Author Topic: I have discovered the meaning of life!  (Read 9508 times)

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
I have discovered the meaning of life!
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:57:58 am »
And no one is ever going to shake my belief. As proof, I made this thread and invite you all to disagree with me, so that I can even further prove that I can reject all your opinions and hold onto my own!

My belief is that what you're supposed to do in life is to work hard and have a goal. Overcome your fears and don't be afraid of success. But don't make rash decisions and be careful. Always think in the long term.

Oh, and worrying about wearing yourself out and working too hard is mostly bull**** and does more harm than good. So rather just work hard first and if that's not good enough, consider what must be done.

And then work hard some more.

And also it's not really that important to do something you love, it's more important to love what you do. Doesn't really matter which comes first. You can find good things in stuff you hate. You can learn to love that stuff.

I also think that it's important to appreciate all sorts of people, because the world needs all sorts to get by. Just make sure you are the better sorts. If you want to be happy with yourself.

Actually, happiness isn't all that important, either. There are other feelings that can make you feel good about yourself. Life is never unending bliss. You can find happiness in working hard all day and then in the end of the knowing that you can sleep well, having worked hard all day.

Getting stuff done makes you feel powerful, and while that doesn't necessarily imply happiness, it's a pretty good feeling nevertheless.

Some people might think you are a dick because you just want to feel powerful, but hey, can't please everyone. If they truly knew you and didn't judge you based on their misbeliefs, they'd probably like you! Just be nice and that'll get you far.

So, to summarize: Get stuff done, be nice and listen to people, agree and then do whatever you were going to do anyway, because you need to get your stuff done.

And to re-summarize: Get stuff done.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: I have discovered the meaning of life!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:02:46 pm »
thats not the meaning of life, thats just some...personal guideline thing.
not that its a bad one i suppose.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:13:18 pm »
Well, it's my personal meaning!

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:15:27 pm »
Sounds like the perfect minion worker.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:15:43 pm »

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:45:02 pm »
Are you having trouble coping with your study workload? I'm sure you're not the only one, and most if not all universities have mentors or study groups or the like that can help with that.

And forcing yourself to like stuff you don't, won't last long and will put a strain on you. It doesn't sound like it'd be a good idea.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 01:13:24 pm »
What is the point of all that hard work when you're just gonna die anyway and it will all be for nothing?

The meaning of life, is to live a good one.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 01:18:52 pm by Gorman Conall »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 02:10:33 pm »
Rock on with your bad self, GD.

Also, keep alert. One of these days I'll be out there to visit you to see how things are going. You will be graded.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 02:44:54 pm »
There is no intrinsic meaning to life, just lots of little meanings.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 02:46:13 pm »
Just curious, you don't happen to be enrolled in a poly-sci or philosophy class right now, are you?

-Lego

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 12:19:40 am »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 01:02:18 am »
There is no meaning of life. You are just a speck in the multiverse of existence. ... or was it 42?

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 12:33:42 pm »
Well, I guess it's strange I was so sure of my stance on this yesterday evening; I was completely assured I'd be getting stuff done because of my new-found philosophy and then I'd just work all day every day without a problem, but strangely today I was so exhausted ever since waking up that I hardly got anything done.

But it was just a momentarily lapse for sure. I'd forgotten to put on deodorant, so I felt kind of awkward. And then I drank too much coffee and too little water, so I was dehydrated. And then one of our teaching assistants told me I was doing pretty good on our assignment so far and I was getting stuff done, so I decided maybe I don't need to get so much stuff done today. And I'm moving this weekend (I may have said somewhere I had already moved, but that's actually when I got the keys to the new apartment but it's almost the same thing, and nobody cares anyway), so I had to arrange some of that stuff. Right after drinking lots and lots of water! And that actually made me feel better.

So today was not so great because I was feeling uncomfortable in my clothes and I was dehydrated. My belief is not shaken and I am not overworked.

Just curious, you don't happen to be enrolled in a poly-sci or philosophy class right now, are you?

-Lego

Nah, I just spent some time reading a blog where some guy was interviewing old people for life advice and "work hard" was one piece of advice that was often mentioned. Some Cracked articles have also led me to think the same thing, and there was actually a study in which it was found that conscentious people lived longer. And then I read some Wikipedia articles.

