Author Topic: "Tastes May Vary"  (Read 6089 times)

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: "Tastes May Vary"
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 10:17:05 pm »
something judge something book cover something something

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 01:32:42 am »
I should have probably made this thread a long time ago, really. That way I could have perhaps dodged Braid, despite the amount of people lathering themselves into suddy wrecks of joy about it. Braid was about as pretentious as Swords and Sworcery, but it's build-up was far better and at least pretended to be following a solid and immediate story, and had some actual game in it. Hnngh.
The thing with Braid is, even if you ignore the story, it's still a fun game. Because either I'm stupid with these things, the story was vague, or both, but I don't think I really understood it. Yet I did enjoy the game.

But yeah, on RPS for instance, people feel the same as you about Swords & Sworcery. So you're not alone in that regard.

And about Stanley's Parable. The point it was trying to make was pretty obvious while still interesting. Plus, it was kind of funny, so that helped.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 03:16:19 am »
I want to hear more of Lurk's stupid opinions.

Tell us about Final Fantasy VII next!

IT SUCKS

explain the bioshocks

Irrational could have spent that time making something a lot more special, but instead: hurfadurf, we consoleshooters now. I wouldn't be nearly so mad if they didn't go "oh yeah we love all of lurk's favourite games and we're totally stoked to make more of them see we've got this concept art and everything" and then immediately start working on Bioshock: IN SPAAAAAACE THE SKY
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 05:01:01 am »
Oh right, Freedom Force.

Come on man, as much as I'd like another one two games is plenty.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 06:05:18 am »
Come on dudes, you don't have to write paragraphs of rambling like I do, just some general reasons why you disliked stuff is great. It's the why that helps folks determine whether to avoid it themselves.

TF2. I just don't think it's as fun as people seem to claim it is.
I think the common problem with TF2 is that newer players have a hard time getting into the flow of things, what with all the zany weapons and equipment they brought out. Back at release, the classes felt a bit more defined, and it was easier to tell what the hell was going on. I used to burn so much time on this game but now I'm suffering from near-permanent burnout.

I have also never played Half-Life or counter strike because I also do not find them interesting! It must be something about Valves artistic direction because idk, all of their games have a look that turns me off.
Neither version of counterstrike has aged very well. The hit detection was always pretty wonkey (as it normally is in Call-of-Doody style gaming), and accidental headshots during sprays result in you having to sit out for the next match. The appeal was always supposed to be in the intensity of preserving your own life whilst making the push, but it got left way behind as technology moved onwards. Halflife is a different thing though. Something about HL2 didn't quite do it for me either, perhaps because I played the original, and no.2 lacked the same "surviving against all odds" fine-edge. They were working to a concept, too. The combine just didn't really grab me, as the main antagonist force. Far too humanoid, and familiarity happily numbs any sense of dread. The following episodes didn't feel like they added anything substantially new. Just more walking around and shooting. It lacked the 'special something' that Portal had in buckets. Then again, I'm of the personal opinion that HL2:EP3 has likely turned vaporware because Valve are developing a new engine to base it from. Source engine is nice and all, but it's aged rapidly.

The thing with Braid is, even if you ignore the story, it's still a fun game. Because either I'm stupid with these things, the story was vague, or both, but I don't think I really understood it. Yet I did enjoy the game.
But yeah, on RPS for instance, people feel the same as you about Swords & Sworcery. So you're not alone in that regard.
And about Stanley's Parable. The point it was trying to make was pretty obvious while still interesting. Plus, it was kind of funny, so that helped.
Braid was interesting for it's game mechanics but it really didn't hold my attention, I only kept with it for the potential story despite my boredom. Oh, and it really isn't anything to do with your intelligence, it was just very poorly explained, and too cerebral to seem intentional. You see : The woman you're trying to rescue, is in fact the nuclear bomb. His pursuit of her is symbolic of the bomb's development. The tragedy that happened, was her creation, and the forgetting of it was some kind of "wish come true" on wanting to forget what they created. The first part of the final scene that made you think you were trying to rescue her, was symbolic of the scientific struggles towards a complete project, being the hero that developed something big and historical. The second part of the final scene where you were stalking her towards her rescuer, was the obsessive pursuit of destructive things. The ending room gave you clips of text from a weird in-character point of view, with hidden places to stand that repeated them, with clarity in regards to the reality of the bomb. And no, it didn't explain this very well at all. The biggest clue was in "And now we are all sons of b**ches" as a famously uttered line. In fact if you're careful during the final scene where you are separated from her and running around, you can engineer a way to reach her, and in doing so, she explodes. No, this isn't a hipster interpretation, this is the actual meaning of the game. The walking head-monsters, cannons, puzzles, keys and time mechanics were all just largely unrelated filler, to pace the story behind it.

