Author Topic: SimCity 5  (Read 27128 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: SimCity 5
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2012, 03:22:02 pm »
Nice SpaceOddity. And yes i do still read your blog. I love the stuff you post, be it video games or science!

SimEarth was very difficult to master (non of my worlds became stable) which I find interesting in itself. Too hard for a modern game I guess, but that is part of the fascination: can something along the same lines be done, in a way that is less frustrating.  8)

One of the tricks I learned is that if you lead the Sim Earth simulation run it will stabilize itself. It will even make sentient life by itself.

"When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all." -God (From Futurama)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:26:39 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2012, 04:08:09 pm »
The thing I just realized is awesome about the trailer is the way that some of the classic ploppables, like the nuclear power plant, seems scalable, with individual pieces being but together.

I am a little nervous about the emphasis they put on ploppable buildings in the game though...
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2012, 04:55:08 pm »
They said in the AMA that you've still got the usual RCI zoning (which is apparently gridless now) and the usual power plant/fire depot/police depot plopping as before.

Quote from: Asker
The unveiling trailer suggested to me that all buildings will be dropped specifically into place, as opposed to placing traditional zoning (Residential, Commercial, Industrial) which grows more unpredictably and dynamically. Will the game still utilize traditional zone placement?

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I really hope there will be traditional zoning because it allows your city to grow more organically instead of feeling lifeless and static.
Quote from: Ocean goddamn Quigley
Yeah, you still zone for RC & I (among other things) and things construct in them. You plop civic buildings (like water towers and police stations) that effect the Sims’ buildings. The biggest change is that zoning isn’t on the “grid” anymore. Now that we’ve got curvy roads, zoning is all road-relative.

Gridless zoning could be neato. I kinda always wanted that anyway, to let the game figure out how it all fills in.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2012, 05:14:13 pm »
I hope it doesn't leave lots of oddly-shaped gaps between buildings and roads.

*gets park filler tool ready*

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2012, 08:04:57 pm »
Was the anything about the moddablility of this version of Sim City? I know SC4 has a huge amount of downloadable third party content, but with EA getting more and more paranoid...
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 09:09:11 pm »
Back with the original Sim City (which had a password code back then) my dad would make roadless cities. All of the cities were connected with rail and he never had any traffic problems because there were no cars! I wonder if that will be possible in Sim City 5.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2012, 12:56:25 am »
Your dad was quite smart.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2012, 08:46:34 am »
I hope they keep the shanty towns that I've been hearing about. SC4 always felt kind of incomplete for me because of a lack of informal settlements.

In any case, I wonder how to make tunnels this time around. That, and bridges. I've always found the lack of standard land bridges and under-bridge roads to be kind of odd.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2012, 10:05:44 am »
AWESOME. Honestly i hope that you will be able to build regions as in sc4, I had a revival of SC4 last year, building a huge region from scratch (it was somewhat like panama) I had a huge business town, some rich people cities, and obviously industrial molochs. I would like a more seamless aproach though. I agree with yuu on the matter of shanty towns, it would be quite interesting to bulldoze them to see all the protesters tearing your town. Oh yea and if you still can't build roads under bridges I will be like "FOOLS, there's plenty of roads built under bridges all over the world, do it already"

This is the best news of videogames since I first heard about spore.

Also: Gauphastus youre german?
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2012, 11:33:22 am »
Ja. Er ist ein Hamburger.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2012, 11:53:57 am »
He does make a lot of burgers.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2012, 06:06:36 pm »
Gauph is delicious and moist and covered with cheese and mayonnaise.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2012, 10:35:03 pm »
Mayonnaise is disgusting. I hope he doesn't sully his supple body with such dubious condiments.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2012, 05:55:39 am »
Lol whut!
So back on topic, I would love to play this thing already. I would build a region bigger and better than anything seen before, with thirty million people, a nice system of transportation, and a thriving upper class in classy condos.
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2012, 09:54:37 am »
As long as there is an Origin-free version I'm right there with you, man.