Author Topic: [RG] Three Dimensional Map of the Reborn Galaxy  (Read 30832 times)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
[RG] Three Dimensional Map of the Reborn Galaxy
« on: November 05, 2011, 09:18:39 am »

Made the RG 10,000 ly to make the numbers even at save me hours calculating the coordinates system.

The Galactic Core.

The line is a height indicator for a star system.

Close up of the star system with galactic disk at background.

The system.

Space is... big.

Will explain more tomorrow.

Gotta slee

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
Re: [RG] Three Dimensional Map of the Reborn Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 04:09:09 pm »
Cool! Alright, so the galaxy is 10% Milky Way size, 5% Andromeda size, and 20% Triangulum size. I'd say all our activities take place in a region 900 by 900 ly. In the Mid Rim for convenience and slight realism, why not? Au (the Naucean star) should probably be at the center, seeing as how they're basically the ones who ushered in the Golden Age of the modern era. (The Kratair and Graidient have been around longer, but Kratair progress slower than others due to their reptilian physiology and Graid aren't too intested in other stars.)

I've actually been working on a 10x10 grid map for quite some time now, mapping out the galaxy's known species. Maybe you could wait for that to be finished until you start putting star systems everywhere, please? Oh, and the reason I chose 900 ly instead of 1,000 is because I accidentally made that map of Perrachi space in 9x9 squares. I could fix that if everyone wanted it, but it would take a while and the multiple of 3 thing works a lot better on grid paper.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 06:05:06 pm »
I'd say all our activities take place in a region 900 by 900 ly. In the Mid Rim for convenience and slight realism, why not?

That's gonna cause some very troubling discrepancies, I think.

Not that I'm personally for or against it, but there're several Silver Age civilizations that are explicitly stated, both in story and in their profile, to have originated from, occupy or are heavily involved with the inner rim.

Aside from that, there are also numerous Words of Veterans that explicitly state that the majority of the Golden Age races are centered on the outer rim.   :-\

I've actually been working on a 10x10 grid map for quite some time now, mapping out the galaxy's known species. Maybe you could wait for that to be finished until you start putting star systems everywhere, please?

Actually, I was gonna start asking people where they want their star systems to be.

That grid map would plenty, though. I might use it to get the coordinates of the Golden and Silver Age civilizations.   :)

I could fix that if everyone wanted it, but it would take a while and the multiple of 3 thing works a lot better on grid paper.

Sure thing.   :)

Hey, other guys out there, what do you think?

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 06:49:47 pm »
Well, I could do a multiple of 5 map if it's rectangular. Say, can you give some specific examples of Inner Rim species? Nothing springs to mind...Nothing I can regard as really canon, that is. (I'm making a timeline too, if you weren't aware.)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 07:40:36 pm »
Say, can you give some specific examples of Inner Rim species? Nothing springs to mind...Nothing I can regard as really canon, that is. (I'm making a timeline too, if you weren't aware.)

The Folicans are near the outer side of the border of the Inner and Middle Rims, with a considerable portion being involved in piracy there.

The Hairy Sneegles are also near the border, but on the other side.

The Blargbells reside in the Inner Rim proper.

The Spieroirs are quite near the Inner Realm.

While not a species per se, REDSTAR (Space Commies FTW!) was involved in the Inner Rim.

The Barroc Confederacy (Awesome Faceless are Awesome! ^_^) both live in and pretty much own a not-so-small number of illegal operations in the Inner Rim. The Yurohuihli, an alien species that became part of the Confederacy, also reside there.

The GalEx Intragalactic market commonly sells products from the Inner Rim. The same thing happens in most slave markets.

The Huvonians are residents of the Inner Rim. One of them in particular, Farkal, was the one who killed Axon's father, ultimately triggering the young boy's rise to heroism, and piracy.

The Mon-Krai have a lot of business deals, both legal and illegal, in the Inner Rim.

