Author Topic: Star Citizen:Squadron 42  (Read 19246 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Star Citizen:Squadron 42
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2015, 03:08:26 pm »
Star Marine update

Looks like the FPS module is coming along nicely. Slow and steady.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2015, 03:26:26 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xSOzEWsHOs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xSOzEWsHOs</a>

Yo everyone get in here! All of you.

Multi-crew is finally working well.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2015, 01:52:53 pm »
What are the implications of this feature?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2015, 04:51:32 pm »
While the animations are still janky (they are working on it but the base-level stuff is more a focus) this demo represents the first time all of the core components of Star Citizen have worked together in a single demo. All of the objects you see are occurring in the same space in real time. You have ships moving around the station, the station moving around the system, there are people walking around the station and the ships, and it all works without assets warping to position as they sync. Everything works more or less seamlessly, which is a really big achievement.

It means that the core idea of Star Citizen is feasible with our technology, which was a major uncertainty for a lot of people.

That was always going to be the biggest challenge Star Citizen faced. How do you build a "persistent universe" in which thousands of users are simultaneously jetting around or walking around, or walking around on something that is jetting around, all while also keeping track of all the other objects and making sure things are stuttery and warpy. It all works in sync! It's pretty awesome. :D

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2015, 09:30:37 am »
Yeah it seems like they have solved all the biggest hurdles now and is likely that production pace will go up. Polish Polish Polish. Content Content Content.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2015, 10:18:23 am »
I guess that was a big misconception a lot of people have had about this project from the start.

The underlying programming and technology needed to support Star Citizen didn't exist when the project started. It wasn't just as simple as taking the design of EVE or some MMO and trying to retrofit it. Other games in those genres can't do what Chris Roberts envisioned. So a large part of the fundraising was to build the necessary structure from the ground up around CryEngine. It's also why this project is taking as long as it is. And to be fair, while the SC team has missed some deadlines, the final date was always 2016 with the potential to be 2017 and that was known from the start.

That's why I never let the cries of "vaporware" or "scam" bother me too much. And it's looking fabulous! Like Yokto said, they've got over several large hurdles and have a working prototype of the Persistent Universe. That's huge! It's the first of its kind on this sort of scale. And now comes the polish on those fundamental aspects on which the bulk of the content will rest. It's a very exciting time to be a gamer!

AND! Just got word yesterday that my Crosswind is finished being built and ready for shipping. Very hype weekend for my flightsim side. :D

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2015, 11:33:45 am »
Interesting you mention EVE. EVE is a great game in many respects. But it was programmed in a era where you had single core architecture be dominant. Even on the server side. And as I understand it that has been a huge limiting factor in EVE. Why there is a problem to scale thing in EVE. And fixing that in insanely difficult after.

Star Citizen is build around modularity and scalability as far as I can tell. It is also part of why thing are taking time. There not halfassing it. Do it right form the start. So what we see now is actually stuff that is going to make a huge difference. I am glad that there putting a lot of effort in to future proofing the game. And about the only thing I can see now that it is maybe lacking is that is not build on pointcloud rendering rather then old polygone. And well... we can not be sure if that is the future. (Polys are still preferred by most after all.)

(Not to say EVE halfassed it. But predicting the future is hard. Hard to make thing future proof.)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2015, 11:40:17 am »
Yokto I'm going to fly my giant billboard ship into the beams. It's gonna be great! :33333

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2015, 07:04:50 am »
Electronic Warfare Details

Was very happy to see this design note. I've been hyped for the spying and subterfuge aspect of Star Citizen.

Also the Social Module has been released, so we can now leave our hangars and explore the world a bit! Yay!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2015, 11:47:48 am »
Also, if anyone is interested, I've been getting my photography organization set up finally.

Check it out!

Gonna do an article tonight I think. Will be detailing our move to a new city to coincide with the release of the Social Module. :D

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2015, 12:19:58 pm »
Well. A bummer but about what people seemed to expect.

Though, these guys may not be on board with the modular process the guy seems to be going with so maybe it's a bit of bitterness, too?

Either way not something you want to hear
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2015, 07:10:34 pm »
Definitely some bitterness going on. And it doesn't help that games media has had it out for this game since it started raking in huge amounts of money. Some publications practically want it to fail.

Thankfully, Chris Roberts has decided to address it: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14979-Chairmans-Response-To-The-Escapist

I'm just patiently waiting for 2016 or 2017 when everything starts finishing up. Should be nice! Am hyped and happy with what I've gotten so far. Seems in line with my initial expectations.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2015, 09:16:21 pm »
OH! Almost forgot! The new modular research ship thingy looks pretty slick.

MISC Endeavor

Maybe I'll be able to get one in-game someday! But maybe not. I'll settle for walking around on one.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2015, 10:50:54 am »
pat you're scaring me now
Not a winner anymore.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2015, 04:54:31 pm »
Right?

2016-2017?

Crazy talk