Author Topic: The Softboiled SciFi RP OOC  (Read 10035 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
The Softboiled SciFi RP OOC
« on: October 31, 2011, 02:39:20 pm »
The Softboiled SciFi RP - Out of Character

Hey guys and welcome to The Softboiled SciFi RP! We all know what's up here. This is our latest RP and it's got a good old-fashioned futuristic SciFi setting sort of like Mass Effect but let's not have any stupid crossovers. Your characters are all part of some sort of team thing (you guys can figure out what it is they do yourselves, I can't do everything) that is based on a planet that I will reveal to you in character. It's pretty straightforward. Just remember that this is a game so some concessions have to be made in the realism and logic departments. Try to keep things interesting, you can't off the big bad just because it's the "logical" thing to do... we have a plot to follow. :P

And don't focus too much on being THE GUY. Some of you will be the hero and some of you will not. Sorry. I can't do much about that, but if you're not the hero don't be mad. I'll make sure everyone gets their place in the sun. Did I just foreshadow? Nope.

Here's what I need from you guys...

I need a character sheet with the following:
Name:
Species: Don't be a jackass... keep it relatively simple. Think Star Trek species, not Spore.
Bio: Tell us as much or as little as you want, but try to give us something.

Other things I need from you guys before we begin. As a group, try to figure out what THE TEAM does. Also do we want to have magic/biotic/science powers? Let's figure all this stuff out.

Beyond that, get your characters in. I'll be playing the bad guy for now. We'll start the game as soon as enough people sign their cute asses up.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 02:48:15 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: The Softboiled SciFi RP OOC
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 03:32:37 pm »
Oh I thought we would just all be in the same colony, not on a task force style team.

Hrmmmmmmm I would be ok with Biotic powers.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 04:09:06 pm »
I went with the team approach just because it's easier to justify being together and easier to keep the group together. Being in the same place tends to lead to arbitrary reasons for being together and even more arbitrary reasons for staying together. And while the team approach is arbitrary, it's the kind of arbitrary that  people don't ask questions about. But we can change that if you want.

**EDIT**
A higher power told me I was a retard for suggesting biotic powers. So maybe we won't do that. :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 04:32:06 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 05:04:00 pm »
I figure we're like mercanary/freelancers for hire, doing odd jobs or something.  An example of this would sorta be Firefly.  Your thoughts?
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 05:48:38 pm »
Yeah, a Firefly job for hire type plot sounds nice. Does Star Control 2 have good examples of the kind of aliens you want? (Less so Mycon and Orz, more Zoq-Fot-Pik and Yehat.)
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 06:06:17 pm »
I like the Firefly type idea. Magic or psychic powers would be ok.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 06:18:30 pm »
I don't know about magic, but psychic's fine.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 01:51:54 am »
Does Star Control 2 have good examples of the kind of aliens you want? (Less so Mycon and Orz, more Zoq-Fot-Pik and Yehat.)

The man said Star Trek.

He wasn't referring to sentient blood clouds or the city-sized jellyfish either.  :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 02:53:58 am »
I meant little green one-eyed guys, or Scottish pterodactyls. That's not exactly a Horta, is it?

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 09:40:31 am »
I like Martyk's idea. It allows for a lot of openness, and variety of assignments/situations. I personally think we need any sort of 'powers' to be grounded somewhat scientifically. Biotic powers and magic should probably be kept out of the RP.

I assume the group would figure stuff out as they went along, about the universe and such, whether humans are the dominant species or not, the level of technology, etc.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 11:29:24 am »
So I heard you were having a Star Control 2 RP?

Dibs Pkunk.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 11:44:28 am »
Oh ****, Star Control?

Dibs Spathi.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:47:32 am by Plank of Wood »
the real saviour of this forum

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 12:07:30 pm »
Well, if you guys are interested I think we got most of our template down.

Check the first post for the required character information. I'll be getting the RP topic up shortly with the primer on the world and our first job. Shibby?

Also, we talked about it in IRC. In an effort to keep things simple, there will be no magic biotics. Just focus on your characters and not so much their doodads. Think Trek tech.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 01:56:13 pm »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 02:24:58 pm »

Name: Dr. James Green
Species: Human
Bio: A doctor by training and soldier by trade, James Green was just starting a medical degree when he was conscripted from his home in the inner colonies when the civil war broke out, the outer colonies vying for more political independence from the distant core planets.  James found himself acting as a field medic on the front lines, padding his limited classroom knowledge with that gained in the field.

The war was vicious but short lived, the outer colonies being granted their freedom by treaty within 8 years.  James proved himself a capable soldier and medic during that time, earning the respect and admiration of many her served with, and opted to stay with the military.  However, in the relativity peaceful years following the war, there was little work for a large scale army.  So he left, looking to make his fortunes in the freelance industry.

Years later he's still going at it, with no plans of stopping any time soon.  He is a professional first and foremost, in combat and the operating room, but has good heart and will stand by his allies til the end.  Nobody's really sure if he is technically a doctor, but those who've worked with him will agree that he has earned the title.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 03:05:48 pm »
Name: Robert Sauls

Species: Human; Cybernetically Augmented

Bio: Sauls was a fighter pilot at one point in his career (though he hasn't mentioned who he fought for), and he's was cybernetically augmented to be one of the best fighter pilots in the galaxy. If asked about his service, he states that he "did what he had to, but had to leave the military", and just drops the conversation. Sauls expanded his knowledge post-military across every vehicle he could, so that he could fly and drive just about anything, as long as he could read the language, though he could still probably just wing it if he really had to.