Lastly, there's the Communicants who, while not really from the Inner Rim, did use it to stage their invasion.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 08:14:15 pm »
I hate to burst your bubble, but I'm not nearly as... generous in the treatment of species as you may be. I've done extensive research for the past month or so on all the races I could find, systematically judging which were actually important and involved with galactic history. Suffice to say, a very large portion of those made immediately after Spore's release in 2008 and 2009 (the Silver Age?) did not qualify. Neither did many species in the Golden Age who had little to no bearing on galactic events whatsoever.

As far as I'm concerned, of your list I'm only dealing with REDSTAR, GalEx, Mon-Krai and Communicants. Heck, all of those save GalEx are technically extinct as far as anybody knows! The Folicans are unoriginal in biology, the Hairy Sneegles never went anywhere, the Blargbells are too stereotypical with their "awesomeness", the Spieroirs I like but never went anywhere either, the Barrocs are horridly unimaginative, and there's no data on the Huvonians except a single post. To boot, almost all of them committed the unforgivable sin of having a single culture, a sterotypical culture, or both!

What next? Do you want me to include the likes of the Globiens and the Xajorkithians? Perhaps we'll reserve a seat for the Raptorian Empire! I really don't want to hate or anything, but some things you've just gotta let go - especially when they didn't even do anything, or at least did nearly nothing. Or were totally abandoned.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 08:46:09 pm »
I find it interesting that you guys seem to view the older species as still having a place, instead of assuming extinction. Unless I'm wrong? Assuming they're still there presents a number of problems, but eh. An interactive 3D map would be too much to ask for :P

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 09:12:40 pm »
Honestly? Most OG species are extinct as far as I'm concerned. Beyon City is basically the center of it all, but only the Nauceans, Sombrerons, Kratair, Torpals and Quillarans remain. Most Nauceans are ascended but some are still on Beyon and famous for driving bubble taxis. Sombrerons are tricky now that Gec's gone, maybe they'll be wiped out somehow. Torpals are basically in the process of destroying their former empire. It's been established that the Nauceans led several expeditions to Quillaris, so I'm betting they're primitive but still actually alive and known in some circles as a good tourist destination.

All other canonical races either ascended or were killed off by the Communicants or Torpals. Oh, I'm certain that a handful of each still remain, but they're probably content just living on Beyon or wherever. The reconstruction of the multifaceted culture of an entire species is too big a project for only a few people...As this forum has undoubtedly proven. ;)

Say, when it comes to territory shapes which approach are we using? Will we use the Star Wars method and have blobby outlines that look like land-based countries? Or will we take the Star Control method and have literal spheres of influence? Well, oblate spheroids if they get big enough.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 09:29:31 pm »
-snip-

But still, they're a part of canon, regardless of our personal literary preferences.

Removing or outright mangling other people's works just because we don't like it or the creators aren't here to defend themselves is a bit too ingenious considering that some of them have been here for far longer than all of us.

We have to respect their history, at the least.

Imagine if some complete stranger in the future removed or retconned the Ni'Calls or the Gradient because he/she felt it wasn't "quite right" to his standards or preferences.

Also, the Mongol(ian)s hasn't been really involved in today's politics, yet I'm quite sure that they aren't extinct. Same for Macedonia, Romania and many other formerly badass but now just obscure countries.

Just because a country is not actively participating in the stories that we tell doesn't mean they don't exist anymore. I mean, having filler races are okay but maintaining canon races who participated in 90% of all major events in the galaxy is a huge resounding no?

A lot of African countries are basically clones of each other, just with different names. Doesn't mean that a hypothetical future historian is in the right to deliberately erase some of them from the records.

The fact is, we shouldn't tamper into other people's creations willy nilly, because it's a part of Galactic History.

If we're gonna remove a large chunk of it to suit a specific worldview, we might as well do a reboot and leave this one be to at least show some respect to the people who, while not really original, still put effort into their works.

