Author Topic: FTL: Faster Than Light - Roguelike spaceship captaining!  (Read 8143 times)

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: FTL: Faster Than Light - Roguelike spaceship captaining!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 08:37:58 am »
This is the game I watched Steve play the other night. Not sure it's my kind of game.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 06:21:55 pm »

Here is a picture of a good ship I had. Ironically I died the next turn.   ::)

I always name my ship "The Naucean" and have a crew of Hydro, Flint and Meka.

So far I have only unlocked 1 other ship and the orange variant ship. I personally like the layout of the Kestrel.

EDIT: Its too bad the game is so linear (however it has great re-playability) I wish the maps were more like Spore where you could just travel anywhere. Not just to the right.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:28:30 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 07:23:24 pm »
I can never quite seem to get my shield operator to level up faster than an absolute snails pace. In all my games I think there was only once when the operator maxed out (when quite often by the end-game they haven't even levelled up once). Perhaps I'm simply taking out my targets too fast? Or perhaps my pilot/engineroom are levelling up too fast in comparison, lowering the number of shield recharges happening? I dunno...

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 08:31:41 pm »
i think disabling/re-enabling shields help level him up. Gains experience when shields recharge, i suppose..

Online Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 09:03:38 pm »
Today my computer crashed and lost my save on my best run ever.

I had the Adjudicator (Zoltan Ship) with maxed shields, maxed crew, a mantis teleporter strike force, the best beam weapon, best burst laser, almost maxed engines and Engi Nanobot infusion.

I was pissed off man.

PISSED OFF.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 09:54:35 pm »
That really sucks.  :(

Online Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 04:49:54 pm »
So the second phase of the flagship is cheap as hell.

I don't know how you are supposed to penetrate its four shields PLUS defense drone and millions of repair crew, while being swarmed by infinity attack drones and ditto boarding drones.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2012, 01:50:37 am »
I think it helps if you have a very large crew, so you can have a few people attacking the boarding drone, and two others teleporting over to destroy some of the weapon rooms, to give you some respite, without having to give up on manning  your essential stations.
I beat the boss with a full crew, which probably helped a lot.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 10:37:24 am »
The cloaking system is really useful for the second stage of the boss, for countering the drone surge attack. You'll need it for the third stage, too. A shield recharger or weapon reloader augment can really help combat too. Ion or some kind of bomb deployment system is useful for disabling the boarder if you can get there fast enough, but you have to penetrate that shield to target anything but the shield segment. This is normally why I pack lots of laser, in place of other things. Missiles can help, but you'd need an ample supply, and only the most powerful beams can penetrate the shields if you weaken them. A lot of it is in your equipment prior to the encounter. Don't forget your own drones. Even if you only invest in a basic attack or defense drone it can help tip things in your odds. Remember that when you buy the control system you get a free random (often low-grade) drone.

Then again, I've gone soft. I've been playing easy-mode for some time now just to unlock some ships, going back to normal is awkward.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 10:51:39 am »
Unlimited crew cheat. Check.

Online Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 10:55:14 am »
Easymode. HA!

Haven't even touched it. Can't touch my FTL cred.

Also I've unlocked two ships nobody else seems to. The Adjudicator and the Bulwark.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 11:18:12 am »
I've beaten game twice on normal, and unlocked the type B configurations for all the ships I have unlocked (of which I had 4). I'm just awesome, yeah.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 11:40:22 am »
I've got the Bulwark too. It's pretty decent.

I tried to do a drone run with the Torus, and it went pretty well, even if I only got a second attack drone in the second-to-last sector. But I did get a second ion gun a few sectors earlier, which made things a bit easier.
In the end I also had a sizeable crew, and if I would've had a teleporter I think I could've taken down the boss. Instead I died in the third stage. I would've gone to a repair system, but the boss was between me and it, and the other systems were invaded already.

And I agree a cloak can really help against the boss. I mainly use it to dodge his multi-missile attacks.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 01:00:51 pm »
@MetallicDragon

Any tips or tricks you wish to share?

Online Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 03:07:09 pm »
Tips for this game are kind of pointless. The runs that get very far need a mixture of luck, calculated risktaking and a general knowledge of how everything in the game works, what options to choose in events and so on.

Besides just "play the game a lot and learn what works", all tips are basically along the lines of "make sure you find this particular weapon or ship system".

Actually, I'd say a good tip is not to buy ship upgrades unless you are sure they are necessary. Never put points into a certain system just because you think it might come in useful later. Never buy an upgrade if you can't also buy the power bars to run it. Buying half a shield is basically useless besides giving a small damage so just save your scrap until you can afford two shield upgrades and two reactor upgrades to power the new shields. Keeping your wealth in scrap instead of tied up in ship systems allows you to be more flexible. You never know when you're going to run into a merchant who has the perfect upgrade you need.