Author Topic: Civilization Beyond Earth  (Read 3183 times)

Offline MetallicDragon

• Bungeling Bay Raider
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Beyond Earth
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 10:32:09 pm »
Yeah, it is undoubtedly a great, fun game, but it suffers from the same thing Civ 5 did on release. It just feels really lacking when compared to the previous iteration which has had 4 years of patches and expansions.

Offline eropS

• Arkanoid Vaus
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 11:34:20 am »
Andry Joe review gave it a 6/10 and verified the concerns I had that you all had raised
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• BioShock Big Daddy
  • WELCOME!!
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2014, 04:53:03 pm »
Joe mentioned Endless Legend in his review. It is made by the folks that made Endless Space.

My questions: Is Endless Legend good? Is it more complete than Endless Space? And are they still working on Endless Space? They were moving slowly the last time I played.
"Video games are meant to be just one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone!" - Satoru Iwata

Offline PatMan33

• BioShock Big Daddy
  • WELCOME!!
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2014, 08:11:37 pm »
BLEH!

Even set to quick speed this game feels slow. I don't want to play it anymore. :|
"Video games are meant to be just one thing. Fun. Fun for everyone!" - Satoru Iwata

Offline Sugarplum Tesla

• Super Mario Karter
  • A DARK STAR IS RISING
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 12:42:11 am »
Pat. How can I sum up "Pat?"

You're a dink!
FLEE

Offline Flisch

• Mail Order Monster
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 06:39:43 pm »
So, I just gave the demo a try. After reading all those bad reviews and watching those rather bland preview videos and images, I have to admit I was positively surprised. I expected worse.

That is not to say, it doesn't have any flaws, but I like quite a few of the things they did.

For one, I'm a sucker for those mini events they had back in Civ 4 and so I'm glad they made this quest system, which also features some kinds of mini decisions etc. Though, I wish they would have given it a different name. Quests? Really?

However, the interface and world are just poorly handled:

The interface, while looking sleek and sci-fi I guess, is very hard to read, especially when you're not used to it. And even when you're used to it, you still have trouble making out the different shapes, because colour is used very sparingly. Building units and buildings in a city is horrible, because the entries lack the little coloured icons from the main game, which really helps navigating the build menu.

The same goes for the technology net, although ten times worse. I love the idea, but the execution is... not good. Again, the lack of actually little clearly distinguishable icons makes it hard to navigate, even when you know what you're looking for. On top of that having all the technologies radiate outwards makes it difficult to compare different paths at a glance. I guess it's an inherent problem with how a technology net works, but man, there must be a better way.

Then you have the problem that in the virtue overview it's hard to see which virtue you already have unlocked.

And don't get me started on the terrain. It took me a whole while (I already had my first outpost) until I realized that grassland, desert and plains were actually different terrains. They all looked the same to me when I didn't look to closely. Basically the entire planet is a big bluish-greenish blob. And miasma is so hard to spot that I actually have to resort on the tooltip to tell me if it's on a tile or not.

Interestingly all those negative points are solely about usability and not content. The actual content is fine, but the way it's presented leaves much to be desired. I suppose I'll wait a year or so, when it'll be bundled together with a bunch of expansions and cheaper in total.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Sugarplum Tesla

• Super Mario Karter
  • A DARK STAR IS RISING
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2015, 06:40:29 pm »
FLEE

Offline Celdur

• Wing Commander
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2015, 02:54:34 am »
Joe mentioned Endless Legend in his review. It is made by the folks that made Endless Space.

My questions: Is Endless Legend good? Is it more complete than Endless Space? And are they still working on Endless Space? They were moving slowly the last time I played.

Endless legend is great but it does come with its own problems.
It really takes the civ formula and cuts out all the dumb ****, and then adds more cool stuff.
For example, there are provinces that divide the world. And you can only have 1 city per province.
If you claim a province, you can take advantage of all the resources in that province. And you don't just have workers build farms everywhere, instead you expand the city itself as it grows larger.
This prevents a whole lot of messy busywork and also prevents AI's and players from spamming towns every 2 tiles. It's very well executed.

It also feels like you're more in control of what you're doing.For example, all researches have very clear immediate influence on your empire, and there is no research tree.
At first I thought I wouldn't want the tree to be gone, but being able to pick any research of your age/tier means you get to focus on what you want your empire to be, rather than going down roughly the same path as everyone else. To unlock the next age/tier of research, you simply need 9 of the tier you are in to go to the next.
You can also outfit all of your unit types with equipment, with a lot of different gear focusing on different stats or playstyles. And then there are also hero's that you can level up.
Oh and quests that give you neat rewards. And you are pretty much exploring the whole game rather than just the start of the game. Oh and each race has a completely different playstyle, instead of just a small bonus. Oh and the game looks great, it looks like a big colorful game board. So yeah, plenty of stuff to be excited about.

Now for the bad though. People complained a lot about the AI when this launched, they made a lot of improvements since then, but they are still kind of lacking. I still have to play a game at way higher difficulties, and maybe that's where they really shine,  but in my experience they haven't really done much of anything and lag behind really quickly.
Also, the combat is really neat, but at a certain point one civ is going to be stronger than another. Because they either focused more on getting better gear, or their units are just much higher level. And then combat will get very one sided. At that point you will always click auto resolve instead of doing the combat yourself. Oh and the game crashes for me, a lot.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline PatMan33

• BioShock Big Daddy
  • WELCOME!!
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2015, 06:18:27 am »
Wow thank you for all of this info.

The AI problems don't bug me so much since Civ's AI is also broken. Will have to try this game out!

Offline PatMan33

• BioShock Big Daddy
  • WELCOME!!
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2015, 10:13:16 am »
So.

I just went to start a game of Beyond Earth. And I was going through the setup for a game and as I clicked through the options I started to remember the game and what I would be doing for the next few hours. And I closed it and started up Civ V. :|

Offline eropS

• Arkanoid Vaus
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2015, 11:31:54 am »
Welp, I doubt an expansion is coming considering they're making that other game, so... hopefully that one's better?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Brandonazz

• Super Mario Karter
  • MARRIAGE IS A RELIGIOUS INSTITUTION
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2015, 12:27:02 pm »
404 Replayability Not Found

Offline Pixxel

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2015, 02:45:29 pm »
So I played through one game during the free weekend.
Here's just a few pros and cons with this game.

+ Alignment system
+ Costumizable units based on alignment
+ Alien world

- Lacks personality
- Alignment system could have been deeper
- Only one type of alien world
- Selfish and dumb AI as usual. Example "Ally asks me to join him for war, help him out. A bunch of turns later I need help to go to war or else we all lose, 'Nah I don't want to go to war'. Won that game but not thanks to my ally".
- Same alignment civs see you as a rival, which doesn't make sense if you go for Transcendence victory.
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline eropS

• Arkanoid Vaus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2015, 02:55:33 pm »
I do appreciate the irony of having to obliterate your transcendence rival