Author Topic: Starbound  (Read 49939 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound (Terraria-like)
« Reply #315 on: January 12, 2014, 12:59:28 am »
So while you guys have been powergaming your way to max level gear and building holodecks and depressing utilitarian USSR style apartment towers, I've been lovingly crafting a rustic village, like hobbiton if Bilbo were a chaffinch. I'll post it tomorrow.

I have no idea why I'm doing this because its all going to get wiped. Putting my vacation to good use spending hours on end trying to find the right blocks to make a decent looking chimney and re-purposing random torture implements into a charming fountain.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound
« Reply #316 on: January 12, 2014, 11:36:27 am »
#Invalid YouTube Link#
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 12, 2014, 12:12:26 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAy2Cx_x0pM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAy2Cx_x0pM</a>

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #318 on: January 12, 2014, 04:19:01 pm »
Hey what's this game doing now? Haven't played in a few weeks.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 12, 2014, 04:48:33 pm »
As far as I know nothing has happened sense last year. I wish they would update their blog, occasionally they do stuff on reddit you could try mining that.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 13, 2014, 05:45:43 pm »
From Tiyuri's twitter:
The update isn't far off now, we're trying to include universe backwards compatability along side character backwards compatibility.
Also were restructuring the way we push updates to steam to allow us to do almost daily content updates (file sizes will be low)

ETA to the patch: one week

Bartwe on reddit said this patch will mostly be bugfixes. 

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 13, 2014, 06:22:08 pm »
So here's my little Avian settlement which will one day be vaporised when an update hits.

Beamdown point with a well/fountain/torture device. To the right you can see the tumbledown entrance to the cemetery.

nspooky(n+x)me.

The tombs of an Avian and a Floran. Gee who were these bigwigs?

The gravedigger's spooky house.

Back to the main area. Here's the entrance to the main house, and some wheat. Also acid rain, yaaaay. (Once the full game drops I will not be building my big projects on planets that have acid rain)

Kitchen and pantry. A lot of this quaint stuff came from a Glitch castle I ruined!

I forgot what function lets you screenshot only the active window and forgot to crop this one. Durr! Anyway, quaint little living room, workshop is above.

Terrace farms.

Another house.

That's pretty much it. Including tracking down all the blocks and items to make things look half decent this took a long-ass time.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:50:34 am by Krakow Sam »

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 14, 2014, 02:08:12 am »
Sam, none of those images show up for me.
I think you used the wrong image address. You've used the one for the general page (e.g. http://imgur.com/1kCZoUa), while the image itself has an extension (http://imgur.com/1kCZoUa.png)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 14, 2014, 11:50:51 am »
Thanks Didero, the links are fixed.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 14, 2014, 06:10:37 pm »
What happens is that all the bosses below your current tier do negligible damage and get in the way while the boss that's at your tier kills you.

Offline Didero

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 15, 2014, 01:41:04 am »
That's a really nice village, Sam.
I'm looking forward to the character wipe, so I can really start playing. (Though I probably won't have the patience or the creativity to build something like that :P)

Also,
I forgot what function lets you screenshot only the active window
It's alt+PrintScreen, at least for me on Windows 7.

Also also, if you just want to build without having to spend ages finding just the right items, there's also a Creative Mode mod that helps you get all sorts of items really easily, somewhat comparable to Minecraft's creative mode.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #326 on: January 15, 2014, 07:09:09 am »
Sam, none of those images show up for me.

Imgur pulled a Google and inexplicably moved fields around for no discernible reason. The direct link was missing entirely for the last image I uploaded and had been replaced with the general link. So if you are copying that link based on screen position (you know what I mean, right?) you'll grab the wrong link.

Google did that crap with the YouTube button. Actually they still do. Right now they've decided (again) that Google and YouTube are separate, so clicking "video" now takes you to ****ty Google Video... which is just filled with YouTube links that are terribly sorted.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #327 on: January 15, 2014, 07:15:30 am »
Update and character wipe is coming next week. It's also going to wipe planet and ships too.

Offline Didero

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 15, 2014, 07:18:51 am »
A lot of people immediately have a knee-jerk reaction to change, demanding the old back.
But in this case, why the hell would you change things that work?
Youtube did the same thing in their player a while back. You had a clear button to change the quality. Then they replaced it with a gear icon, which opens a little popup, which has the quality dropdown. WHY would you add an unnecessary extra step? It's not like the controls on the Youtube player are cluttered or anything, why stuff it behind an extra menu?

Oh, wait, Starbound. In case you guys didn't see, there's a news post on the official site detailing the next patch and the wipe. Importantly, they promise players and ships won't be wiped again, but they can't be as resolute on planet wipes. So I guess for now I'm gonna use my ship as my home.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #329 on: January 15, 2014, 07:27:07 am »
Exactly! These things worked.

Moreover, I think the issue (especially with Google) is that they make these redundant changes while real problems (like their unoptimized player, awful account integration, and wonky quality settings) never get fixed. These smaller tweaks and changes are more forgivable when actual problems are being solved.