Author Topic: I have discovered the meaning of life!  (Read 5236 times)

Offline Great Distance

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
I have discovered the meaning of life!
« on: April 11, 2012, 02:57:58 pm »
And no one is ever going to shake my belief. As proof, I made this thread and invite you all to disagree with me, so that I can even further prove that I can reject all your opinions and hold onto my own!

My belief is that what you're supposed to do in life is to work hard and have a goal. Overcome your fears and don't be afraid of success. But don't make rash decisions and be careful. Always think in the long term.

Oh, and worrying about wearing yourself out and working too hard is mostly bull**** and does more harm than good. So rather just work hard first and if that's not good enough, consider what must be done.

And then work hard some more.

And also it's not really that important to do something you love, it's more important to love what you do. Doesn't really matter which comes first. You can find good things in stuff you hate. You can learn to love that stuff.

I also think that it's important to appreciate all sorts of people, because the world needs all sorts to get by. Just make sure you are the better sorts. If you want to be happy with yourself.

Actually, happiness isn't all that important, either. There are other feelings that can make you feel good about yourself. Life is never unending bliss. You can find happiness in working hard all day and then in the end of the knowing that you can sleep well, having worked hard all day.

Getting stuff done makes you feel powerful, and while that doesn't necessarily imply happiness, it's a pretty good feeling nevertheless.

Some people might think you are a dick because you just want to feel powerful, but hey, can't please everyone. If they truly knew you and didn't judge you based on their misbeliefs, they'd probably like you! Just be nice and that'll get you far.

So, to summarize: Get stuff done, be nice and listen to people, agree and then do whatever you were going to do anyway, because you need to get your stuff done.

And to re-summarize: Get stuff done.

Offline Celdur

• Baseball SuperStar
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: I have discovered the meaning of life!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:02:46 pm »
thats not the meaning of life, thats just some...personal guideline thing.
not that its a bad one i suppose.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Great Distance

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:13:18 pm »
Well, it's my personal meaning!

Offline Raz

• Marble Madness Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:15:27 pm »
Sounds like the perfect minion worker.

Offline Ultimatum

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 03:15:43 pm »
Some mildly amusing words.

Offline Didero

• Arm Wrestling Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 03:45:02 pm »
Are you having trouble coping with your study workload? I'm sure you're not the only one, and most if not all universities have mentors or study groups or the like that can help with that.

And forcing yourself to like stuff you don't, won't last long and will put a strain on you. It doesn't sound like it'd be a good idea.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 04:13:24 pm »
What is the point of all that hard work when you're just gonna die anyway and it will all be for nothing?

The meaning of life, is to live a good one.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:18:52 pm by Gorman Conall »

Online PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 05:10:33 pm »
Rock on with your bad self, GD.

Also, keep alert. One of these days I'll be out there to visit you to see how things are going. You will be graded.

Offline Spooky Tesla

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • Big style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 05:44:54 pm »
There is no intrinsic meaning to life, just lots of little meanings.
I'll kiss anything that moves.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Bard's Tale Troubadour
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 05:46:13 pm »
Just curious, you don't happen to be enrolled in a poly-sci or philosophy class right now, are you?

-Lego

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 03:19:40 am »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 04:02:18 am »
There is no meaning of life. You are just a speck in the multiverse of existence. ... or was it 42?

Offline Great Distance

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 03:33:42 pm »
Well, I guess it's strange I was so sure of my stance on this yesterday evening; I was completely assured I'd be getting stuff done because of my new-found philosophy and then I'd just work all day every day without a problem, but strangely today I was so exhausted ever since waking up that I hardly got anything done.

But it was just a momentarily lapse for sure. I'd forgotten to put on deodorant, so I felt kind of awkward. And then I drank too much coffee and too little water, so I was dehydrated. And then one of our teaching assistants told me I was doing pretty good on our assignment so far and I was getting stuff done, so I decided maybe I don't need to get so much stuff done today. And I'm moving this weekend (I may have said somewhere I had already moved, but that's actually when I got the keys to the new apartment but it's almost the same thing, and nobody cares anyway), so I had to arrange some of that stuff. Right after drinking lots and lots of water! And that actually made me feel better.

So today was not so great because I was feeling uncomfortable in my clothes and I was dehydrated. My belief is not shaken and I am not overworked.

Just curious, you don't happen to be enrolled in a poly-sci or philosophy class right now, are you?

-Lego

Nah, I just spent some time reading a blog where some guy was interviewing old people for life advice and "work hard" was one piece of advice that was often mentioned. Some Cracked articles have also led me to think the same thing, and there was actually a study in which it was found that conscentious people lived longer. And then I read some Wikipedia articles.

