Author Topic: "Tastes May Vary"  (Read 6193 times)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
"Tastes May Vary"
« on: April 23, 2012, 01:28:20 pm »
Ever really disliked a game that seemed to be generally be liked by others?
This is the thread for it. Kindly add a brief of why you disliked it, so others can figure whether to dodge the game or not.
Feel free to offer counterpoint, the idea of this is to expose those critical little details that can make or break a game, depending on a person's tastes.

I'm going to open with : "Superbrothers Swords & Sworcery EP"
Now, normally I can really sink into an artsy "experience" kind of game, but this is completely hollow to me in every way, and yet people seem to love it. I don't even think it really fully qualifies as a 'game', and even fails on the utterly linear story side of things. The trailers are pretty damn dishonest about it. For instance, one of it's features is supposed to be being able to use twitter to cooperate with others or give hints. Instead what you get is a button attached to most snippets of text in the game, that copy-pastes it into a tweet, which will mean nothing to anyone without the game (and apparently the tweets have a link to stuff relating to the game). I suspected this was the case, given a lot of the text snippets that appear in a point-and-click manner, always sounded to be deliberately passive-hipster-cool and like they were from your own mouth, to bait people. Plus the game keeps not-so-subtly poking you to use Twitter for this free advertisement even though you gain nothing.

Then you get the linearity. Linearity isn't always a bad thing if there is a story to be told, with plot points that need to be adhered to, but the 'game' outright hand-holds you through close-knit hoops, and then when it finally stops doing this, it leaves things very obscure. Add to this the fact your character moves pretty slow, and any undue wandering around becomes more a chore than the "pleasant walk, soaking in the atmosphere" it seems they were hoping for. Then you get intermittant fourth-wall breaking by a random character in a suit who is always smoking, telling you that apparently the game is some kind of therapy and choking out trying-too-hard-to-be-deep lines that sound akin to Star-Trek techno-filler. This isn't the charming fourth-wall breaking in things like Monkey Island or Metal Gear Solid, it's stuff like :
"Liminality is the recourse of somatic lucidity, our mythopoetic ergonometry facilitates internal growth, but we'll talk more about this later". I kid you not.

The parts that remotely add up to being gamelike, are brief interruptions for combat, where clicking and holding a shield icon blocks damage in most cases, and clicking the sword takes a swing. I'm sitting at 65% completion and have only faced two standard enemies, which consisted of block->attack->win. An additional two were 'bosses' consisting of floating triforce chunks, which were almost as simple. The non-combat 'puzzles' are largely a matter of sitting around staring at the screen looking for faint glows and then clicking on them randomly until you find the right order, with very little variation. Failing that, click at random. One of the novelties of the game was that real life moon phases effect gameplay. It's more that one of the chapters stonewalls your progress until you have played during two certain moon phases, and unsubtly suggests you alter your computer's date/time to speed the process, with a non-cheat alternative in-game that has a design flaw preventing access to some, for 24 hours. The cheating comes with a petty in-game penalty of preventing you from hitting 100% completion stat and apparently altering the ending, but giving you an achievement.

My conclusion thusfar is that this is just hipsterish garbage that was made as an after-thought to the music. The music itself is alright, it's still growing on me, but that alone can't really hold up all these flaws, no matter how cheap the purchase was. I'm normally all about a chilled, atmospheric experience, especially with a pixelcore graphic style, but this has been tedious and feels pretentious. Plus the big dishonesty really rubbed me the wrong way.
It baffles me how so many people are really liking this. :I
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:06:45 am by Uroboros »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
Re: "Tastes May Vary"
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:43:57 pm »
Hmm. I could smell the hipster**** coming off that game. Good to know that my instincts are still sharp.

Also hipster****: The Stanley Parable. Try looking up the old thread for that one.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:49:32 pm »
The Stanley Parable had 'hipster' vibes, but it struck me more as an experiment/demonstration. The kind where you want to prove you can do something with both arms tied behind your back. Doesn't make it more fun, it's more like... I dunno, a curio, I guess. Hell, at least it was free. If you disregard time you wasted~

What about Dear Esther? I never played that but got a similar feeling from it.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 01:52:36 pm »
Tribes: Ascend.

What the crap guys.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 01:56:23 pm »
Tribes: Ascend.

What the crap guys.
Elaborate, my good fellow. That's kind of the idea of the thread.
For instance, I felt Bioshock was a hollow, forgettable shooter because the atmosphere didn't appeal to me. Spent the entire game "waiting for it to get good", and most people love that game. I was actually going to go with Bioshock as my thread opener but my reasons for disliking it are harder to articulate than the "Music with distractions" I used.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 02:22:09 pm »
I thoroughly despise Bioshock for reasons that have nothing to do with the game itself.

I don't know about Dear Esther. It would be hard to top Stanley Parable in being HURFDURF SOOO DEEP DURR so it's probably less awful.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 02:34:41 pm »
I thoroughly despise Bioshock for reasons that have nothing to do with the game itself.

I don't know about Dear Esther. It would be hard to top Stanley Parable in being HURFDURF SOOO DEEP DURR so it's probably less awful.

explain the bioshocks

also the stanley parable was enjoyable to me, none of that 2DEEP4U bull****, just a bunch of silly jokes with a bit of an obvious "hidden meaning".
dear esther looks full pretentious hipster bull**** though

as for me, i like all games.
all of them.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 02:43:59 pm »
I should have probably made this thread a long time ago, really. That way I could have perhaps dodged Braid, despite the amount of people lathering themselves into suddy wrecks of joy about it. Braid was about as pretentious as Swords and Sworcery, but it's build-up was far better and at least pretended to be following a solid and immediate story, and had some actual game in it. Hnngh.

It's weird really. For all our groaning and grunting about generic FPS covershooters and rehashes that rely on graphics to get sales, the indie side of it is no better. They're just on smaller budgets so resort to other "prettification" to get sales, whilst claiming to be returns to classic awesomeness whilst totally missing the point. Then you get things like Cavestory which do it really right, and for free. Wat do?

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 03:34:57 pm »
who was it that said that you don't need to put an explicit moral or message in your story, because other people will invent one? cause that's the way it should be done.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 06:10:44 pm »
Monster Hunter on the Wii.  Lots of people around here loved it, I got suckered in by videos of fighting dinosaurs with a giant sword.  It's the only game that I've ever played and sold back to the store.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 06:19:02 pm »
TF2. I just don't think it's as fun as people seem to claim it is.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 06:59:08 pm »

GET OUT

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 07:13:55 pm »
I want to hear more of Lurk's stupid opinions.

Tell us about Final Fantasy VII next!

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 09:02:57 pm »

GET OUT

I have also never played Half-Life or counter strike because I also do not find them interesting! It must be something about Valves artistic direction because idk, all of their games have a look that turns me off.

Except Portal because I do love a good puzzle.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 09:11:32 pm »
I have also never played Half-Life or counter strike because I also do not find them interesting!

Ow my head.

Ow...