Author Topic: Nations  (Read 6687 times)

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
Nations
« on: January 17, 2012, 04:13:37 pm »
Based on City-States at the MSPA Forums, all credit of the idea goes to Demonsul

A Brief Idea of What You'll Be Doing

You will be creating a nation, designed to your choosing with technology up to that of the late Renaissance. There are few other boundaries, but you are required to provide a basic overview of the politics, a flag, a name, a colour and the portion of the region you'd like to start in. The river shown is the major river, the only one which ships from the sea can enter, other smaller rivers do exist though. The first 4 people to give nations are in, there will be an NPC nation. To those that fail to get in on time, there will be a waiting list. PM me at that point to learn more.

Upon the beginning of the game, I will place each of the nations onto the map and send out PMs to each individual. This will cover what has been going on that season, and you can cover any or all of the topics provided. I will then wait for everyone's PM until the end of the week, where the next season will occur and I will send new PMs recording what has happened in that short three months.

While it is possible to invade and conquer eachother's nations, doing such will not eliminate players from the game. In the event that you are conquered, you can lead rebellion and revolution, or flee as an exiled government if you have friends. Please note that revolution is also a way that new players are introduced. As will parties in democratic states, puppet governments, vassals and newly discovered locations.

If you have played City-States on the MSPA Forums, then some notable differences are that this will contain an entire biosphere and will focus on all aspects of a nation, not just the sociopolitical aspects.

Flag:
Nation Name:
National Colour:
Preferred Location:
Political/Cultural Overview:
Nation's 'Leader(s)':

With that said, sign-ups are now opened.

Waiting list is open, PM me for more info.

Chat
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:29:30 pm by Badger Man 22 »

DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: Nations
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 06:56:01 pm »

Nation Name: Wasgo

National Colors: Red, Black and White

Preferred Location: At the mouth of the Northern River.

Political Overview (and Culture): The Wasago are communal culture who respect nature and the land. While not technologically advanced they are culturally advanced. Their name comes the "seabear" or "seawolf" ledgend of a mythical creature that can live both on land and the sea. They like the myth depend upon the land and the sea for their survival.

While no property is own my any individual individuals are encouraged to leave things better than they found it. This respect for both nature and each other has been their key to their sustainability. Leaders are picked through a "meritocracy" which as the name implies is based on ones merit and accomplishments.

Overall their ethnicity and cultural art appears most like the Native Americans of the Pacific Northwest. However their customs and philosophies are a bit different. For example despite their primitive looking  technology and buildings they are advanced medical and healing practices. Their sanitation and waste systems rival those of Ancient Rome and their arts and education are quite advanced.

This is not to say they are a utopia, but they have found much better ways to work with nature and take only what they need. Even their population is at sustainable limits where they do not grow beyond what their territory can provide them. Thus many families only have a max of 2 children to prevent the population from going too high.

Their national colors of red, white and black represent red blood, white life and black death. However  white or black is neither positive or negative. Just as the day and night are neither good or bad.

Nation's 'Leader: Elder Kekata Chinook (Philosophical / Creative)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:36:33 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 07:16:07 pm »
Hydro, if you could choose one colour to represent the nation that would be immensely helpful, as it will be used in the maps.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:25:38 pm »
Hydro, if you could choose one colour to represent the nation that would be immensely helpful, as it will be used in the maps.

Red then.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:49:22 pm »
I don't really understand what the rules are, but this intrigues me immensely. I am a huge cartophile¹, after all.

¹ lover of maps, screw you card collectors

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 11:25:22 pm »
Basically you fill out the fields, like Hydro did, and after I receive 4 I will begin the first season of the first year of the new age. At the beginning of this season I will send everyone an Overview of their nation via PM and they can choose to respond to any or all of the information in the PM, by sending a PM detailing their actions. In this thread they will roleplay politics with each-other. At the end of the week, the next season will begin and I will send out another set of PMs. I will post at the beginning of each season with a map of each fully discovered region and a quick overview of international events.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 11:50:47 pm »
So it's basically an RP, but as nations instead of characters?

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:11:52 am »
A bit, you are the leader(s) of the nation. In fact, I think I should just make an official Nation Sheet. Essentially Hydro's but with a leader field. Its more RPG than RP, as random events will occur and whatnot.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 01:50:37 am »
A bit, you are the leader(s) of the nation. In fact, I think I should just make an official Nation Sheet. Essentially Hydro's but with a leader field. Its more RPG than RP, as random events will occur and whatnot.

Should I add a leader field? If so besides a name (and I assume gender) do you want us to pick like 2 traits like how they have leaders in Civilization? Examples ...

Montezuma = Aggressive / Spiritual
Roosevelt = Industrious / Organized
Cyrus = Expansive / Creative

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 02:18:44 am »
The leader traits are welcome if you want, but your actions will determine your traits more than the traits will determine your actions. In other words, they'd be guidelines for you. And yes, Add a leader field as I showed in the first post.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 11:29:01 am »
BETTER DEAD THAN RED, HYDRO

Nation Name: Bernogratzer Federation, Kingdom of Upper Bernogratz

National Colour: Grey/Black

Preferred Location: North-eastern Peninsula

Political/Cultural Overview: Traditionally a trading people, the people of Bernogratz are industry orientated and highly localised. Bernogratz itself is not one nation technically, but an assortment of culturally and politically similar principalities and city states all organised into a single Federation for defence and economic prosperity. In practice, it is a Kingdom ruled by a single Monarchy, currently headed by Charles Fredrick II. Whilst to those outside of the Federation, the latter would seem more correct, but to those inside they were loyal to their local leaders, and saw the Federation as an economic entity.