A few weeks ago I also read some snippet about Buddhism about how life is suffering (though apparently that's not exactly the right word, but there is no correct English translation) and how not getting what you want causes suffering. And also getting what you don't want causes suffering. And so does getting what you do want eventually cause suffering, because you're going to lose that thing anyway. So my take on it is that you shouldn't really want anything, just do what you're supposed to do and be happy with the small positive surprises in life.

Anyway, it's not really all that simple, but yep, I believe I'm onto something here.

Rock on with your bad self, GD.

Also, keep alert. One of these days I'll be out there to visit you to see how things are going. You will be graded.

Wait, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me? Just for clarity, so I won't feel like an idiot the next time I talk to you

Are you having trouble coping with your study workload? I'm sure you're not the only one, and most if not all universities have mentors or study groups or the like that can help with that.

And forcing yourself to like stuff you don't, won't last long and will put a strain on you. It doesn't sound like it'd be a good idea.

Actually, the more I think about it, I always really liked this stuff! I'd just forced myself to believe that I don't, because I didn't want to like doing what I'm supposed to be doing. I'm defiant like that. I also thought going into graphic design would be the answer, but now I'm pretty sure there would be plenty people there as well, who do not like the same stuff as I and would want me to do my work differently. And then I'd once again be defiant and think "OK I DON'T LIKE MAGAZINE DESIGNS BUT ILLUSTRATION'S REALLY WHERE IT'S AT" and then when someone would ask me to use some illustration style I don't like I'd be like "OK WELL I DON'T DO CHILDREN'S ILLUSTRATIONS I ONLY DO FANTASY ILLUSTRATIONS" etc. And in the end I would only like doing such specific things that I would not earn a living that way.

And then I realised, a lot of the drawings I've done I did just because I thought that's what people would like to see. But I put something of my own in them. I put something I liked in them. And I can do the same in landscape architecture. Find out what people want from me, find some reason why I would like to do it and then do it.

This realisation was also precedented by the realisation that most times, when I truly do what I find enjoyable all the way through, the end result usually sucks. I've done some drawings I've enjoyed immensely but afterwards I find the only good thing about them was the process of doing them. The result, however, may not be much to look at. Sometimes I've written some essays I've really liked but the teacher really didn't. Whereas, when I suffer for my work, however bad the result may seem to me, other people will usually like it. I get better grades, etc.

For the first time in my life I hardly studied for an exam recently. And I actually found the whole process kind of fun. I didn't feel stressed out at all and just read the parts that seemed vaguely interesting, and mostly skimmed through. I didn't expect a great result, bull****ted my way through the exam, and I didn't even feel bad for doing such a bad job. In fact I felt pretty good! Booyah, look at me just passing this exam without any worries whatsoever. And pass I did. On a scale from 1 to 5 (five is the best) I got 2. And even that felt okay.

But you know what? I wouldn't be in this university today if I had dealt with all exams the same way. Doing a terrible job may feel good now, but it will be bad in the long term. So do a good job now and go through some pain, it'll be better in the long term!

And you may say I should just enjoy life and relax and such, but what if doing a good job is what makes me enjoy life? What if knowing that I'm doing a good job and I'm doing what is required of me is exactly what I want from life? Maybe that's my goal. I woulf feel unfulfilled giving up working hard for something like a boyfriend or a family or partying or hanging out with people. And I would feel doubly unfulfilled if I gave up hard work in favor of wasting time online and accomplishing pretty much nothing. I would end up in a boring job that dulls my brains and boring free time that I would spend feeling like I never accomplished anything. Or I would end up in a stressful job that I hate, but one that is also far less meaningful to me than the jobs that may be available to me after doing well in university.

So I guess achieving something is what I want from my life. And I don't think that can happen any other way than through some hard work and a little bit of suffering. Heck, I kind of like some hard work and a little bit of suffering. Today, when I didn't feel so great, was mostly when I wasn't doing anything. As soon as I started dealing with one of the things I knew I had to do, I felt good.

So I suppose I gotta do what I gotta do. There's no other way. So I do what I must and when I'm done or at least started, I feel better!

Offline Spooky Tesla

• Big style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 06:02:37 pm »
There is no meaning of life. You are just a speck in the multiverse of existence. ... or was it 42?

Oh!

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 07:04:14 pm »
Well, hydro, that's awfully boring, isn't it?

My belief in how to have a successful life is be born rich, coast through life, catching all the breaks.

worked wonders for me.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 09:29:37 pm »
Well, hydro, that's awfully boring, isn't it?

