Author Topic: The Softboiled SciFi RP  (Read 11216 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
The Softboiled SciFi RP
« on: November 01, 2011, 01:55:43 pm »
The Softboiled SciFi RP

Greetings [TEAM NAME HERE]!! I hope you've had a pleasant trip on board the [SHIP NAME HERE]. We apologize for any inconvenience. While we take the utmost time in preparing ships for our teams, sometimes some things can fall through the cracks. Remember, as a member of the PanCeles Mercenary Corporation, it is your job to ensure the safety of our clients and their personnel. And that means having access to the best of the best. If you have any complaints, contact your coordinator at [TM CONTACT HERE].

Now then, with that out of the way let's get down to brass tacks and discuss the next mission.
[MISSION DATA HERE]

Good luck out there team! Hopefully you understand what needs to be done.
Make us proud and come home safe!!

"Best of the best my ass!"

A rough and tumble looking man blinked a few times and turned away from an aging command console. He slowly peered around the room at the others who were on the bridge and rummaged around in his vest until he was able to produce a print out.

"Right... for the eyes of Captain Jim Stoddard only... blah blah blah... yeah okay. Right then. Okay guys, we're landing on the planet Kton-4. It's mostly covered in salty water. Says here it's like bath water and there's sun almost all year round. There are no less than six hundred resorts across its surface and several large urban centers. Yeah... hm... okay! We'll be heading into the Kton's largest city, Aquarius. Clever name... anyway, seems the local prison had a bit of a break and there's a bunch of hooligans holed up in a chemical research lab a few miles south. They're armed with homemade shivs and possibly non-lethal weapons taken from guards. Should be a simple operation. Sweep in, mop up the idiots, and then go relax on the beach and ride jet skis. Any questions?"

"Good!" Captain Jim answered before anyone else had the time, then turned around and looked back at his console. "Make sure everyone on board gets word. We'll be landing outside the chemical facility in a half hour. You're all pros, we don't need a hardcore brief on this. All you need to know is that we're going in hot, so be ready. Maps, prisoner bios, and other metrics are being sent to your PDAs... now."

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
Re: The Softboiled SciFi RP
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 03:47:06 pm »
Standing off to the side of the bridge, James' PDA received the data with a faint buzz.  Taking it from his pocket, he began pouring over the data.  Simple as the job may have seemed, it was foolish to go into a fight unprepared, and especially foolish to underestimate the determination of loose convicts.  He also didn't like the fact that they were holed up in a chem facility.  There was no telling what sort of junk they had managed to get their hands on in there.  He'd have to make sure his medkit was properly stocked on the way in.

"Captain." he called out as his eyes continued scanning blueprints of the facility.  "What are our rules of engagement?  Are we taking them back intact or are we clear to use lethal force?"
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 05:47:04 pm »
Jim furrowed his brow and looked over at James.

"Ah... try to keep them in one piece. A bunch of them are from a psych ward. Pretty messed up... but they've undergone some treatments to fix their problems. The wonders of modern medicine or something like that. Our brief says some have gotten more treatments than others and might not even want to be there. So just keep an eye out."

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 08:20:12 pm »
Moe I. Mason performed the Scopulan equivalent of a sigh, which came out as a human sigh when run through his custom-built translator. His silicon-based biology made him resemble a large smooth boulder with eyes, although cybernetic arms had been attached to his body by himself. Moe grew up on his homeworld of Murexion for 3,999,973 Earth years until he decided to go seek out adventures among the humans. So far it wasn't looking good, as his job hunting on the human colony of Kton-4 had landed him work as a chemist, which was the very position that he had back on Murexion.

The facility was horrendously understaffed, of course. Why else would he be relegated to janitorial duty for the time being? The dirty bipedal fluid sacks thought it funny to joke about his body being used as a polisher for the floors - never mind that it worked so well you could see your reflection in it! Moe had traveled so far to interact with those beings, but expected slightly more thrilling escapades than cleaning up linoleum. I suppose I got just what I wished for, he gloomily pondered.

Without warning, a group of scruffy humans burst into the hallway! Startled by the sight of a living rock with robot arms, they hastily raised a variety of crude, improvised weapons in self-defense.

"Hey, uh - rock! If you can unnerstan' me, we're - we're takin' over this place, see?" Their bearded leader proclaimed. Moe responded, "Oh, I don't bother. You're the most excitement I've had on this backwater world since I chased around a butterfly. But continue to track the carbon gunk from your boots all over these floors I worked so hard to maintain, and your spines will serve as measurement scales for my precise body weight on this planet!"

The hooligans were visibly disturbed by that prospect, and decided to retreat back into the corridor they came from. Moe, not one to turn down the offer of real adventure, decided to follow. After all, what could a few knives do to him?
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 10:44:52 pm »
The blue humanoid lizard stood near the front of the bridge, paying full attention to the mission at hand. No one could say he didn't listen, that was for sure. Kryyzen laughed silently to himself as Jim explained the mission at hand. Put down a prison riot? Hand made shivs? This was rookie work, not worthy of someone of his skills and expertise. Though, a vacation did sound nice, a life of running did get quite tiresome after all.

