Author Topic: Starbound  (Read 50665 times)

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Starbound
« on: February 18, 2012, 02:09:07 pm »
Starbound homepage
Tiyuri's twitter

It looks like Tiyuri, artist for Terraria, has struck off on his own; a new team has been formed and they're starting up a fairly ambitious project.

“It’s a mix of diablo, metroid, castlevania, terraria, pokemon + some new stuff no one has ever done before”, said Tiyuri to an eager fan, whetting their appetite. We had a quick chat with Tiyuri who then added “maybe borderlands too”.

One thing is for certain though; although this upcoming game may bear some resemblances with Terraria, as Tiyuri himself said to us, “It’s going to be a considerably different game to Terraria“.

Celdur found a compiled list of planned features and general ideas for Starbound. Some of these can be found on their site, while others were apparently taken from tidbits on twitter and chats in IRC.
*Customizable home base (space station)
*Recruitable, generated NPCs to fill roles on the station
*Facilities to build including rideable mech production factory and specimen labs
*Explore the galaxy full of randomly generated planets with different enemies, items, resources, gravity, difficulties, etc.
*Randomly-generated weapons, visually distinct ("21,000 different possible rocket launchers" in terms of appearance alone, millions more for stats)
*Visual customization and custom crafting for equipment
*Armor is generated too, including visual permutations
*Dig/build block by block like in Terraria
*Claim any planet as your new home planet, move in NPCs, build facilities, control the weather, terraform, etc.
*Enemies also randomly generated, visual and statistical differences
*Every enemy in the game can be weakend then captured pokemon-style, named, trained, bred, and leveled up through battles, brought to any planet to fight alongside you
*Infinite generated quests (examples included simple fetch or kill quests, and more involved ones like building a shelter for an injured NPC before acid rain began to fall, then fighting off a horde of monsters until it was safe to carry him to the ship)
*Infinite number of NPCs recruitable, any that don't fit on the station can be moved in to live on planets you discover
*Logbook lets you catalog weapons, flora and fauna, planets, etc. that you find to build up a library database
*Multiplayer means going through the whole game with friends if you want
*Story mode and integrated goals
*On-board station factory serves as tiered crafting tree, but some simple supplies can be made by-hand while on a planet's surface
*Mounts, both tamed aliens and robot mechs of various types
*Melee and ranged weapons, with dual-wielding possible with left and right click
*Planets range in "Threat Level" (difficulty) from 0-100 - even with the best gear you'd find 100 will always be hard and NPCs will often send you to 100-level planets in the endgame
*Oribtal strikes

Have some screens. Keep in mind that a few of these are from older builds; it's all clearly still quite a work in progress.
Right click > view image for larger size.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:17:42 am by Krakow Sam »

"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Online Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound (Terraria-like)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 02:31:16 pm »
I've said this, but- This looks really neat. Like it seems like it might combine all my favorite elements of gaming. Exploration, action, and most importantly, randomization.

It looks pretty bitchin', all in all.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 03:17:53 pm »
Is this like Terraria in the same way that Terraria was like Minecraft?

Because I didn't like Terraria.

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 03:43:50 pm »
I don't think so. It sounds to me like this one will have a different focus, more about your space station. You can pick a planet to live on, customizing it with tech and all, but it sounds like the space station stuff is the most important. Like you'll be going down and surveying planets to gather data, materials, and weird creatures.

Bit of a different flavor I guess. Less buildy, more science and exploration, with Terraria-style combat.

Sounds pretty neat, but we'll just have to see if they're able to pull it off. I'd be surprised if they accomplished more than a couple of the major gameplay mechanics.
There are a lot of ideas there and I wonder if these guys have the drive to work through all the complications.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:49:55 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 04:30:36 pm »
I am reminded of Spore in multiple ways.  Take that however you want.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 10:51:44 pm »
Hey, I was too.
I was also mildly nauseated by the thought. Celdur raised a good point too, that we keep looking for more of these kinds of games because they always tend to disappoint or fail in some aspect.

PERHAPS THE SAME COULD BE SAID OF ALL VIDEO GAMES
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 07:35:12 am »
So it's Terraria...in space?

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 07:36:20 am »
Hey, I was too.
I was also mildly nauseated by the thought. Celdur raised a good point too, that we keep looking for more of these kinds of games because they always tend to disappoint or fail in some aspect.

PERHAPS THE SAME COULD BE SAID OF ALL VIDEO GAMES

Die monster! You don't belong in this world!

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 07:56:21 am »
Blockgame : "It was not by my hand that I am once again given form! I was called here by humans who wish to play me."

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 10:05:41 am »
Blockgame : "It was not by my hand that I am once again given form! I was called here by humans who wish to play me."
Play you!?! You steal men's money and make them your slaves!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 03:48:40 pm »

Perhaps the same could be said of all vidyas.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 07:43:58 pm »

your gameplay is as empty as your soul! gamers ill need a vidya such as you.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 07:58:34 pm »

your gameplay is as empty as your soul! gamers ill need a vidya such as you.
What is a vidya? *chucks controller* A miserable pile of pixels. But enough talk... Have at you!

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 09:00:59 pm »
So I take it you're not interested in the game?
Probably not a Goat, either.

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 02:35:01 am »
I'm super interested but I've gotta be honest. Going by that whole list, which is pretty well entirely confirmed in the series of interviews Tiy has done, I can't help but have doubts.
I want it and I believe it would satisfy. If completed.

I'm a little wary, though I don't know why. I had hundreds of hours of good times with Minecraft over the last couple of years alone and with you guys, some good times with the gang in Terraria..
So it's not like I got screwed over.

I dunno what I'm saying.

tl;dr Nah, I want it hard, baby. Peter Pan magic cheese.
Have a gif.

~Ricky Wangstrom