Quite the contrary, if there is no meaning of life then you can live however you want to rather than having to follow an ultimate meaning of life.

I mean really if I am just a speck in a huge multiverse then imagine all the things one can do!! So much to discover, explore and learn! There is no way I could possibly experience everything in one lifetime! Thus you should never be bored since there is always something to do or discover!

For instance asking "How did life start?", "What happens when you die?" or "How do other lifeforms experience the universe?" These questions and more can be still asked even if there is no "meaning" of life.

No more meaning than asking "Why was I born as me no not someone else?" or "Why did humans end up as the dominant species of Earth rather than some other species?".

In short I do not think you need a specific "meaning of life". However you life can still have "meaning". If that makes sense. If not then 42 is the meaning of life.  :P

EDIT: Here I got it. If you want a meaning of life then here it is.

"The meaning of life is to be you."  ;)

I like it and I am sticking to it.

Because that's all you can be. If you were not you then you would not be you, would you?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:59:54 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 02:34:57 am »
I agree with the spirit of your argument, but not with your conclusion, entirely.

I'm not a speck in the multiverse to me. To me I'm me and thats all I'll ever be.

Huh, that also responds to your next bit (which I hadn't read when I wrote that).
I don't technically believe in the self, so the idea of being someone else is silly. which is also why nothing happens after you die, because there is nobody for it to happen to.

"Why did humans end up as the dominant species of Earth rather than some other species?".
by being in the right place at the right time with the right set of abilities for that place and time.

as to where life comes from, I'll put it this way: think about what happens if you apply natural selection to everything in the universe.  Life is one of a very few things that actively tries to continue existing.

as for the origin of the universe, I believe I have the answer to what caused it: nothing. because time (which really means movement here.) didn't exist. There was no opportunity for anything to cause it or be before.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 03:20:39 am »

But what if you're objectively terrible?

Offline Spooky Tesla

• Big style.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 04:05:37 am »
as for the origin of the universe, I believe I have the answer to what caused it: nothing. because time (which really means movement here.) didn't exist. There was no opportunity for anything to cause it or be before.

This isn't a new idea at all. The problem is that the big bang theory is usually misunderstood - it's not a question of how the universe began, it's how the universe began to expand.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 06:26:49 am »

But what if you're objectively terrible?

Then I guess that's your purpose.

An apple cannot be an orange. However an apple can be an apple pie.  ;)

I don't technically believe in the self, so the idea of being someone else is silly. which is also why nothing happens after you die, because there is nobody for it to happen to.

Well the question is what is one's self? This is one of the major focuses of eastern philosophies. And goes back to the nothing and everything way of thinking. There is no spoon if you will and you are the spoon and everything else.

Personally I think we are all made of of the same stuff anyways. So it would not be so surprising if everything in the multi-universe was one thing. And the self is just an illusion. However it is rather sad that if you die and there is nothing that your experiences and memories are lost. Well in the sense that the "you" that thinks you are "you" no longer exists.

On a side note I wonder if genes can have genetic memories and if future offspring can recall experiences of their ancestors. This would be a possible explanation to past life regressions. To where they did not have a past life in that there is a soul but genetic memories that still exist from their ancestors. Thus in a weird sense a part of them since they share the same DNA.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:40:01 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 05:24:12 pm »

This isn't a new idea at all.

I know. I wasn't claiming I came up with it. I just thought I'd mention it because it seemed relevant.

On a side note I wonder if genes can have genetic memories and if future offspring can recall experiences of their ancestors.
They cannot. There is no storage place for memories in DNA for or mechanism of storage.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:27:35 pm by Crazen »
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 05:43:22 pm »

On a side note I wonder if genes can have genetic memories and if future offspring can recall experiences of their ancestors.
They cannot. There is no storage place for memories in DNA for or mechanism of storage.

What about Epigenomes? In mice they have shown that what the parents eat can influence how their offspring and their offspring's offspring genes are expressed.

Offline /lurk

• Tetris Tumbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 08:01:08 pm »
How can a guy smart enough to understand epigenetics be stupid enough to believe in past lives?

Anyway Crazen had it right with that first piece of advice and we can all stop arguing about the meaning of life now.

Offline Brandonazz

• Super Mario Karter
  • Do you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 08:08:43 pm »
How can a guy smart enough to understand epigenetics be stupid enough to believe in past lives?

Wikipedia.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 11:55:13 pm »

I assume you mean me. I never said I believed in past lives. However if there was a provable explanation to why people claim this beyond them "making it up" then that not be helpful to science?

Same goes for ghosts. What if ghosts are just echos of the past or a view into another universe? One where the "Branes" go too close to each other and thus allow for sound or images to be seen or heard in the other universe.

