Author Topic: The Softboiled SciFi RP OOC  (Read 9934 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
The Softboiled SciFi RP OOC
« on: October 31, 2011, 02:39:20 pm »
The Softboiled SciFi RP - Out of Character

Hey guys and welcome to The Softboiled SciFi RP! We all know what's up here. This is our latest RP and it's got a good old-fashioned futuristic SciFi setting sort of like Mass Effect but let's not have any stupid crossovers. Your characters are all part of some sort of team thing (you guys can figure out what it is they do yourselves, I can't do everything) that is based on a planet that I will reveal to you in character. It's pretty straightforward. Just remember that this is a game so some concessions have to be made in the realism and logic departments. Try to keep things interesting, you can't off the big bad just because it's the "logical" thing to do... we have a plot to follow. :P

And don't focus too much on being THE GUY. Some of you will be the hero and some of you will not. Sorry. I can't do much about that, but if you're not the hero don't be mad. I'll make sure everyone gets their place in the sun. Did I just foreshadow? Nope.

Here's what I need from you guys...

I need a character sheet with the following:
Name:
Species: Don't be a jackass... keep it relatively simple. Think Star Trek species, not Spore.
Bio: Tell us as much or as little as you want, but try to give us something.

Other things I need from you guys before we begin. As a group, try to figure out what THE TEAM does. Also do we want to have magic/biotic/science powers? Let's figure all this stuff out.

Beyond that, get your characters in. I'll be playing the bad guy for now. We'll start the game as soon as enough people sign their cute asses up.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 02:48:15 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: The Softboiled SciFi RP OOC
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 03:32:37 pm »
Oh I thought we would just all be in the same colony, not on a task force style team.

Hrmmmmmmm I would be ok with Biotic powers.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 04:09:06 pm »
I went with the team approach just because it's easier to justify being together and easier to keep the group together. Being in the same place tends to lead to arbitrary reasons for being together and even more arbitrary reasons for staying together. And while the team approach is arbitrary, it's the kind of arbitrary that  people don't ask questions about. But we can change that if you want.

**EDIT**
A higher power told me I was a retard for suggesting biotic powers. So maybe we won't do that. :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 04:32:06 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 05:04:00 pm »
I figure we're like mercanary/freelancers for hire, doing odd jobs or something.  An example of this would sorta be Firefly.  Your thoughts?
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 05:48:38 pm »
Yeah, a Firefly job for hire type plot sounds nice. Does Star Control 2 have good examples of the kind of aliens you want? (Less so Mycon and Orz, more Zoq-Fot-Pik and Yehat.)
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 06:06:17 pm »
I like the Firefly type idea. Magic or psychic powers would be ok.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 06:18:30 pm »
I don't know about magic, but psychic's fine.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 01:51:54 am »
Does Star Control 2 have good examples of the kind of aliens you want? (Less so Mycon and Orz, more Zoq-Fot-Pik and Yehat.)

The man said Star Trek.

He wasn't referring to sentient blood clouds or the city-sized jellyfish either.  :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 02:53:58 am »
I meant little green one-eyed guys, or Scottish pterodactyls. That's not exactly a Horta, is it?

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 09:40:31 am »
I like Martyk's idea. It allows for a lot of openness, and variety of assignments/situations. I personally think we need any sort of 'powers' to be grounded somewhat scientifically. Biotic powers and magic should probably be kept out of the RP.

I assume the group would figure stuff out as they went along, about the universe and such, whether humans are the dominant species or not, the level of technology, etc.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 11:29:24 am »
So I heard you were having a Star Control 2 RP?

Dibs Pkunk.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 11:44:28 am »
Oh ****, Star Control?

Dibs Spathi.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:47:32 am by Plank of Wood »
the real saviour of this forum

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 12:07:30 pm »
Well, if you guys are interested I think we got most of our template down.

Check the first post for the required character information. I'll be getting the RP topic up shortly with the primer on the world and our first job. Shibby?

Also, we talked about it in IRC. In an effort to keep things simple, there will be no magic biotics. Just focus on your characters and not so much their doodads. Think Trek tech.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 01:56:13 pm »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 02:24:58 pm »

Name: Dr. James Green
Species: Human
Bio: A doctor by training and soldier by trade, James Green was just starting a medical degree when he was conscripted from his home in the inner colonies when the civil war broke out, the outer colonies vying for more political independence from the distant core planets.  James found himself acting as a field medic on the front lines, padding his limited classroom knowledge with that gained in the field.

The war was vicious but short lived, the outer colonies being granted their freedom by treaty within 8 years.  James proved himself a capable soldier and medic during that time, earning the respect and admiration of many her served with, and opted to stay with the military.  However, in the relativity peaceful years following the war, there was little work for a large scale army.  So he left, looking to make his fortunes in the freelance industry.

Years later he's still going at it, with no plans of stopping any time soon.  He is a professional first and foremost, in combat and the operating room, but has good heart and will stand by his allies til the end.  Nobody's really sure if he is technically a doctor, but those who've worked with him will agree that he has earned the title.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net