Author Topic: FTL: Faster Than Light - Roguelike spaceship captaining!  (Read 8140 times)

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
FTL: Faster Than Light - Roguelike spaceship captaining!
« on: September 16, 2012, 03:01:54 am »

FTL: Faster Than Light is one of the first Kickstartered games to be released. As that page describes it,
Quote from: FTL Kickstarter Page
FTL is a spaceship simulation roguelike-like. Its aim is to recreate the atmosphere of running a spaceship exploring the galaxy.

Basically, you're in charge of a Federation spaceship, and you have to flee from the overwhelming Rebel fleet. Managing the ship is fairly detailed, with you having to send your crew to various (sub)system rooms to boost their functionality or to repair them during and after attacks. Combat is also engaging, with you having to decide which weapons you fire at which system on the enemy ship. Plus, you have to occasionally fight of boarders, adding a whole new frantic balancing act.

The roguelike part comes in when you travel from system to system. You never know what you're going to run into, be it a civilian ship under attack or a spaceship in need of fuel. There's also stores where you can buy new weapons, subsystems that provide new function or boosts, or even new crew members. You never know what you're going to run into. There's also the fact that you won't reach the last sector too often.

I thought this thread would be a good place to share some of our stories.

Replayability comes from the aforementioned randomness, but also from unlocking different ship configurations as you play. Each ship has a different layout and starts with different weapons, forcing you to change your playstyle.

Winning battles and successfully completing certain events earns you Scrap, the universe's currency and upgrade material. With scrap you buy new equipment, and also improve for instance your engine system or allow for more weapons to be mounted. But do you save up your Scrap to buy a powerful new weapon, or do you use it now to upgrade your shields?

There's three places where you can buy the game: the website of the developers, GOG, and Steam.
Buying from the dev's site nets you a DRM-free download for Windows, Mac and Linux, plus a Steam key. GOG gives you a Windows DRM-free copy, plus a few extras like artwork. On Steam you just get the game.
The best offer seems to be buying from the devs directly, especially if you're using euros to pay, because on Steam you pay 9 euros and at the devs you pay 9 dollars, saving you some money. Plus, the devs get more of your money since they don't have to give Valve a cut.
If you like extras GOG is also an option, though they're not too spectacular in my opinion.

The soundtrack of the game can be previewed and bought here.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 09:11:35 am by Didero »

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL: Faster Than Light - Roguelike spaceship captaining!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 03:31:08 am »
It is a good game but very unforgiving. Even if you make to the end you might have no chance if you where not lucky to pick up the parts needed to outfit your ship right. That said there is no ideal path you must take. That is part of the fun. Trying to adapt to the situation.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 11:38:37 am »
Yeah, this game is a bitch. Fun though. If you ever want a game to teach you how to think on your feet, this would be the game to do it.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 01:50:28 pm »
Even with an awesome ship, I still got my ass handed to me by the final boss, after defeating it twice...
And yet I still can't put this game down.

Here's hoping for an open modding thingy for it. Insert Spore species here~

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 03:17:37 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YxaVNcG848" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YxaVNcG848</a>

Yeah I just watched a Lets Play of it. It looks awesome. I will probably buy it.

As Quill18 said, "Its like Oregon Trail in Space". Which is so cool!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 03:19:29 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 08:28:30 pm »
This... is a game I want to build a trainer for.

I do that now, by the way. If you want game trainers or cheat engines (single player only), I can try to make you one. No promises! :D

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 09:08:14 pm »
Picked up the game after reading about it here.  Managed to get to the 8th sector on Easy, but the final boss tore me apart.  It's never so much direct attacks that take me out, but boarders that just do a phenomenal amount of harm.  Is there any better ways of dealing with them than sicking your mantises on them or venting their compartments?
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 10:00:26 pm »
Yeah, boarders are my bane too. I lost like four crew members to a boarding party of two, and on more than one occasion have lost because they landed in my O2 room.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 10:40:50 pm »
It's annoying because I had a mantis on my crew, with significant experience in combat, and yet he almost constantly got his ass handed to him whenever anyone boarded.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 10:51:25 pm »
So I bought it today and its super fun! The down side is my monitor was too small so it would not fit all in the the screen so I had to trick the settings to make fit. But at least it works now!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:53:30 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 11:06:43 pm »
Wait, what size is your monitor?

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 12:58:18 am »
To deal with boarders, I usually make sure I've got my doors upgraded. That makes sure they can't break through too easily. Then I vent the oxygen to outer space in the rooms they're in, and when they reach my important rooms or crew, I try to finish them off by attacking them directly, preferably with larger numbers.
Not foolproof but it works usually.

Except the one time where they attacked my door system, and I emptied the air out. In the end I did manage to kill them, but by then the door system was broken, so I couldn't close the outer door. Furthermore, since there was no oxygen left in the door room, I couldn't send in my crew to fix it without them getting hurt. In the end I decided to try anyway, and predictably lost my crew.
Fun game and story though, and now I try to be more careful.

But yeah, a door upgrade is one of the first things I buy.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 01:15:58 am »
Here's hoping for an open modding thingy for it. Insert Spore species here~

I'm getting a more Traveller vibe from it. I'd love to have an S-Type Scout.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 02:32:34 am »
Wait, what size is your monitor?

12x9 inch X2gen monitor with the setting of 1024x768. The minimum FTL specs says it 1280×720. My ATI video card can handle much more (2048x1536). So I set it to 1280x768 and it distorts my desktop (as well as messes up all my icons) but I can at least load the game with everything in the screen.

EDIT: I also found this very useful.

How to survive in FTL

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:45:50 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 07:55:18 am »
I too have a story about boarders.

Previously in the game i'd had the misfortune to lose a crewmember to a random event, leaving me with just two crew running around trying to keep everything going.

Then in another event I ended up fighting a mantis ship. In addition to sending boarders across they outgunned me and my ship really took a spanking before I finally won. My prize for this event was a new crewmember, which I desperately needed since one of my two had taken an unlucky hit from a missile during the battle and died. So I select the option to get a new crewmember and a plucky Rock plops down in the cockpit.
I send my new crewmember and my survivor to go and do some repairs, starting with the door system and the sensors.

Oh god. Everything is on fire! Vent atmosphere, vent Atmosphere! In my panic, however, I hadn't noticed that the oxygen system was destroyed. So its a race against time to get it fixed before my crew die. My two guys get there and fix it, but the human doesn't make it to the medibay in time, leaving the ship manned by one Rock by himself.

The next FTL jump gives me a random event where four human rebels teleport aboard the ship.

Even standing in the medbay and with 150 hp a Rock can not last against four boarders.

RIP IN PEACE ROCK ;_;7
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.