All I am saying is that some unexplained phenomenon could possibly be explained in the future once we know more about how the universe works. The truth is normally even stranger than what people make up anyways.

EDIT: Also please do not belittle me. I genuinely am curious about these things and would like to know more. Both subjects I only know a little about. Which is why I am bringing up these questions. I know enough that there is so much I do not know. Many of you on this forum are quite smart. Which is is why I decided to even participate in this conversion.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 05:12:31 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline RiseWhirled

• Dragon Warrior Slime
  • yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2012, 12:35:25 am »
I wish I had something to contribute here, but being something that I guess you would call a Nihilist/Existentialist Physicalist doesn't leave much room for "inherent" meaning in life.

Just live. There isn't much of any good alternative on your part, so you might as well keep on going.

I guess the closest thing I can say is that there isn't a meaning in life. Just go. Be by doing. To work is to live.

I find it interesting how I seem to have come to the same conclusion as GD.

Offline Brandonazz

• Super Mario Karter
  • Do you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2012, 12:36:49 am »
Same goes for ghosts. What if ghosts are just echos of the past or a view into another universe? One where the "Branes" go too close to each other and thus allow for sound or images to be seen or herd in the other universe.

LOL

-Astrophysics Major

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 05:13:00 pm »
 :(

Offline Ultimatum

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 05:23:07 pm »
 :D
Some mildly amusing words.

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2012, 05:32:10 pm »
Hydro just got schooled so hard that his children will remember it.

Offline LadyM

• Doom Space Marine
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 01:54:01 pm »
Reminder:

Okay, please remember that some comments can hurt and it's really not okay to make a hurtful personal comment about a poster. (ie: calling someone stupid)

While you might think your joking and it's all in fun (and maybe it is) it can be taken the wrong way in text. Our community is not about hurting people. It makes others not willing to share or participate.

By the way, life is what you make of it, it doesn't really matter what you believe (ghosts, past lives, etc), there is no definite right or wrong, just be happy and love the life you have and be grateful that you have one.

Rules-LadyMpire-YouTube-Twitter
Starbound and Minecraft server: ask me

Offline Brandonazz

• Super Mario Karter
  • Do you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 02:10:56 pm »
there is no definite right or wrong

While true, that is an ethical statement, not an empirical one.

The existence of things like ghosts are scientifically testable hypotheses. Testable hypotheses are either right or wrong.

EDIT: Stupid is a poor word choice, though. Uninformed or ignorant would be more accurate.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:18:07 pm by Brandonazz »

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 03:16:50 pm »

While true, that is an ethical statement, not an empirical one.

Not true from all perpectives. Certain moral imperatives seem to be biologically harcoded.

Offline Brandonazz

• Super Mario Karter
  • Do you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 03:22:25 pm »
I didn't say that "ethics are based on nothing." I agreed that there is no definite right or wrong. If that word was missing, you would be correct to object.

Additionally, "biologically advantageous" does not mean "right."
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:24:48 pm by Brandonazz »

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 03:30:32 pm »
Well in that case we are agreed and I will not devour your children.

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 04:08:10 pm »
So I find the statement,
very true, in the empirical sense. Not sure about ethical.

In science, there is what we think we know ( to the best of our ability and information, so far) and what we don't know yet.
Thats why I love science, actually. It is so unsure of itself. Humility.

Of course, the metaphysical is not science, because there is no situation where evidence could be found against it. In other words, prove yourself wrong, and then I'll believe you.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Brandonazz

• Super Mario Karter
  • Do you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 05:13:14 pm »
very true, in the empirical sense. Not sure about ethical.

You don't have any idea what empirical means, do you?

I'd hope that's the case, because if it isn't, then you don't know what right or wrong mean.

Let me rephrase what you just said to make this more obvious for you.

we use science to model observations as best we can and therefore there is no such thing as definitely correct or incorrect

Okay, then I hypothesize that the reason the atmosphere doesn't fly off into space is because it's all tangled up in the trees.
But, as you say, there is no definite emperical right or wrong, so even if experimentally disproven, this hypothesis is never incorrect, right?

Correctness is not the same as certainty. Just because we have a theory about how some phenomena works that is our best model doesn't mean that the model isn't comprised of things which are patently true or false. Gravity is an attractive force mediated by mass. This is right. Gravity is a repulsive force mediated by ham sandwiches. This is wrong. Just because we aren't certain about the how or why does not abrogate the existence of veritably true and false things.

EDIT: Sorry for being so cranky. I didn't get much sleep last night.

