Author Topic: Where has the time gone?  (Read 5179 times)

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
Where has the time gone?
« on: August 10, 2012, 01:43:30 pm »
Thinking about GamingSteve today, remembering when I had just turned twelve, and gotten spore for my birthday, I remember how I was very young and inexperienced. Seeing all of these people who were in High School(!) who were also into Spore, intimidated me a bit.

Fast Forward almost four years later, I turn 16 in a month, and I'm in that place. I'm the old fart on the forum, and there are new people who are younger that me.
HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN GYAH

so you know, share your newbie stories and all that

Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Where has the time gone?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 02:08:48 pm »
._.

I remember when this guy named Steve used to come here. He was pretty cool and made podcasts for us.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 02:21:57 pm »
I was too young to realize that older people were interested in Spore and yet I read Gaming Steve alot when I was 7. I was as obsessed as everyone else though, and that's coming from a guy who doesn't even believe in evolution.
I don't care if you do so don't make any comments. I'm not like a crazy religious person trying to convert you or anything

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 02:34:43 pm »
I was too young to realize that older people were interested in Spore and yet I read Gaming Steve alot when I was 7. I was as obsessed as everyone else though, and that's coming from a guy who doesn't even believe in evolution.
I don't care if you do so don't make any comments. I'm not like a crazy religious person trying to convert you or anything

Your comment almost makes me think you are inviting controversy. It may have been better to say nothing at all, or to at least leave out the narrow-minded disclaimer.

We used to do stuff like this a lot too... back in the good old days. @_@

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 02:37:27 pm »
Just avoiding argument. I worded it wrong. What I meant to say is that I'm cool with everybody's opinion so please don't start an angry mob. I guess there's just some tiny seed in every creationist that makes me an idiot when the subject comes about.

EDIT: So I hear there's a game coming out where you can create your own universe.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:39:54 pm by Slinky2* »

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 07:21:50 pm »
I'm the old fart on the forum, and there are new people who are younger that me.

Aren't like, Gauph Lady Gec Lego Wizard Ovi Hydro Ink all 25+?

Heck I'm pretty sure 21 is the median age at this point.

Which is why it's weird cause 5 years ago I was a sophomore in high school and the median was probably 17 haha. Love it.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Online sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 08:46:13 pm »
21 here as well. Based on only using you and myself as the sample size, yes you are correct eropS.

I remember my newbie days. 14 years old, excited about Spore, and happy to find a new internet home (as my old one sort of fell apart). This place has been a well of friendship and support in my time here and I thank you all for it.

._.

I remember when this guy named Steve used to come here. He was pretty cool and made podcasts for us.

I still think it'd be kind of neat if we tried making our own gaming related content and submitting it to Steve for use on the main page (if he'd be willing).
I see a number of witty, intelligent, talented people here capable of producing and editing good content gosh darn it. I say we pull a Majestic on this place and get the front lights running again (while battling amnesia and McCarthyism at the same time).

The worst that can happen is he says no.
(and the best that can happen is pancakes for everyone.)
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Gec

• Defender Devotee
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 09:07:34 pm »
Gawsh, I must have been, like, 18 when I first joined. Now I'm 25 and still haven't given up on drawing.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:21:43 pm »
Never give up drawing, dude. You're ****ing amazing!

I still think it'd be kind of neat if we tried making our own gaming related content and submitting it to Steve for use on the main page (if he'd be willing).

I also like this idea. And smashing McCarthyism is also cool. But really... does anyone want to here a bunch of people that aren't Steve or someone "important" talking about games? >_>

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 11:04:18 pm »
15 when I joined, 21 now.  That's what's great about our forum.  We've been here so long, we know each other so well.  So many shared experiences.  So many stories.  I don't think I'm alone in saying that this forum has definitely changed me for the better over the years.  That's why I can't fathom it when people leave.  Why would you want to?
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 11:43:59 pm »
*punches Marty because he's probably drunk and would appreciate that*

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 02:45:58 am »
I joined when I was 14, as a kid excited for Spore. I'm now 20 and could have a show going to the Edinburgh Fringe next year if the theatre company I'm in so chooses.

I can lend my voice to any proceedings. Its quite good, I've been told.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 03:42:01 am »
I see a number of witty, intelligent, talented people here capable of producing and editing good content gosh darn it. I say we pull a Majestic on this place and get the front lights running again (while battling amnesia and McCarthyism at the same time).

The worst that can happen is he says no.
(and the best that can happen is pancakes for everyone.)

Its something we have occasionally considered before and discussed on IRC and such but we generally come to the conclusion that we either wouldn't have anything interesting to do or say and probably wouldn't update regularly enough anyway. 
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 07:12:39 am »
I've been here 7 1/2 years and at this point I can't imagine leaving. I wish Steve would come by a little more and do his podcasts again.  But he still runs the place and pays the bills so we have a place to hang out so that's not so bad.

I would say this site and spore changed my life in a huge way on a personal level. I've built real relationships that started out on the internet. Pretty cool.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 07:25:49 am »
*punches Marty because he's probably drunk and would appreciate that*

Just cause I'm drunk doesn't mean I'm not right.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net