The culture of Bernogratz is Franco-Germanic in nature. the Kingdom of Upper Bernogratz, the most dominant state in the Federation, is largely agricultural, Germanic and conservative. Lower Bernogratz is more Franco-Germanic, liberal and beginning to bear the seeds of industrialisation, however it is difficult to find any area in the Lower Bernogratz that is not ruled by an Absolutist Duchy or Principality. Despite these differences the Federation is stable internally, although unlikely to unite into a truly single nation any time soon.

Although only a Federation, it has an organised army for the sake of self defence of the Federation and a largely unified economy; customs tax inside the Federation is low to allow the free movement of goods throughout the nation but economic backwardness still exists in some areas. The Flag of the Federation is the flag of the United Armies and Trade fleets, rather than the flag of a state that people identify with. King Charles Fredrick II is a largely progressive ruler, however still retains some reactionary policies; he has little interest in expanding his own empire, and would rather spend time playing politics in his fledgling nation. The leader of Government, Gustav Wermalt, on the other hand wishes to expand Bernogratz's economic influence over nearby areas and dreams of creating a trading giant of which the world has never seen. Naturally, the regular people of Bernogratz only care for local prosperity and personal wealth.

Nation's 'Leader(s)': King Charles Fredrick II, the head of State, and Gustav Wermalt, Foreign Ministers and Government leader.

hurp durp post HRE germany

Also am I too far in the future? I'm not at the age of industrialism, but I'm pushing it a bit from "late renaissance".
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:32:11 am by Plank of Wood »
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 12:01:20 pm »
Flag:

Nation Name: Westcustogo
National Colour: Green
Preferred Location: The large peninsula that juts into the water.
Political/Cultural Overview: Westcustogo is a hereditary oligarchical nation. Under the sovereignty of the Gendall family, Westcustogo is divided into several smaller provinces, each with their own minor governments. The province names are (in alphabetical order) Aziscohos, Cobscook, Katahdin, Millinocket, Molunkus, Muscongus, Nahmakanta, Nollesemic, Pemaquid, Squapan, and Umcolcus. The Gendalls also hold their own province near the heart of the nation which also shares the name Westcustogo. Each provinces' capital city shares its name with its province.

Westcustogo's primary industries are fishing, forestry, and masonry. They are also skilled shipwrights and sailors. The people are hardworking and take pride in their work; they generally take quality over quantity. Militarily, each province has its own militia responsible for its own province. These are all part of the national army as separate branches, with the Westcustogo province being at the core. Because of the semi-autonomous nation of the provinces, the people remain happy with Gendall rule. Because of this, trade between the provinces is free, open, and thriving, for both goods and ideas.

Nation's 'Leader(s)': The Gendall family

D'oh, sniped. Oh well, I'll have to work more on this later, I have to go to work. I can finish it after I get home.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:17:05 am by Oviraptor »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 02:11:40 pm »
Flag:
Nation Name: Losar
National Colour: Blue
Preferred Location: The arid zone in the bottom left, around the source of the river.  Capital situated on the river.
Political/Cultural Overview: A proud, nationalist, and rugged people from the arid south, the Losarian republic has adopted an expansionist dogma, viewing the world as their property, to be used to build upon the splendor of their nation.  The republic has spread rapidly through the south, gathering resources and wealth, which are in turn used for further expansion.

Self-entitled and greedy, they build large monuments to their glory with the help of their excellent understanding of engineering practices, and keen metallurgy knowledge.  Invention and innovation are encouraged as excellent ways to help benefit the nation.  Elaborate private libraries and universities have been constructed in major cities and funded by wealthy parties.

The state's economic stance is that its role is to help the people help the state.  Taxation is limited, with boons being granted to individuals and parties who prove their worth to the nation.  It uses a light hand in control of the people, encouraging privatization.  This has resulted in a very large wealth gap, with powerful super-corporations wielding significant power in the senate.  Their vast influence is held in check by the other corporations, as well as the strong mentality of nationalism pervading the culture, preventing any one group from attempting a coup. 

While slavery is outlawed, indentured servitude is a common practice, with low class workers often treated as property of the corporations, traded as a resource.  This is not necessarily a bad thing though, as they are usually treated fairly and well taken care of by corporations looking to protect their investments in the people, while those who demonstrate significant skill and potential are rewarded accordingly.  Still, the proletariat are often kept under the watchful gaze of the private police forces, who are quick to stamp out any dissent.

Apart from a token force controlled by the state, the majority of Losar's significant military strength is also privatized.  With significant boons being rewarded for expanding Losarian interests, some corporations exist solely to train and deploy armies at the behest of the state.  Although the Losarian armies are skilled, experienced and well equipped however, they will not always invade as a first resort, often preferring to trade and gradually assimilate other people over time.  In the event of an invasion, they are generally very fair to the conquered people, allowing them to maintain their culture and self govern as vassals, aware of the fact that keeping them happy make them easier to assimilate into the republic in the long run.

Nation's 'Leader(s)': Senate representing specific regions and the interests of powerful individuals and organizations.  Chaired by Chancellor Cyrill Halkalt.

Wow, I inadvertently wrote a whole lot.  Do you guys figure my nation is ok?  Also, just wondering, do all our nations know about each other already?
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 02:26:41 pm »
Yes, you all know of eachother and start in the same region, I'll be getting started now.

In other words, sign-ups are now closed. PM me if you want in but didn't make it.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 02:39:33 pm »
Republics are kind of iffy considering the time period but whatever I'll roll with it.
the real saviour of this forum