Author Topic: SimCity 5  (Read 27117 times)

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
Re: SimCity 5
« Reply #270 on: March 14, 2013, 02:39:20 pm »
Way to be realistic, SimCity. 2000 is still my favorite.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #271 on: March 14, 2013, 02:48:40 pm »
I had a population of over 207 thousand when the tornado hit.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 14, 2013, 03:30:21 pm »
What was your workforce population?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 14, 2013, 07:47:22 pm »
I enjoy it quite a bit as it is, I don't care about the wonky population numbers. I had zero expectations that this would be an amazing simulator or some other nonsense, and I have no interest in playing a perfect city simulator. I don't expect a game containing a large number of entities all moving about to have amazing AI when it comes to pathfinding. It blows Simcity Societies out of the damn water.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 15, 2013, 01:43:04 am »
It blows Simcity Societies out of the damn water.
That's a bit of a low standard.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 15, 2013, 02:48:00 am »
I love the people at Maxis and still would want to work there. I grew up with great Maxis games and I am sad to see what EA has done to my favorite game company. I am not even sure if EA realizes what they are doing. Would Maxis have been as successful without EA? Its hard to say.
The Maxis you loved doesn't exist anymore and has been fully absorbed into EA proper. They only use the name to draw in nostalgic customers.

Hell, it's been like this for a long time now. Spore, Sims 3, Sims 2... All cash cows.

Hey guys, just saw this on r/simcity over at reddit.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACdu1ho2Ic4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACdu1ho2Ic4</a>

Yeah, so apparently you don't even need to bother with any zone types other than residential.

There was a pretty good explanation of what's happening here. The civic services supply jobs to some sims, so that their wallet contents increase. The sims then visit parks. Parks act like commercial zones, in that they sell happiness, except parks sell 1 "happiness point" for zero simoleons. The sims wallets continue to increase, and they continue to get happiness for free, leading to an upward spiral of happiness, which distributes among every sim.

Also, Oviraptor - I recall someone doing a measurement of the size of a single car compared to the width of the entire map and determining that the size was closer to 0.5km than 2km.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #276 on: March 15, 2013, 03:42:22 am »
Well, if that's the case, the population density for a city of 200k is 800k/km^2. That's 0.8 people per square meter or 1.2 m^2 for each person in the city.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #277 on: March 15, 2013, 03:44:53 am »
Not all buildings are one story.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 15, 2013, 03:50:19 am »
Also, the game only simulates about 10% of the supposed population.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #279 on: March 15, 2013, 06:03:27 am »
I've been finding it challenging to keep the city making money and recovering from disasters. That video was interesting, makes me want to ditch my entire city and just build a total residential.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #280 on: March 15, 2013, 06:11:27 am »
Not all buildings are one story.

Because everyone stays inside all day and goes nowhere, there are no buildings besides residential, and no roads.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #281 on: March 16, 2013, 08:47:58 am »
So this is a weird thought I had yesterday and I'm not sure if it's hindsight or something I actually noticed at the time.

But when they were pushing GlassBox and all that jazz, they continually mentioned that it was in beta stages and in testing and this, that, and the other. And I felt like at the time of many of those videos the game was maybe a year a half, two years out. Since I wasn't following the game that closely due to lack of interest I didn't know the release date until it was maybe a week away. And that March 2013 release seems AWFULLY early given what they had already shown us.

Clearly now with the benefit of hindsight I think any one of us can agree that this games needs at least another 12 months in the can and probably more. But I'm just thinking back to the development releases and news and whatnot and they never actually talked about GlassBox being finished. It was always a work in progress with a final version coming "in the future", so to speak.

**EDIT**
There are sporadic reports around the net of people having their copies of SimCity disabled, but only copies bought via Amazon. This one is still coming together but the people at NeoGAF suspect that EA is blacklisting Amazon serial numbers outright. One common thread through just about every report is that the users in question never actually asked for the refund.

Source 2
Source 3
Source 4
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:05:40 am by PatMan33 »

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 16, 2013, 09:10:27 am »
Considering they're only now getting around to working on the pathfinding beyond a rudimentary system, I think it's still in beta, regardless of release status.
Bradshaw says as much in a new blog update, even though it's mostly the same 'always-online is an improvement, we swear oh god please believe us'. She claims SimCity is (like) an MMO (?), and that they'll keep updating it.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #283 on: March 16, 2013, 09:20:53 am »
See, and if they wanted to make Sim City into an MMO that's fine. But it's really something worth disclosing throughout the development process instead of lying the whole time and springing "oh, it's an MMO" on us after everyone is already pissed off.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #284 on: April 04, 2013, 08:45:22 am »
I'm not finding any sources yet but there have been rumors over the last couple hours that SimCity has been cracked. I do, however, have the link to the crack. But I'm not sure I am allowed to post that here.