Author Topic: People Are Still Reading Spore  (Read 4045 times)

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
People Are Still Reading Spore
« on: March 08, 2012, 11:26:58 pm »
Are you kidding me? People are still reading spore? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? that's just , what? Are you serious? What could people possibly still be learning about the game that they have to find a 7 year old speculative thread? WHAT? Why?

Can anyone explain this ridiculousness?

I'm not talking about the newer stuff, I'm talkin when there are people on threads that we haven't even discussed in half a decade.
To be honest though, I get overly excited when i see someone has stopped on one of our RP threads.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:33:59 pm by eropS »

No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: People Are Still Reading Spore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 11:41:02 pm »
Don't you?

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:46:35 pm »
While I would love to say yes and make it seem satirical so as to avoid me being a jackass, but alas, a simple cursory glance at my 'By activity' nothing spore is listed so I would just be called a liar.

So I chose this option, but yeah i find people reading threads about a 5 year old game and the thread was made 7 years ago quite funny. (Not like, haha they so sad, but I just find the situation pretty interesting and comical.) I'm sorry if you found it offensive I didn't mean to.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:51:54 pm by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 01:29:34 am »
It's quite simple. They are bots from search engines indexing the internet.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 01:51:37 am »
@eropS

I was being sarcastic. However I will go there now and then to look up old info. Same goes for my old Sim Caveman and other forum games. Thus its more to look up stuff I want to know the answer to than to read old topics for fun.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:18:49 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 06:33:24 am »
I miss Spore and those days of waiting. I actually liked the game.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 03:30:56 pm »
I miss Spore and those days of waiting. I actually liked the game.
I agree. Way I look at it, while Spore was quite disappointing compared to what was announced, the procedural generation was pretty advanced, albet curbed back a bit from what it was originally intended to be. If you look at it for what it is and not what it was intended to be, it's not all that bad.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 03:51:36 pm »
Spore is a fun set of creation tools with a limited sandbox afterwards to play around with what you made.
The sad thing is that few things you made had any discernible difference from other creations, other than visual. Then somebody had the bright idea of culling most of the visual effects when your camera isn't squashed flat against the item (buildings, spaceships, vehicles), without an option to change the viewing range.

Though it did succeed in stoking people's imaginations. It was awesome to see people scribbling with their various equivilents of crayons and pens, doodling their ideas and awesome plans like the giddy little children we are. Lets face it, that childish part of you rarely ever leaves completely. Still, so much wasted potential...

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 04:54:27 pm »
Personaly I don't look at what it was or what it was intended to be. I think about what it should have been.

And all things considered, they had the technology to do it right. We've had it for almost a decade now.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 01:55:52 am »
Well I think there were 2 "spores" the pre-spore online community and the post-spore online community. Everything in pre-spore was awesome. It was a golden age of creativity, especially on the forum. Post-spore had some cool stuff but was tainted by disappointment, loss of interest and bitterness.

I am actually glad the game took so long to be made so we could get an extended period of time to be creative and hyped about the game. If they ever make a Spore 2 perhaps the same type of thing could happen. But I suspect most are jaded by the 1st experience not to expect so much from a sequel.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 06:05:18 am »
I remembered when you came up with the nauceans, and I was like:
This guy is doing the right thing, awesome, I shall join too.
There was also some jealousy though, you had the art skills and you were the first, at least on the forum.

Also without the pre spore era, Sagan 4 probably never would have come to exist. I should come back to Sagan 4, but I find most creatures right now to be very dull, which turns me off slightly to do so... Hmmm

Urist McDetoxicated cancels work: Thinking about Working on Sagan 4 again
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 03:32:10 pm »
Also without the pre spore era, Sagan 4 probably never would have come to exist. I should come back to Sagan 4, but I find most creatures right now to be very dull, which turns me off slightly to do so... Hmmm

Well that's why you have to come in and evolve them to be cool. Even the dullest species can become cool with enough generations. Likewise even the coolest species can become dull with enough generations.

At the moment most species were done to balance in the ecosystem. This means some are dull (ex. various genus groups of microbes). However some I have tried to make cool. Like this one the Drake Bubbleskin. It evolved from the "shrews" which as you probbly know was a group we tried to get rid of because of how much they were like mammals (warm blood, live birth, pouches, earth-like body plan).

Since the ice age came and went it had to adapt. Instead of fur or feather or blubber I made this linage evolve bubble wrap-like skin, hence the name bubble-skin. These dead skin cells insulate it from the cold. In addition it has 3 pairs of eyes which can "see" in different ways. One in normal light waves from red to violet. Another eye just in infrared (aka heat vision). And the last set of eyes can pick up the weak bio-electric signal that species put out.

Lastly I kept much of the other adaptions such as its still a blood drinker, is warm blooded, has a pouch, etc. This one just has a cool coloration and has expanded its range a bit to warmer biomes. This is a lot of potential for this linage now despite its very Earth-like ancestors.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 04:24:42 pm »
Has the sagan4 wiki been updated, i found it quite difficult to find what i wanted back in the day!
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 09:06:15 pm »
Well we are still slow on updating the last 2 generations but other than that it should be updated. Those not on the wiki yet are in the submission section.

Offline Gec

• Defender Devotee
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 07:03:04 pm »
I still can never find any motivation to anything for Sagan 4. I don't really see much appeal for speculative evolution and world building if everything is just so limited to drawing a diagrammatic picture and all these stats.

Nowadays I just prefer to contemplate developing characters and making a comic inspired from all the history we made. Making a story. Making characters that I can market. :P

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 07:33:36 pm »
Royalty check, please.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Gec

• Defender Devotee
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 07:35:23 pm »
And that is where I start replacing certain intellectual properties that are not mine. :P

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 12:20:08 am »
I still can never find any motivation to anything for Sagan 4. I don't really see much appeal for speculative evolution and world building if everything is just so limited to drawing a diagrammatic picture and all these stats.

Nowadays I just prefer to contemplate developing characters and making a comic inspired from all the history we made. Making a story. Making characters that I can market. :P

Not all drawing is about money. Sometimes its just for the fun of it.  ;)

Offline Gec

• Defender Devotee
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 06:14:19 am »
Oh of course not, I'm just being funny. :P

But yeah, I like cartoons. I like comics. Naturally that's what I would prefer to do.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 12:23:30 pm »
Oh of course not, I'm just being funny. :P

Thats not for you to judge sonny boy.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 09:13:30 am »
I miss the topics that took one creature and expanded upon in every way, including language and government.