Author Topic: Broseidon Quest - A Superhero Narrative Decision Game  (Read 17385 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Broseidon Quest - A Superhero Narrative Decision Game
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:02:45 am »
God help me, for some reason I've decided to have a stab at one of those games where you idiots post suggestions for what a guy does and then I tell you what happens.
I will be using Mutants and Masterminds to create a superhero character and to resolve actions. All YOU have to do is post suggestions which aren't mind-numbingly awful.

Lets meet our hero!

You are John Q. Afredge, a high school senior from Fortune City. You have thus far coasted through life and been so uninteresting that nobody has any idea of what your personality or characteristics are. You are just someone filling panel space while the luminaries of your world; Captain Incredible, Zeitgeist and Jet Jaguar, to name but a few have astounding adventures. This will change when your mundane plotless existence is dramatically shaken up and you become the new superhero on the block.
But what freak whim of fate gave you your new motivation and characteristics?

1. A freak ACCIDENT
2. A mystical RELIC
3. The discovery of an unusual ANCESTRY
4. The loss of someone close to you gives you a lust for REVENGE
5. The awakening of a MUTATION in your genetic code.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:01:51 pm by Krakow Sam »

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Re: The Super-Heroic Narrative Decision Game
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:11:00 am »
Mutant, because mutants are cool.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:23:39 am »
Ancestry, because it could start the plot too. Plus, I don't think it's been overdone like 'Revenge'.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 09:30:57 am »
Obviously an accident has the best potential for comedy.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 09:58:07 am »
Why not an accident involving a relic?
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 11:57:50 am »
Why not turn it into an RP? HEE HEE HEE

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 12:15:06 pm »
*ensures pat has an accident*

Why not an accident involving a relic?

One per customer.  >:(

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 12:18:20 pm »
Mutation! Hideous, disgusting mutation!

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 12:45:35 pm »
An accident!  The best heroes come from exploding labs or being bitten by a radioactive plot device.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 01:02:37 pm »
One day after school, you come home to find your mother sitting at the kitchen table. Oh jeese, you notice a number of half empty liquor and cola bottles on the kitchen counter, looks like mom's been hitting the Long Island Ice Teas again.

"John, I have something important to tell you" she, says. You sigh, getting ready for another session of tiresome inebriated rambling and get yourself a refreshing can of Prof Schwepper soda and lean back in your seat.

"The night my father and I... well, conceived you..." she begins. This is already starting to sound more mentally damaging than mom's usual diatribes, trying to sneak off would just risk another episode of tearful emotional blackmail so you content yourself with leaning back on your chair really far to put some physical and emotional distance between yourself and mom.
"Well, I'm sorry John, but we never meant for me to get pregnant that night. You were an ACCIDENT"

Perhaps it was just the weird, slurry emphasis she put on the last word, or maybe that revelation had a real emotional effect on you, but thhat little bombshell just made you keel your chair over backwards. The ceiling swims into your field of vision as you swing backward into the refridgerator door, jolting the box of TOP SECRET CHEMICALS dad stole when he was fired from his night-watchman job at Plaxico and perched up on top of the fridge for no sensible reason. The damp cardboard box splits as it falls, dumping a payload of fragile plastic vials right onto your head. Naturally, they shatter on impact, dousing you in a MYSTERIOUS EXPERIMENTAL COMPOUND. You suddenly feel as though your DNA is being altered and pass the hell out.

*GENERATING SUPERPOWERS. STAND BY*

When you come to, your mother is sponging down your forehead with cold vodka, having dragged you to the couch.
You soon discover you have an array of fabulous powers as a result of your ACCIDENT, as you are now able to Control Water, even to the point of Creating Objects, which you can then Animate by concentrating and somehow imbuing them with part of your conciousness. If no source of fresh water is available you can Transform air into water at a steady rate. You can also change the refractive index of your body to become transparent almost to the point of Invisibility, and can halt projectiles aimed your way by slowing them in a weird-looking bubble of water extruded from your bare hands. And last but not least, you are somehow able to inflict Debilitating Headaches on people which are not dissimilar to brain-freeze.

You later do a little sleuthing on wikipedia and find out that the compound that splashed on you was an innocuous cherry-scented compound intended as an experimental cure for Ice-Cream headaches. This stuff has apparently been on the market for a year now and nobody has ever got superpowers from it before. You're pretty smart when you want to be, and surmise that the compound probably interacted with a latent mutant gene in your body to give you these powers. Go you!

Doing what any teenager would do in this situation, you put on your Hockey Pads and go out onto the streets at night with a Paper Bag on your head.

Fortune City has all the neighborhoods and locations that any metropolis posesses. Where in the city do you want to begin your crimefighting career?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:10:35 pm by Krakow Sam »

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 02:19:25 pm »
paper bag and water powers. ok.

go to the mother****ing swimming pool, duh

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 02:23:30 pm »
Damn it Celdur I was going to suggest that.

Stupid prescient plagiarism.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 02:35:24 pm »
go to the mother****ing swimming pool, duh
No! Not stopping kids peeing in the pool is not heroic enough.
We must go to the beach, where there will be deadly sea creatures just waiting to cause trouble.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 02:44:02 pm »
You made Aquaman.

Way to go.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 02:53:46 pm »
You sneak out of your bedroom window as night falls and walk down to the local indoor swimming pool. At this time of night the complex is given over to Senior's Aquacise.  Through the window you spy a number of portly geriatrics gently bobbing up and down, which dulls your enthusiasm for pool-based crimefighting. You're not even sure what crime could even be commited at a swimming pool which would warrant the attention of a genuine superhero.
As you ponder, you notice a group of Swim Team Jocks emerging from the entrance hooting and armed with viciously twisted up wet towels. Seeing your preposterous getup, they advance on you.