:-\

Say, when it comes to territory shapes which approach are we using? Will we use the Star Wars method and have blobby outlines that look like land-based countries? Or will we take the Star Control method and have literal spheres of influence? Well, oblate spheroids if they get big enough.

The Spore approach seems the most reasonable approach, each owned system has a spherical area of authority around it which forms an overall blobby appearance.

I'll just have people post their main colonies, I guess.

Still, it would be nice if someone other than the three of us would care to post on this thread. >_>

Well, oblate spheroids if they get big enough.

Oh you!  :D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:18:35 pm by Yuu »

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 10:55:57 pm »
Also, the Mongol(ian)s hasn't been really involved in today's politics, yet I'm quite sure that they aren't extinct. Same for Macedonia, Romania and many other formerly badass but now just obscure countries.

Just because a country is not actively participating in the stories that we tell doesn't mean they don't exist anymore. I mean, having filler races are okay but maintaining canon races who participated in 90% of all major events in the galaxy is a huge resounding no?

A lot of African countries are basically clones of each other, just with different names. Doesn't mean that a hypothetical future historian is in the right to deliberately erase some of them from the records.
Okay, let me just get this out of the way: That bolded statement is damn wrong. It's implying that the most diverse continent is full of unoriginal, primitive people...And that's borderline racist at least. I hope you weren't being serious.

Moving on topic, I think you've misunderstood me. A lot of those species that I've disregarded were marginally or entirely unimportant on the galactic scene. If you insist I'll throw some of the not-so-good OG races back in because they had an actual impact on the galaxy, but the useless and/or wildly unimaginative will have to go. Keep in mind that the likes of the Yunimius and the Oifan-Umtag will still be canon - but extinct. You're not seriously suggesting we accept the Fungoidians or Crocs, are you? Or heaven forbid any of pie's stuff?

EDIT: If we go with your approach to the influence thing, that's kind of... well, here's a map of all the stars just within 20 ly of Sol. It could easily be either Star Wars or Star Control style once the scale gets large enough, which I'm sure it does. Besides, drawing it would be kind of a pain even if the spheres only extend from major military centers. I'm personally very fond of the Star Control look and feel, but not sure if the hyperdrive makes it realistic.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 11:19:43 pm by UFO King »

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 11:28:22 pm »
the Iavolg are a brown skinned race of mindless slaves to this super smart white guy. doesn't help that I used vague elements of Ashanti folklore as a framing device.

I get the trophy of shame for being the most accidentaly racist.

-snip-

But still, they're a part of canon, regardless of our personal literary preferences.

first i'd just like to say http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2225.0

and not so. we are here now. they are not. As titans we walk in the timeless garden of stars.

we can take out anything we want to. for example, i had a thing called Shilopherous. it was a blob of semi-sentient green stomach acid, inspired by a crazy dream I had (Fu Manchu and Ronald Weasly were in a bathouse and a genie's turned into a bag of dried leather, so I don't know.). I hope Shilo will never be referenced again.  some stuff is just stupid anyway and doesnt matter.

Hairy Sneegle

what.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 11:53:59 pm »
the Iavolg are a brown skinned race of mindless slaves to this super smart white guy. doesn't help that I used vague elements of Ashanti folklore as a framing device.

I get the trophy of shame for being the most accidentaly racist.
Hey, that's not what I meant. Don't mistake me for some uber-PC person! Yuu directly talked about African nations.

Feh, I don't want this to degenerate into a flame war over Africa. On topic, Crazen's got a point. The dasofpapodaugpodvpuaojpaodoapfdhoapvnhaophvpoahvfdzorz may be a joke, but the Shilo and Hairy Sneegles? No way.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 12:13:51 am »
What is with your obsession to convert the long established history of stuff here.

Seriously, ever heard of posterity?

They may be crap but they're historical crap.

You don't just go and delete stuff from fanfiction.net if it doesn't suit your tastes. The same thing here.

Just reboot the darn thing instead of wasting your time killing off and retconning everything.

You're making this far more complicated than it ought to be.