I will say you are right about one thing:

Of course, the metaphysical is not science, because there is no situation where evidence could be found against it.

Assuming by "the metaphysical" you mean "philosophers talking out of their asses."
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:42:25 pm by Brandonazz »

Online martyk

• Arrgh, Me Be A Pirate!
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 05:48:22 pm »
Gravity is an attractive force mediated by mass. This is right. Gravity is a repulsive force mediated by ham sandwiches.

How do you know Brandon?  I for one adhere to the school of thought that gravity is caused by invisible ham sandwich particles floating in space that push us down onto the planet.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Brandonazz

• Super Mario Karter
  • Do you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2012, 05:55:40 pm »
Because if you take a ham sandwich into a lab that can measure forces with high precision, it will not register a lateral force at a distance that is significant enough to account for the gravitational effects observed on Earth, extrapolating outward.

Online PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2012, 06:05:04 pm »
Hi. My name is Necro. And I am right because from my perspective, I am right.

Online martyk

• Arrgh, Me Be A Pirate!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2012, 06:14:38 pm »
Because if you take a ham sandwich into a lab that can measure forces with high precision, it will not register a lateral force at a distance that is significant enough to account for the gravitational effects observed on Earth, extrapolating outward.

Perhaps we don't have enough sandwiches, or precises enough instruments.  Maybe we're looking for the wrong thing.  Since you cannot disprove my theory, you cannot tell me I'm wrong for thinking that ham sandwiches are one of most important forces in the universe.

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2012, 06:25:25 pm »
Thank you Martyk. In a round about way, that demonstrates what I mean. By being in complete oppositon to it, actually.

You cannot be proven wrong, so therefore you cannot be right

alright, my phrasing may have needed some work. And i'm using similar wording to describe two things, so it makes it sound like i'm contradicting myself. And I used the word empirical wrong.

also, I don't think you understood me.

Things are deffinatly wrong or right in reality, though human understanding has to remain humble sometimes, or we start stagnating. Humans have the potential to be wrong. The Way Things Actualy Are is allways right.

there are a few things you need to be within the realm of science. One is verifyable evidence and observation. The concept i'm most interested in though, is this:

If you can't disprove something, it can't be a scientific theory.

Example: nothing can move faster than the speed of light. All evidence we have right now supports this being true. If we observe something moving faster than the speed of light, it could be disproven. obviously, we have not, and I doubt we ever will, but that possibility it there, so it can be considered for scientific assesement. 

Okay, then I hypothesize that the reason the atmosphere doesn't fly off into space is because it's all tangled up in the trees.
But, as you say, there is no definite emperical right or wrong, so even if experimentally disproven, this hypothesis is never incorrect, right?

Correctness is not the same as certainty. Just because we have a theory about how some phenomena works that is our best model doesn't mean that the model isn't comprised of things which are patently true or false. Gravity is an attractive force mediated by mass. This is right. Gravity is a repulsive force mediated by ham sandwiches. This is wrong. Just because we aren't certain about the how or why does not abrogate the existence of veritably true and false things.as far as we know, trees do not hold the atmosphere to the earth. There is no evidence suggesting this is true.

Gravity is the accepted theory because it has the most evidence supporting it and because it could be proven wrong. So far, it has not been.

That sandwiches control gravity, I'm not sure that there is a way to disprove that, because one could allways say they do so in a way we cannot detect. That bares it from being science. also, gravity existed before ham, as far as we know.

I just realized: "I can't prove you wrong so therefore you are wrong" idea could be taken way out of context. What I mean't by that is that there is potential way to be wrong. Gravity is true as far as we know. General relativity is true as far as we know. But both could hypotheticaly be found incorrect. They wont be though, as far as I know.

As for ghosts, There is no way to disprove their existance, So they are not of science.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Brandonazz

• Super Mario Karter
  • Do you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2012, 06:34:55 pm »
alright, my phrasing may have needed some work. And i'm using similar wording to describe two things, so it makes it sound like i'm contradicting myself. And I used the word empirical wrong.

Things are deffinatly wrong or right in reality...

I accept your concession. I'm glad you learned something today.

Gravity is the accepted theory because it has the most evidence supporting it and because it could be proven wrong. So far, it has not been.

I'm not talking about the theory. I'm talking about the fact that there is some force corresponding to mass we call gravity. This is a fact.
There is no force corresponding to ham sandwiches.

Also:

If you can't disprove something, it can't be a scientific theory.

You are confusing 'theory' and 'hypothesis.'
Which is weird, because they're not even spelled similarly.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:43:20 pm by Brandonazz »

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2012, 07:23:21 pm »
Actually, I meant both. My word choice is really terrible today.