The Stanley Parable was an interesting little curio for what it was worth, but it just needed more humour to go along with the examples of design philosophy.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:00:56 pm by Uroboros »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 07:33:27 am »
TF2. I just don't think it's as fun as people seem to claim it is.
I think the common problem with TF2 is that newer players have a hard time getting into the flow of things, what with all the zany weapons and equipment they brought out. Back at release, the classes felt a bit more defined, and it was easier to tell what the hell was going on. I used to burn so much time on this game but now I'm suffering from near-permanent burnout.

Nobody would still be playing TF2 these days if it didn't get new stuff occasionally, though. It's important that it stilll gets new content.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 09:48:43 am »
and gabe buys like, 18% of his food with all that money they get from hats

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Online Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 06:37:18 pm »
I don't think Valve makes enough off of hats to pay for that much food, Celdur.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 05:00:49 am »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 06:59:38 am »
skyrim really disappointed me in that I wasn't on the wheel of hype for it anyways but still felt obligated to try it, the game felt just like oblivion, the inventory annoyed the crap out of me, and the tedium of looting several hundred bodies for 2 gold coins was still as annoying as ever.

the music and graphics? yea they were nice but I wanted something new from gameplay, dual wielding magic was fun for all of about 20 seconds before casting the same 2 spells over and over became boring.

None of the big quest storylines made me really feel like I was making the choices it just felt like I was going to point X to do Y and maybe Z instead.

my biggest anger though has to be the world in general, I get it, skyrims all mountainous north, but when you make the main storyline quest go from point A on the bottom of the map to point B all the way on top of a mountain that gives you no general idea of how to get up it, your just wasting my time.

kingdom of amalur does the same crap with the world and storyline progressing too, it bugs the crap out of me

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 07:11:47 am »
I had the same experiance in Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii I barely got through the tutorial and hated it. Quests seemed to much a pain in the arse in an MMO you can be waiting for respawns so you can collect the drops for a quest you shouldnt be doing that for a single player adventure when I'm waiting for an enemy to respawn so I can hope for the random drop to give me quest items I'm not having fun through a time limit on the quest and the hell with this.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 08:11:49 am »
yeah, monster hunter has the worst start of any game i can think of.
the whole "it gets good later on in the game" argument is ****ing stupid too, because yknow, something has to interest you from the start
but it really does get really ****ing good later. it throws fetch quests out the door and you pretty much have to fight a single gigantic monster each quest.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 08:46:33 am »
Okay, I know this topic is a bit old and everybody is gonna hate me but...

Minecraft. Really. Because of the fact that the whole experience has GREAT ideas but the whole thing feels very bare-bones and unpolished. It's like the original Super Mario Bros. of sandbox gaming compared to the Galaxy that will come. At least that's my opinion and the reason I go back and forth about getting it. Terarria or Starbound I'd definitely buy if I had Steam because although they are 2d and whatnot, they seem to me to be much more complex, deep, and atmospheric. Also I'm a sucker for non-voxel pixel art and randomization to the EXTREME.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 11:28:05 am »
Agree.

Tend to go through swings of loving Minecraft and hating Minecraft. :P

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 12:38:16 pm »
I can't believe you don't have steam.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.