Author Topic: I have discovered the meaning of life!  (Read 9506 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: I have discovered the meaning of life!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 06:29:37 pm »
Well, hydro, that's awfully boring, isn't it?

Quite the contrary, if there is no meaning of life then you can live however you want to rather than having to follow an ultimate meaning of life.

I mean really if I am just a speck in a huge multiverse then imagine all the things one can do!! So much to discover, explore and learn! There is no way I could possibly experience everything in one lifetime! Thus you should never be bored since there is always something to do or discover!

For instance asking "How did life start?", "What happens when you die?" or "How do other lifeforms experience the universe?" These questions and more can be still asked even if there is no "meaning" of life.

No more meaning than asking "Why was I born as me no not someone else?" or "Why did humans end up as the dominant species of Earth rather than some other species?".

In short I do not think you need a specific "meaning of life". However you life can still have "meaning". If that makes sense. If not then 42 is the meaning of life.  :P

EDIT: Here I got it. If you want a meaning of life then here it is.

"The meaning of life is to be you."  ;)

I like it and I am sticking to it.

Because that's all you can be. If you were not you then you would not be you, would you?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:59:54 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 11:34:57 pm »
I agree with the spirit of your argument, but not with your conclusion, entirely.

I'm not a speck in the multiverse to me. To me I'm me and thats all I'll ever be.

Huh, that also responds to your next bit (which I hadn't read when I wrote that).
I don't technically believe in the self, so the idea of being someone else is silly. which is also why nothing happens after you die, because there is nobody for it to happen to.

"Why did humans end up as the dominant species of Earth rather than some other species?".
by being in the right place at the right time with the right set of abilities for that place and time.

as to where life comes from, I'll put it this way: think about what happens if you apply natural selection to everything in the universe.  Life is one of a very few things that actively tries to continue existing.

as for the origin of the universe, I believe I have the answer to what caused it: nothing. because time (which really means movement here.) didn't exist. There was no opportunity for anything to cause it or be before.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 12:20:39 am »

But what if you're objectively terrible?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 01:05:37 am »
as for the origin of the universe, I believe I have the answer to what caused it: nothing. because time (which really means movement here.) didn't exist. There was no opportunity for anything to cause it or be before.

This isn't a new idea at all. The problem is that the big bang theory is usually misunderstood - it's not a question of how the universe began, it's how the universe began to expand.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 03:26:49 am »

But what if you're objectively terrible?

Then I guess that's your purpose.

An apple cannot be an orange. However an apple can be an apple pie.  ;)

I don't technically believe in the self, so the idea of being someone else is silly. which is also why nothing happens after you die, because there is nobody for it to happen to.

Well the question is what is one's self? This is one of the major focuses of eastern philosophies. And goes back to the nothing and everything way of thinking. There is no spoon if you will and you are the spoon and everything else.

Personally I think we are all made of of the same stuff anyways. So it would not be so surprising if everything in the multi-universe was one thing. And the self is just an illusion. However it is rather sad that if you die and there is nothing that your experiences and memories are lost. Well in the sense that the "you" that thinks you are "you" no longer exists.

On a side note I wonder if genes can have genetic memories and if future offspring can recall experiences of their ancestors. This would be a possible explanation to past life regressions. To where they did not have a past life in that there is a soul but genetic memories that still exist from their ancestors. Thus in a weird sense a part of them since they share the same DNA.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 03:40:01 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 02:24:12 pm »

This isn't a new idea at all.

I know. I wasn't claiming I came up with it. I just thought I'd mention it because it seemed relevant.

On a side note I wonder if genes can have genetic memories and if future offspring can recall experiences of their ancestors.
They cannot. There is no storage place for memories in DNA for or mechanism of storage.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 02:27:35 pm by Crazen »
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 02:43:22 pm »

On a side note I wonder if genes can have genetic memories and if future offspring can recall experiences of their ancestors.
They cannot. There is no storage place for memories in DNA for or mechanism of storage.

What about Epigenomes? In mice they have shown that what the parents eat can influence how their offspring and their offspring's offspring genes are expressed.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 05:01:08 pm »
How can a guy smart enough to understand epigenetics be stupid enough to believe in past lives?

Anyway Crazen had it right with that first piece of advice and we can all stop arguing about the meaning of life now.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 05:08:43 pm »
How can a guy smart enough to understand epigenetics be stupid enough to believe in past lives?

Wikipedia.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 08:55:13 pm »

I assume you mean me. I never said I believed in past lives. However if there was a provable explanation to why people claim this beyond them "making it up" then that not be helpful to science?

Same goes for ghosts. What if ghosts are just echos of the past or a view into another universe? One where the "Branes" go too close to each other and thus allow for sound or images to be seen or heard in the other universe.

All I am saying is that some unexplained phenomenon could possibly be explained in the future once we know more about how the universe works. The truth is normally even stranger than what people make up anyways.

EDIT: Also please do not belittle me. I genuinely am curious about these things and would like to know more. Both subjects I only know a little about. Which is why I am bringing up these questions. I know enough that there is so much I do not know. Many of you on this forum are quite smart. Which is is why I decided to even participate in this conversion.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 02:12:31 pm by Hydromancerx »

Online Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 09:35:25 pm »
I wish I had something to contribute here, but being something that I guess you would call a Nihilist/Existentialist Physicalist doesn't leave much room for "inherent" meaning in life.

Just live. There isn't much of any good alternative on your part, so you might as well keep on going.

I guess the closest thing I can say is that there isn't a meaning in life. Just go. Be by doing. To work is to live.

I find it interesting how I seem to have come to the same conclusion as GD.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 09:36:49 pm »
Same goes for ghosts. What if ghosts are just echos of the past or a view into another universe? One where the "Branes" go too close to each other and thus allow for sound or images to be seen or herd in the other universe.

LOL

-Astrophysics Major

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 02:13:00 pm »
 :(

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 02:23:07 pm »
 :D

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2012, 02:32:10 pm »
Hydro just got schooled so hard that his children will remember it.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.