A few weeks ago I also read some snippet about Buddhism about how life is suffering (though apparently that's not exactly the right word, but there is no correct English translation) and how not getting what you want causes suffering. And also getting what you don't want causes suffering. And so does getting what you do want eventually cause suffering, because you're going to lose that thing anyway. So my take on it is that you shouldn't really want anything, just do what you're supposed to do and be happy with the small positive surprises in life.

Anyway, it's not really all that simple, but yep, I believe I'm onto something here.

Rock on with your bad self, GD.

Also, keep alert. One of these days I'll be out there to visit you to see how things are going. You will be graded.

Wait, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me? Just for clarity, so I won't feel like an idiot the next time I talk to you

Are you having trouble coping with your study workload? I'm sure you're not the only one, and most if not all universities have mentors or study groups or the like that can help with that.

And forcing yourself to like stuff you don't, won't last long and will put a strain on you. It doesn't sound like it'd be a good idea.

Actually, the more I think about it, I always really liked this stuff! I'd just forced myself to believe that I don't, because I didn't want to like doing what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm defiant like that. I also thought going into graphic design would be the answer, but now I'm pretty sure there would be plenty people there as well, who do not like the same stuff as I and would want me to do my work differently. And then I'd once again be defiant and think "OK I DON'T LIKE MAGAZINE DESIGNS BUT ILLUSTRATION'S REALLY WHERE IT'S AT" and then when someone would ask me to use some illustration style I don't like I'd be like "OK WELL I DON'T DO CHILDREN'S ILLUSTRATIONS I ONLY DO FANTASY ILLUSTRATIONS" etc. And in the end I would only like doing such specific things that I would not earn a living that way.

And then I realised, a lot of the drawings I've done I did just because I thought that's what people would like to see. But I put something of my own in them. I put something I liked in them. And I can do the same in landscape architecture. Find out what people want from me, find some reason why I would like to do it and then do it.

This realisation was also precedented by the realisation that most times, when I truly do what I find enjoyable all the way through, the end result usually sucks. I've done some drawings I've enjoyed immensely but afterwards I find the only good thing about them was the process of doing them. The result, however, may not be much to look at. Sometimes I've written some essays I've really liked but the teacher really didn't. Whereas, when I suffer for my work, however bad the result may seem to me, other people will usually like it. I get better grades, etc.

For the first time in my life I hardly studied for an exam recently. And I actually found the whole process kind of fun. I didn't feel stressed out at all and just read the parts that seemed vaguely interesting, and mostly skimmed through. I didn't expect a great result, bull****ted my way through the exam, and I didn't even feel bad for doing such a bad job. In fact I felt pretty good! Booyah, look at me just passing this exam without any worries whatsoever. And pass I did. On a scale from 1 to 5 (five is the best) I got 2. And even that felt okay.

But you know what? I wouldn't be in this university today if I had dealt with all exams the same way. Doing a terrible job may feel good now, but it will be bad in the long term. So do a good job now and go through some pain, it'll be better in the long term!

And you may say I should just enjoy life and relax and such, but what if doing a good job is what makes me enjoy life? What if knowing that I'm doing a good job and I'm doing what is required of me is exactly what I want from life? Maybe that's my goal. I woulf feel unfulfilled giving up working hard for something like a boyfriend or a family or partying or hanging out with people. And I would feel doubly unfulfilled if I gave up hard work in favor of wasting time online and accomplishing pretty much nothing. I would end up in a boring job that dulls my brains and boring free time that I would spend feeling like I never accomplished anything. Or I would end up in a stressful job that I hate, but one that is also far less meaningful to me than the jobs that may be available to me after doing well in university.

So I guess achieving something is what I want from my life. And I don't think that can happen any other way than through some hard work and a little bit of suffering. Heck, I kind of like some hard work and a little bit of suffering. Today, when I didn't feel so great, was mostly when I wasn't doing anything. As soon as I started dealing with one of the things I knew I had to do, I felt good.

So I suppose I gotta do what I gotta do. There's no other way. So I do what I must and when I'm done or at least started, I feel better!

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 03:02:37 pm »
There is no meaning of life. You are just a speck in the multiverse of existence. ... or was it 42?

Oh!
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 04:04:14 pm »
Well, hydro, that's awfully boring, isn't it?

My belief in how to have a successful life is be born rich, coast through life, catching all the breaks.

worked wonders for me.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!