Author Topic: SimCity 5  (Read 26613 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: SimCity 5
« Reply #210 on: March 10, 2013, 04:27:15 pm »
Hey Pat give Sims 3 some credit for finally making Sims which are actually fat.

Sorry I can't hear you over everyone buying the same game and ten expansion packs FOR THE THIRD GODDAMN TIME.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2013, 04:29:19 pm »
Except Sims 3 isn't set in Friends.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Petreak

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Petreak's Graphics and Stuff!
« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2013, 05:46:13 pm »
Maxis had nothing to do with the Sims 3. They worked on the Sims 1 and 2.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2013, 06:04:43 pm »
Hey Pat give Sims 3 some credit for finally making Sims which are actually fat.

Sorry I can't hear you over everyone buying the same game and ten expansion packs FOR THE THIRD GODDAMN TIME.

You have a point. I still have Sims 2 installed with lots of custom content too. Sims 3 is overrated. I am perfectly happy with the Sims 2.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2013, 08:05:25 pm »
So now there is this moddable, community driven, DRM free, Single/Multi Player game called Civitas.

???

I dunno, Hydro.

Seems like a scam to me.   :-\

You're better off waiting for Boomtown back at Simtrop.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 10, 2013, 08:33:50 pm »
I bought Sims 3, crashes more than Russian fighter planes at air shows... haven't gone back since.

-Lego

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #216 on: March 11, 2013, 09:52:22 am »

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 11, 2013, 12:14:37 pm »
Ugh.

I am in awe that outlets are so focused on this narrative of 'the DRM is what is wrong with SimCity 5'. Can people talk about the very real issues with gameplay and why THAT makes the game broken? This online stuff will be fixed and smoothed over well enough, I am afraid the end result will be 'Hey EA fixed their server issues, go buy and play this game whos main problem was connectivity!'. I mean it's the main problem right now in some ways, but the game has actual game-play issues that people aren't addressing because of this DRM nonsense.

Where is the outrage for ****ty EMS AI? City plots that can be filled in an hour? Regions that look artificial due to plains/forest between arbitrary building cutoff points? Lack of mass transit options? Lack of policies and city management options? (Pretty much a lack of options in general). How are people not upset they have a SimCity Lite?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:17:47 pm by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #218 on: March 11, 2013, 12:18:54 pm »
I tried to play this game at a friend's place. We couldn't get into the servers.

Came back the next day and he had been able to get on but the city that he had worked on no longer functioned properly because apparently EA turned off a bunch of his city hall stuff. And then we got booted from the server about 20 minutes later.

I've been hearing around that workers are bugged beyond belief and render the game almost unplayable, but I haven't been able to get the game to work long enough to experience that. *shrug*

But I think the DRM focus is very important, erops. Even if the game is flawed, the DRM represents an industry standard that the industry has been trying to convince us about for the better part of a decade. This kind of stuff does not work. It has never worked. And it will never work. It's unnecessary. Publishers need more respect for gamers and gamers need more respect for themselves. After so many years of trying to get people to listen, now people are paying their full, undivided attention. And now you're TIRED of arguing about DRM?

I understand the game is flawed, but let's chalk this one up as a win and press the issue until they capitulate. This is a golden opportunity to stop crappy DRM schemes like this.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 11, 2013, 12:31:42 pm »
How sure can you even be that this is a 'win'?

My expectation is that EA will continue down this path and use this event to just do a 'better' always-on DRM online scheme next time. They have proven over time that they do not care much about what 'journalists' or public outcry seems to think and I am lead to believe they will continue this trend. EA games will have always on DRM and people will choose whether or not they want to put up with it (they will, clearly). It doesn't work I agree, but people clearly do not care.

I see this as a futile argument because these corporations are going to do what they want; while EA's blunder will hopefully serve as a warning to other, smaller companies hoping to do a similar scheme, I think EA/Activision/Ubisoft will continue down this path. Hence, why I think this is pointless; calling them out will only change how they implement the DRM next time, not whether or not they will have DRM.

I guess it could be argued that gameplay isnt being discussed since being able to actually play is still an issue; but at this point enough people have played and have an idea of what is wrong with the game it should still be addressed. Again, the fear is that once this connectivity issue is resolved people will hail it as 'Yay the problem is over, now we have nothing but this great game since the main problem was the server issues!' And then boom, gangbusters on the sales and EA couldn't care less about how poor the gameplay is or what they did wrong.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if some of this tech is used for TS4 and some sort of massive online integration that 'enchances gameplay with multiplayer!'.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:37:38 pm by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #220 on: March 11, 2013, 12:40:26 pm »
You're right. There are a lot of people (too many, if you ask me) that will gladly take EA's response, eat it up, and ask for more. It's maddening that so many people would rather buy increasingly-inferior products than take the time to demand accountability and quality from the people publishing and designing the game.

And believe you me, the gameplay DOES need to be fixed. Anyone that says this game is good just as a game (if you put DRM to the side) is delusional. See, the worst part is that they had to have seen this coming. They knew their servers were going to crash. They knew they would be unable to sustain this. If they didn't, that's almost MORE unsettling because just about everyone else DID see it coming.

It's annoying all around. Anyway, EA is on my list with Ubisoft and Activision now. I have zero intention of buying anything they make anymore unless it meets my standards. You know, some companies you can give the benefit of the doubt because they tend not to screw us over, but man... the bigger players have no sense of their role in this industry. That or they just don't care.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 11, 2013, 12:53:35 pm »
EA got on my list after ME3's ending (which was building with Dragon Age 2's general mediocrity in everything but storytelling)... The fact they let that kind of thing ship to actual people, sigh. Turned one of my favorite franchises into something I can't even be bothered to pick up anymore, and that blows.

I haven't been able to encapsulate my feelings but your "that so many people would rather buy increasingly-inferior products than take the time to demand accountability and quality from the people publishing and designing the game," is pretty damn accurate. It's like these games are getting shallower as time goes on which to me seems so backwards; and yet it just keeps happening and other people see it happening and yet few companies are doing anything to correct it.

Shoutout to Bioshock: Infinite as the next over-sold piece of mediocrity where the gameplay seemingly has regressed or stagnated!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 11, 2013, 12:56:17 pm »
erops how dare you badmouth Bioshock: Infinite. It is pushing waifu technology to its absolute limit!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
Re: GS SimCity (2013) Community Game (Sign Up!)
« Reply #223 on: March 11, 2013, 01:06:40 pm »
Can't go back to 4 if you have played 5, sorry...  :P

You are part of the problem.

Well, thank you, Pat.  ::)

I actually like it when people try something new, even if its not perfect in the beginning. That is why I supported Spore and why I am glad they have made GlassBox. Development like that is expensive and people take risks doing it. They are free to use the business model they want. I don't understand why people feel they are entitled to something, just because they want it.
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #224 on: March 11, 2013, 01:06:46 pm »
I have zero interest in BioShock Infinite. I'm not sure what it is. Nothing about it really appeals to me. And I really liked the first and second BioShock. Oddly enough BS2 was my personal favorite because the gameplay felt more varied (even though it had a craptillion hoard mode segments) and was generally more fun to play. I dunno though... Infinite. It seems like it's missing something and I just can't put my finger on it.