I'm not talking about the theory. I'm talking about the fact that there is some force corresponding to mass we call gravity. This is a fact.
That is the theory. But as you say if it is reality, then it is, in fact, fact

And I was talking about the theory. So I think we are actually agreeing here, just we are also stressing different things that we find important and sound similar to eachother.

your emphasising that reality is a certain way and this is fact. I agree with this.
I'm emphasising that people can be wrong about how reality is. I think we can also agree on this.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:47:46 pm by Crazen »
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Online martyk

• Arrgh, Me Be A Pirate!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2012, 07:33:50 pm »
Also, gravity existed before ham, as far as we know.

Ah the age old philosophical question.  Which came first, gravity or ham sandwiches?

Offline Detoxicated

• Tapper Barfly
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 11:12:04 am »
It is good that you have found a way which works for you. I might disagree with your words on happiness, Great Distance, as I find happiness to be the most important goal of life. So work hard and make yourself proud, thats all that counts anyway!
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2012, 12:11:49 pm »
Some people can't be happy without self respect, achievement and productive employment. :P

Offline /lurk

• Tetris Tumbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2012, 10:08:38 pm »
Well we should all learn to be happy with less.

Online PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 10:40:38 pm »
Less is more!

And you're not a millionaire in waiting. Try to enjoy life instead.

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 11:51:30 pm »
Pat, about that. As I said recently, I actually am.

But yea, happiness and all that.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Inkling

• Tyranthraxus
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2012, 12:15:43 am »
Umm, good for you then.

The Gockets, etc: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7813.0
Ink was a winner that one time but the image broke!

"If you don't notice that it sucks, then it must be good" - Chaim Gingold

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 06:33:20 am »
As for ghosts, There is no way to disprove their existance, So they are not of science.

But you could prove it right? Let say you are a mad scientist and tell you lab assistant to contact you after you kill him. If the lab assistant then comes back as a ghost to the mad scientist. But is not proven correct yet. The lab assistant's ghost must then repeatedly return upon command.

Then the test must be repeatable by others so other scientists go and kill their lab assistants and then repeat the test. After enough experiments where the lab assistance ghosts return then one could say that ghosts are real.

However while this test has not been done and repeated, there have been people who have said they want to contact the living to prove ghosts and when they died never returned. While this doesn't prove ghosts it doesn't disprove them either.

Which is why I think ghosts are not of the dead in the sense that a person dies and becomes a ghost. However one could say we just don't have the right equipment to detect ghosts. So who knows what ghosts really are.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:38:20 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 07:44:50 am »
I love debate and I love science. that makes this a good week for me.

A fleet of gravity controling ham sandwiches patrol the galaxy in their atmosphere-tangling trees. This, too cannot ever be really disproven because they could just be hiding somewhere we can't find them. So naturaly we should consider this a viable possibility for the origion of the laws of physics.

No. it's pointless to consider if they exist until you make some kind of observation suggesting they do.

Hydro...

my entire rant was about how that kind of thinking is a fallacy. Not being disproved does not make it suddenly on the table for being considered. You have to have actual evidence.

SCIENCE is more like this:
First, one observes. then, they may form a hypothesis based on those observations. then they perform experiments relating to these hyphothesese, and draw conclusion based on their results. And then you repeat this process as many times as you can to improve your understanding.

You are skipping the first step. You have to start from the point of nothing.

Also, my philosphy: Whatever floats your boat. just dont sink anybody elses. And try not to be a dick about it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:53:40 am by Crazen »
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Inkling

• Tyranthraxus
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2012, 09:25:37 am »

SCIENCE

The Gockets, etc: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7813.0
Ink was a winner that one time but the image broke!

"If you don't notice that it sucks, then it must be good" - Chaim Gingold

Offline Uroboros

• SunDog Pilot
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 09:32:06 am »
Late to the party again. Sorry about that. I was busy arranging furniture in Sims 3. Again.

What is the meaning of life? A common, but strange question.
It's a lot like asking what the speed of velocity is, or the pitch of sound.

This stuff causes me to generate an "Error:Mismatch(1)" and make various other BEEP BOOP noises. Variables can be like that when improperly handled.
The most common result to "What is the meaning of life?" is "To find the meaning of (your) life".
When the question is more refined to it's truer form : "What will make me most deeply existentially satisifed?", the only answer is : "Only you can answer this through a lifetime of searching"

It's rare a person really means to ask what the purpose of life is. They often mean to ask about the best form of self-completion, connectivity and life-satisfaction. Which is just as well, because genuinely asking about the purpose of life is an equivalent to asking the purpose of dust, shadows or wind. Life is unique in that it is the only thing capable of defining purpose.