As he listened to Jim and Jame's conversation, Kryyzen's bright yellow eyes narrowed sharply, "Of course captain, I will be most careful in my approach." He flashed a toothy grin towards the man as he inspected his blade-like claws innocently.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 08:49:02 am »
Sauls was lounging in one of the bridge chairs, absent-mindedly fiddling with his pistol as he listened to the Captain and everyone else. It annoyed him that they couldn't just waste the prisoners, mentally damaged or not. Non-lethal was often too much trouble in a mission, and it wasn't as if the prisoners were high value targets. Though, the Captain said keep them in one piece, but didn't say don't shoot them in the knee...

He chose to remain quiet and continue messing with his pistol while he considered the mission, Nutty prisoners with handmade weapons, not particularly a problem... Nutty prisoners in a chemical research facility, with access to possibly toxic and explosive chemicals, probably a problem. He holstered his pistol away and leaned forward, "I think it might be best to go in with chem gear, gas masks, the works. We don't know what the hell is in that facility, it could be nerve gas, it could be volatile explosives. I'm betting the majority of these prisoners have no idea what they might be tampering with, and all it takes is one moron cracking open the wrong container to cause a lot of trouble. Other than that, it's probably a good idea to watch what we shoot as well..."

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 09:47:57 am »
"That sounds like a solid idea."

Jim removed the mission brief from his pocket and made a small note in the margin. He had caught a lot of crap over his career concerning his laid-back approach. But his success rate spoke for itself. In his mind, he was only as good as his team, so he made a point to give a general outline of an upcoming mission and allowed the others to fill in the gaps as they saw fit. If the plan was inadequate when it came time to execute, he would address what needed to be addressed. But letting the team work out the plan themselves tended to give the group ownership over their tactics and helped boost morale a bit.

"Yeah if we need to, take 'em out at the knees or something. We only need them alive." Jim said before grinning, "And that way we're not shooting at beaker level where we could release the zombie apocalypse virus or something."

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 12:10:15 pm »
"So, who gave us this job? Local law enforcement, or the lab? 'Cause I'm seeing a lot of classified areas on this map." Andyne was leaning against the door to the bridge. "Also, should I get someone to see what sonic weapons we have? Some screamers or nauseators could come in handy. They're not liable to break anything either."

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 04:57:36 pm »
"Local law enforcement. Seems there are a few lizard frea- I mean Draaks in the group of escapees and they don't want to be held responsible if things go south. Kton-4 is full of hippies and other whiners that are all uptight about Draak mistreatment. The law wants to be as far removed from this operation as possible. The facility is a private one and the full map was given on a need-to-know basis. Seems there are some things we don't need to know. Who knew? Oh, yeah the prisoners are all humanoid so it's not hard to line up non-lethal shots. Just try not to hurt the Draaks too bad."

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 10:58:43 am »
Kryyzen, slightly irked by the captains term of lizard freak, smirked, "Draak mistreatment? Pah, if they feel as such they should leave or rise against it rather than just simply complain. These Draak that allow themselves to be dominated deserve no pity, and I cannot say I will show them any." His blue scales flashed as he moved in and out of the lights in the bridge as he approached the captain.

As he walked he merely whispered and shook his head, "Oh captain, my captain," he then held up a clawed hand aimed towards his throat, "if you would be so kind as to hold on the insults. Hunted I may be, but Draak I still am."
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:03:23 am by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 02:44:32 pm »
Kryyzen felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Easy there," Otto said in a gentle manner, trying to disarm the situation. "He is the captain after all, even if he is a giant racist." Otto made the joke half-heartedly as he took his hand off the lizard man's shoulder.

"I agree with the basis of the plan, though," Otto said as he leaned back against a nearby wall. "Everyone will need to be on guard given the facility. Don't especially like that we only know certain areas of the base. Do they know for sure that the convicts haven't gotten into those areas?" Otto's stomach lurched a bit.

Damn burrito, he thought.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 02:56:23 pm »
"This is all I've been told." the Captain answered, smirking and turning to Kryyzen. "And I'm sorry if I offended you, scales. We're all a bunch of freaks here. I shouldn't have singled you out."

The ship shuddered a bit as it entered the atmosphere of Kton-4. Heavy metal shields slid down over the bridge's windows and the monitors instructed everyone that wasn't already seated to find some place quickly.

"Remember guys, we're landing on a pad at the facility. That gives us about ten minutes. Plan seems good so everyone get ready to do what you do. If there are any last questions now's your chance."

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 05:33:23 pm »
Otto was quick to find a seat. After strapping himself in, he looked over the instruments to gauge the situation. No matter how many times he had gone through and atmospheric reentry, he could never get over the nauseating feeling that he was going to die. It was really a stupid thought, given that ships had been jumping from atmosphere to space for quite some time. However, Otto couldn't get over it. He had this gut feeling that one of these times the ship would explode into a massive fireball and scatter debris across the planet.

While all this turmoil raged on the inside of Otto, his outside was that of a cool demeanor. Anyone that looked at him wouldn't have been able to tell that his mind was screaming at him.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 08:58:37 am »
Sauls casually made his way to the pilot's seat and strapped himself in. While most ships could generally fly themselves from point A to point B and exit and enter atmospheres, Sauls rarely trusted the ships that they were given. Who knew what kind of knock off software was installed on the things? And besides, if anything unexpected happened, Sauls doubted the ability of a program to react to the unknown. So he took control of the ship, simply letting the computer advise the 'best possible route', "7 minutes until we touch down, we'll be through the bumpy portion soon."

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 11:49:00 am »
Andy started to run back to engineering. "Crap, you could have given me more warning." He was probably never going to make it back in time, but he was going to get as close as possible.