; however, ship insurance is supposedly very cheap for three, six, or twelve month spans and can be paid for with in-game currency.

A lot of this is up in the air. They're giving it a good effort though, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. The alpha so far is very impressive. Once 3.0 drops in June.

This is what you wanna check for a brief update on most things: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #275 on: May 13, 2017, 08:41:33 am »
The article lays out no proof of any of that, it just says what it says.

And have you been keeping up with this topic? This is two month old news repackaged with a clickbait title. They've begun posting exhaustive schedules and have posted internal development updates every week for years now.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 15, 2017, 10:23:29 am »
I do not think one can consider it a scam when most of the money is going in to development of a game. :P

Like I have said before. If this is a scam is the worst scam ever as they should have taken the money they got and ran a long time ago. It is a bit like the whole moon landing conspiracy. Some people actually thing that the government spent sooooo much money on the whole cover-up that it would actually just be as easy to actually go to the moon.

But I guess the hundreds of people working on this are just computer generated or something >_>

(That is not to say this can not fail. But so can any project. Though at least this have already released a fair bit of stuff. :P)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2017, 03:25:35 am »
Oh no Yokto you see, that's the genius of the scam.

They're running it for the benefit of hundreds of unemployed game developers. You get lots of money through kickstarter and then you use it to pay people's wages while they work on a fake scam game. Then if you end up releasing the game you sell it for cash money and you use that to pay more unemployed devs to make even MORE scam games. For bonus points, if your fake game gets good reviews and people like it then next time you start making a scam game even more people will buy it. It's criminal genius.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:18:08 am by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 16, 2017, 04:59:07 am »
More like you make a real game for 20% of the kickstarter money and spend the rest on alimony.

Except you're so incompetent you spent most of what you actually were going to use on the game on celebrity voice actors so you have to sell in-game microtransactions for a game that isn't out. You need more money, so you set up a recruitment program to try and get kickstarter donors to recruit their friends into your "give-me-money" club even though it was always impossible for you to make a game for the amount of money you actually asked for on kickstarter so you've been a fraud since day one.

There's a lot of effort dedicated to marketing and recruitment for people to donate money and "support development" for a game that is unlikely to ever be finished and will NEVER achieve a wide-audience success even if it is. Who are they kidding if they think they can launch this at all and have people buy into afterwards? They hit critical mass a long time ago: Everyone who would ever buy this is already Patman. They're not going to be stupid enough to turn off the ship-sales money valve no matter what they promise.

At least No Man's Sky didn't have all this kickstarter nonsense.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 16, 2017, 01:37:21 pm »
Do it have to reach a wide audience?
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 16, 2017, 02:26:43 pm »
Wasn't the point that hobbiest would fund the project BECAUSE it couldn't reach a wider audience?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:28:43 pm by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2017, 03:04:31 pm »
Yeah I think that was the point.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2017, 04:52:19 pm »
And then the same morons that complain about AAA games being too formulaic start trying to apply AAA development conventions to this game.