Author Topic: I have discovered the meaning of life!  (Read 5202 times)

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: I have discovered the meaning of life!
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2012, 11:02:31 pm »
OK. people "seeing" "ghosts" is an observation of a sort. Fair enough. People believing in ghosts is nothing though.

And It still goes before the question, I think. you have no reason to ask if ghosts are real until after people start seeing ghosts.

Still no biological mechanism for dead bodies to leave behind ghosts, as far as I know. Though it might be possible for something to have that kind of ability (speculatively, in another universe), nothing actually does.

also, brandon, I still think were basically on the same page, I'm just not very good at communicating myself so I sound messy sometimes.

anyone else have anything to say about ghosts or can we move on? I don't think we have a problem, I'm just curious.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2012, 12:40:00 am »
No, I think we have a problem.

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2012, 01:26:36 am »
Pat, you have become really quotable lately.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Oviraptor

• Tetris Tutor
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2012, 01:46:44 am »
Lately?

Also, Hydro that is not how it works. It would go more like this:

1. People occasionally see unexplained aberrations.
2. Collect data about said aberrations.
3. Come up with a hypothesis as to why these aberrations might occur.
4. Come up with a reproducible way to test the validity of your hypothesis and test it.
5. Analyze the data generated from experiment and make a conclusion based off said data.

Do you see the difference?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:04:25 am by Oviraptor »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2012, 03:24:00 am »
Do you see the difference?

Yes, you said it. Therefore its true.  ;)

But seriously, when you say "validity" what do you mean?

Note that I do not believe in ghosts any more than I believe in bigfoot. If someday science can explain ghosts beyond what has already been said (which include a number of factors ranging from being crazy to magnets) then I will accept that like I do any other any other scientific claim (since all scientific theories can be proved wrong if a better theory disproves it).

All I am saying is we should have an open mind and let the real scientists discover things to help us all better understand the universe around us.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:33:34 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2012, 03:50:55 am »
That is a dismissal of ovi's actual (better stated than mine*) point. You replacing it with an imaginary one (appeal to authority, in this case.) he didn't even slightly suggest.

Neither will I accept the smiley face meaning your just being all tongue and cheek or something, because thats such a lame ass way of avoiding accountability for the things you say.

*I think i'll just stick to picking at other peoples arguements because i'm not great at organizing my own. Do we have a debate thread? I love this stuff. 3 years eating lunch with a creationist and now I can't stop. Wow i've posted more this week than the past several months.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2012, 01:23:52 am »
@Crazen

Your reading too much into what I said. I agree with Ovi.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:25:28 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Great Distance

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2012, 06:51:17 pm »
I just worked real hard today and came home from university after 1 AM. I feel like I made real progress with my house and garden plan and I'm going to get this done before the deadline on Friday and I'm going to get it done well.

I just feel thrilled. And I feel hopeful for the future. I feel like I could have some good, worthwhile things in my life if I work really hard. And I will appreciate all those things even more so. I want to work harder so that I can finally be of use to more people than myself. But first I have to take care of myself. I'm going to concentrate on that. I'm going to make this all work out for me. You'll see.

Offline Gec

• Rally-X Roadster
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2012, 07:17:26 pm »
You'll all see...

Offline Great Distance

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2012, 01:07:44 am »
I finished my project, went to our critique session, it went well, I felt good, then slept 13 hours straight and now I feel great.

So it's early in the morning as I sit upon a new bright spring day. What next? Well, duties never end, life goes on. Do I deserve a prize for my hard work so far? No, I've still got things to do, but I can do them knowing I have had success before, knowing that hard work is not without merits. Is that not a prize enough? The feeling you get from a job well done, and the anticipation of doing an even better job the next time. Knowing you have learned well and you have the capability to keep on learning, getting closer to your goal. Never to be perfect but to keep on reaching for perfection, like the limit of a function that forever approaches a certain value without ever reaching it, but coming infinitely close to it. All in the name of making that function usable, valuable in the higher order of mathematics, the infinite web of formalities that demands a function to have a value, it is finally regarded as having that specific value, and it is usable.

Yes, there are functions that never reach a value, but if they come infinitely close to it, it is entirely up for interpretation whether or not they can actually be regarded as having that value. If you get infinitely close, at which point could it be said you are actually there?

So I believe you may get your life's satisfaction by having an unreachable goal, knowing though you may never get to the very end, there might come a point where you are so close that some could say you did get to the end. Or at least came infinitely close to it.

Offline PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2012, 01:40:11 am »
I like your writing, Ms. Distance. :)

Offline Oviraptor

• Tetris Tutor
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2012, 02:07:54 am »
So basically you're taking the limit Life as it approaches Goal.

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2012, 01:32:11 am »
Not to dredge it up again, but I finally found the word I needed in that discussion before: Falsifiable. More or less my favorite concept of science.

Also, ice cream. Ice cream kicks ass. If we all just when out for ice cream instead of going to war, things would be a lot more delicious.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Oviraptor

• Tetris Tutor
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2012, 01:33:29 am »
Now that's what I call a sticky situation.

Offline Kitkat

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2012, 01:56:05 am »
Maybe the meaning of life is to discover our own individual meaning along the way?
Just thought I'd drop by and say hello. :P
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino
And The Ni'Calls