Beep boop.

Offline Brandonazz

• Super Mario Karter
  • Do you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2012, 02:13:42 pm »
Crazen, stop pretending like you know anything about science, it hurts to read.

Hydro, there are no such things as ghosts. Cut it out.

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2012, 02:37:03 pm »
What was I wrong about?
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Neoadept

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2012, 07:38:27 pm »
*Vibrates the thread at 18.9 HZ*

This sound is on the lower edge of human hearing, and is typically ignored entirely by the conscious mind.  Instead, it transmits directly to the hind brain, and triggers an emotional response of anxiety and sadness.  It also happens to be rather close to the resonant frequency of the human eye, causing the eye to shake and deform enough to cause false images in a person's field of view.

It is also a relatively common frequency, generated by everything from fans to the shapes of certain rooms.

*Leaves and allows you to draw your own conclusions*
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Brandonazz

• Super Mario Karter
  • Do you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2012, 09:38:48 pm »
Quote from: Wikipedia
The possibility of a device that produces frequency that causes vibration of the eyeballs — and therefore distortion of vision — was apparently confirmed by the work of engineer Vic Tandy while attempting to demystify a “haunting” in his laboratory in Coventry. This “spook” was characterised by a feeling of unease and vague glimpses of a grey apparition. Some detective work implicated a newly installed extractor fan that, Tandy found, was generating infrasound of 18.9 Hz, 0.3 Hz, and 9 Hz.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2012, 09:46:27 pm »
You are skipping the first step. You have to start from the point of nothing.

Ok let to the scientific method step by step.

Question: Are Ghosts Real?
Research: People claim to see ghosts. People believe they are of dead people.
Hypothesis: If a person dies they become a Ghost.
Test Hypothesis: Kill your lab assistant. Did he become a ghost?
Analyze Evidence: If no ghost then no evidence. If a ghost appears then evidence.
Report Your Evidence: Say wither or not killing your lab assistant provided any evidence.

And based upon the evidence you get you can then ask more questions and do the steps all over again.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:50:01 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2012, 11:02:31 pm »
OK. people "seeing" "ghosts" is an observation of a sort. Fair enough. People believing in ghosts is nothing though.

And It still goes before the question, I think. you have no reason to ask if ghosts are real until after people start seeing ghosts.

Still no biological mechanism for dead bodies to leave behind ghosts, as far as I know. Though it might be possible for something to have that kind of ability (speculatively, in another universe), nothing actually does.

also, brandon, I still think were basically on the same page, I'm just not very good at communicating myself so I sound messy sometimes.

anyone else have anything to say about ghosts or can we move on? I don't think we have a problem, I'm just curious.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Online PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2012, 12:40:00 am »
No, I think we have a problem.

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2012, 01:26:36 am »
Pat, you have become really quotable lately.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Oviraptor

• Tetris Tutor
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2012, 01:46:44 am »
Lately?

Also, Hydro that is not how it works. It would go more like this:

1. People occasionally see unexplained aberrations.
2. Collect data about said aberrations.
3. Come up with a hypothesis as to why these aberrations might occur.
4. Come up with a reproducible way to test the validity of your hypothesis and test it.
5. Analyze the data generated from experiment and make a conclusion based off said data.

Do you see the difference?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:04:25 am by Oviraptor »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2012, 03:24:00 am »
Do you see the difference?

Yes, you said it. Therefore its true.  ;)

But seriously, when you say "validity" what do you mean?

Note that I do not believe in ghosts any more than I believe in bigfoot. If someday science can explain ghosts beyond what has already been said (which include a number of factors ranging from being crazy to magnets) then I will accept that like I do any other any other scientific claim (since all scientific theories can be proved wrong if a better theory disproves it).

All I am saying is we should have an open mind and let the real scientists discover things to help us all better understand the universe around us.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:33:34 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2012, 03:50:55 am »
That is a dismissal of ovi's actual (better stated than mine*) point. You replacing it with an imaginary one (appeal to authority, in this case.) he didn't even slightly suggest.

Neither will I accept the smiley face meaning your just being all tongue and cheek or something, because thats such a lame ass way of avoiding accountability for the things you say.

*I think i'll just stick to picking at other peoples arguements because i'm not great at organizing my own. Do we have a debate thread? I love this stuff. 3 years eating lunch with a creationist and now I can't stop. Wow i've posted more this week than the past several months.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2012, 01:23:52 am »
@Crazen

Your reading too much into what I said. I agree with Ovi.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:25:28 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Great Distance

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2012, 06:51:17 pm »
I just worked real hard today and came home from university after 1 AM. I feel like I made real progress with my house and garden plan and I'm going to get this done before the deadline on Friday and I'm going to get it done well.