Just start with a clean slate then move their everything that you like. It's far less ethically questionable compared to butchering established canon.

Okay, let me just get this out of the way: That bolded statement is damn wrong.

Go out of your house today and ask anyone you come across the street to name ten African nations (that isn't either Egypt, Somalia, South Africa, the DRC, or Libya) and how each one is extremely unique.

They can't.

Is it right to remove them from history because of that, certainly not.

I'm not being racist, I'm just echoing the general knowledge base of most lay folk on this planet who don't give a damn about the culture of "non-Hollywood" countries. Seriously, have you ever seen Lesotho being specifically identified as Lesotho in any non-obscure movie yet?

If you've got beef with cultural bias, take it to the education system.

and not so. we are here now. they are not. As titans we walk in the timeless garden of stars.

You know, that kinda implies that you're in favor of the whole "history is written by the victors" thing.

Rather unsavory, that.

first i'd just like to say http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2225.0

wat

You're seriously going to compare the Barroc to a joke race?

Just because they're "unoriginal?"

If I recall, the Barroc were more active, hence contributed more to the story, than your Gradient.

Starwars is unoriginal, guess they're not good enough for this Retcon-Verse standards?

Even the Nauceans, yes the Nauceans, are just a mix of dolphin, squid and bipedal lizard. Before all the futuristic stuff, their history was a thinly veiled allegory to human development, with water-sih themes tacked in. Hydro admitted this himself.

Heck, UFO accused most of my races of being caricatures without asking first whether I had something in store for them that I just hadn't gotten into because, you know, I have a life.

some stuff is just stupid anyway and doesnt matter.

I agree with that.

What I don't agree is that races should be removed because they are "unoriginal."

As for stupid, the Graid are highly improbable to anyone who knows biology.

Guess we should remove them too.

Let's face it. If we're really anal about this, nothing much would be left.

Hairy Sneegle

what.

Just leave them as a filler race. There's no need to resort to drastically nuke everything to extinction, which is what's happening here.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:43:01 am by Yuu »

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 12:27:01 am »
( I would say if nobody can name anything about something and we aren't taught about it at all, then as a matter in general it has effectivly been removed from history. just a thought. has no bearing)

oh, and this is totally a reboot. just keeping a few old bits and bobs we found in the attic.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 12:53:07 am »
Alright Yuu, I get what you mean now. Thank you for the further explanations. (I guess Manila and Seattle are about the same distance from Ouagadougou.) So yeah, this is pretty much a reboot. We're keeping only a few OG species, but the history is something I most definitely want to keep! The wars against Halcyon, REDSTAR, and the Communicants had a great deal of impact on the galaxy, especially the Communicants since they annihilated a mess of OG races.

My axis of crap and non-crap is actually 2-D unlike yours; I have added the dimension of importance. Thus, I cut off the square of non-important crap from my grid and keep the rest, including the important crap that you love.

I've got this idea for the Torpals that explains both how their empire faded and a lot of other species were wiped out: A few (Perran) decades after the Communicants were destroyed, the Torpalian Empire got fed up with the remaining species and their own government's ineptitude. They overthrew it and installed a very militaristic one that embarked on a massive campaign against the rest of the known galaxy. This moment of success was short-lived, as the species that hadn't been eradicated after a year or so mobilized and launched a huge counteroffensive. This outside pressure coupled with splintering and side-taking within the Torpals disintegrated their Empire into a gigantic civil war and left a whole lot of collateral damage to say the least. Most Torpals were killed or fled, and both Tjorn and Cardotyrannus IV were erased from the charts. Nowadays the remnants of the empire's core are off-limits and still plagued by warlords and pirates.

Sound good to you all? Well... Yuu, Raz, Tripod, Kitkat, GG, Crazen, Necro, Badger, Octagonapus... You nine?

EDIT: Oh, and how does this sound for the dimensions of a rectangular grid of the known galaxy?: 1,000 x 750 ly. The long part is corewards.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 12:54:58 am by UFO King »