I just feel thrilled. And I feel hopeful for the future. I feel like I could have some good, worthwhile things in my life if I work really hard. And I will appreciate all those things even more so. I want to work harder so that I can finally be of use to more people than myself. But first I have to take care of myself. I'm going to concentrate on that. I'm going to make this all work out for me. You'll see.

Offline Gec

• Rally-X Roadster
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2012, 07:17:26 pm »
You'll all see...

Offline Great Distance

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2012, 01:07:44 am »
I finished my project, went to our critique session, it went well, I felt good, then slept 13 hours straight and now I feel great.

So it's early in the morning as I sit upon a new bright spring day. What next? Well, duties never end, life goes on. Do I deserve a prize for my hard work so far? No, I've still got things to do, but I can do them knowing I have had success before, knowing that hard work is not without merits. Is that not a prize enough? The feeling you get from a job well done, and the anticipation of doing an even better job the next time. Knowing you have learned well and you have the capability to keep on learning, getting closer to your goal. Never to be perfect but to keep on reaching for perfection, like the limit of a function that forever approaches a certain value without ever reaching it, but coming infinitely close to it. All in the name of making that function usable, valuable in the higher order of mathematics, the infinite web of formalities that demands a function to have a value, it is finally regarded as having that specific value, and it is usable.

Yes, there are functions that never reach a value, but if they come infinitely close to it, it is entirely up for interpretation whether or not they can actually be regarded as having that value. If you get infinitely close, at which point could it be said you are actually there?

So I believe you may get your life's satisfaction by having an unreachable goal, knowing though you may never get to the very end, there might come a point where you are so close that some could say you did get to the end. Or at least came infinitely close to it.

Online PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2012, 01:40:11 am »
I like your writing, Ms. Distance. :)

Offline Oviraptor

• Tetris Tutor
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2012, 02:07:54 am »
So basically you're taking the limit Life as it approaches Goal.

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2012, 01:32:11 am »
Not to dredge it up again, but I finally found the word I needed in that discussion before: Falsifiable. More or less my favorite concept of science.

Also, ice cream. Ice cream kicks ass. If we all just when out for ice cream instead of going to war, things would be a lot more delicious.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Oviraptor

• Tetris Tutor
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2012, 01:33:29 am »
Now that's what I call a sticky situation.

Offline Kitkat

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2012, 01:56:05 am »
Maybe the meaning of life is to discover our own individual meaning along the way?
Just thought I'd drop by and say hello. :P
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino
And The Ni'Calls

Online PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2012, 01:59:58 am »
Here is life's meaning:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boM0dlTccxY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boM0dlTccxY</a>

Courtesy of The Rotisserie Channel (no really, look us up!)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2012, 02:01:56 am »
Pat, you should have warned us that was NSFW.

Offline Great Distance

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2012, 04:59:16 pm »
Hey guys, so I guess I sort of really enjoy sitting around in the sun and watching the birds fly by, and also chatting with friends and ice cream and what else.

Oh hey, I also like spending time on internet forums, talking to strangers! I like taking photos of myself and I like making avatars. Let's do that! I like concentrating on my looks. You know what I also like? Cooking well! Oh yes, I want to buy some food that actually requires using something other than a microwave, and I want to use spices and all sorts of non-essential things that do nothing except make it more enjoyable.

You know why? Because life is kind of good! And good things come of doing good things, right? So if I'm enjoying something, I must be doing something right!

And working hard is much easier when you know you're living a good life while you're at it. While you may need a goal in life, you also need a motivation. And knowing you deserve some kind of reward in between your work is a great motivation! If you deserve a reward, then your hard work must be worth doing! And then you can do it again the following day, knowing that going through some trouble always worked out before! You'll know, in the end of the day, that you can go to sleep in peace and wake up rested the following day.

Life goes on. It doesn't get better by removing the goal or everything except for the goal. You need a balance. Having a good time between work hours boosts your performance during work hours as well! Boosting your performance during your work hours boosts your performance during off hours as well! It's win-win!

Online PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2012, 10:01:15 pm »
It's important to do something nice for yourself every now and again.

Also you took your avatar picture too late. You were supposed to take it while you were IN the shower. Not after... sheesh! ::)

Offline Great Distance

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2012, 02:26:34 pm »
Yay, I'm studying for an exam while sitting on a rock by the seaside at sunset.

Hot air balloons!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:29:51 pm by Great Distance »