There's nothing obviously cybernetic about Sauls other than his cybernetic green eyes, and he isn't actually very augmented. His augmentations are located primarily in his brain and eyes, and are designed to lower his reaction time, increase his situational awareness by adding a constant HUD to his eyesight that presents information to him, such as identifying possible threats, and allowing him to magnify his vision a few times. Other than reacting faster and seeing more, Sauls is essentially a baseline human. He performs best when behind controls, but he's been trained to fire pistols and rifles as well.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 04:57:19 pm »
Name: Moe I. Mason

Species: Scopulan

Bio: Moe is a silicon-based life form from the planet Murexion. Though that may sound frighteningly alien at first, he actually looks just like a large grey boulder with two cyan crystalline eyes. Five feet tall and three feet wide, his rocky "skin" is smooth and rounded with the exact texture of an average stone. He can change color at will, a trait his species evolved in order to camouflage themselves from the vicious eroders, watery liquid predators that bear a remarkable resemblance to rivers. No one is quite sure how he moves, but he doesn't seem to leave any tracks.

Humans have been in contact with the Scopulans for a century, and the rocky creatures have proven worthless in combat so far. Moe's been traveling human space for forty-four years now and got fed up with people denying him entrance into the thrilling life of a military boulder, so he single-handedly designed a pair of cybernetic arms that recognize signals from his unique silicate brain. Journeying to the planet Kton-4 he hoped to land an exciting job, but his ineptitude at handling social interactions with the carbon goo-bags led to a series of bureaucratic errors that recruited him as a chemist: the very job he abandoned back on Murexion. Stationed at a lab a few miles south of the planet's largest city Aquarius, life so far has proven duller than a dormant volcano...until now.

As for personality, other Scopulans consider Moe to be annoyingly hyperactive. Humans find him a tad contemplative, and unnervingly calm when discussing possibly lethal situations. (Friends call him Slow Moe.) He wants nothing more than the excitement of human life, as his species considers raising one's voice in an argument to be an act of war and actual war to be vicious verbal debate. He gets bored easily but can find excitement in the smallest thing - provided it's alien.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 05:43:09 pm »
Hey a rock! Cool!

Just uh... try not to overplay the rock tropes. Make sure he's a viable character in-game and not just a rock.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 06:28:22 pm »
Name: Johnny 4-thumbs
Species: Mutant Human
Bio: Like most mutants, Johnny was born on Earth, now an irradiated mess of pollution and death due to humanity's poor treatment of their home. Born with 4 arms, the origin of his second name, and a third eye, Johnny has spent most his time working out and practicing his marksmanship with old fashioned slugthrowers. When a scientific ship landed, Johnny snuck on board to get off of Earth and eventually found himself at a planet known as a crossroads and got himself a job with the team.

-edited for bolding-
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:34:40 pm by Badger Man 22 »
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 09:06:16 pm »
*has the nagging suspicion that UFO King just doesn't get it*

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 09:07:12 pm »
Raz.

What?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 09:32:57 pm »
Or maybe I'm not the one getting it? Or is this a joke RP? We said Star Trek level aliens, meaning no rocks?

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 09:52:30 pm »
Pat gave an OK on it, so I presume its OK Raz.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 10:00:29 pm »
I thought it was neat....

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 10:32:27 pm »
Name: Kryyzen Tryst

Species: Draak (lizard men)

Bio: A fierce and lethal warrior, Kryyzen is actually a renegade after having breaking free from prison on his home planet of Drethika. After freeing himself, he immediately went into hiding for a large number of years taking odd mercenary jobs when he could. Most people are actually surprised when they hear of his past, as Kryyzen is actually very outgoing, and seemingly nice. Though those that know him best know that he will indeed smile at you just before he slits your throat.

His scales are a deep blue and his eyes yellow. Whilst he prefers a melee weapon, he is quite proficient with a rifle as well. Though he rarely needs it as he is agile and fast, allowing him to close distances and end people with his bare claws.

(Will add more maybe. Idk. I'm not particularly proud of this bio so don't hate me! I just want to play him and get just a few basics about his personality and abilities.)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 05:17:04 am »
Pat gave an OK on it, so I presume its OK Raz.

This is the first RP we've had in months, I'm not in a position to be picky. :P

**EDIT**
And his post was just fine. As long as the posts in-game are solid you can make a mutant lump of lard with a Napoleon complex for all I care.

OH! Get your first posts in today or so. As soon as that's done (or by tonight) I'll make the next story post.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:31:00 am by PatMan33 »

Online Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 09:05:29 am »
Name: Andyne Campbenn
Bio: Born in the outer colonies, Andyne was conscripted to the civil war at that crucial time in a young man's early years when he has no clear idea of what he wants in life. Very quickly he fell in love with the inner workings of spaceships and became a naval engineer. When the war was over, and the outer colonies began to dismantle the navy they couldn't afford, Campbenn couldn't face life on a planet, and so flitted between merchant and mercenary crews.

Despite very much being rear echelon, Campbenn knows how to handle a gun. He's had to face off against many boarding parties, be they pirate or inner world, who make the mistake the engines will be an easy target.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 09:51:40 am »
Looking great guys! I love the characters so far. We've got a good balance between simplicity and workability.

We got a nice crew of pretty regular (and sometimes rocklike) dudes. Can't complain about that. ;)

I'm looking forward to this! :D :D

**EDIT**
OH! We're still open for new players. I'll hold off on hardcore story advancement until tomorrow. We can just dick around with introductions and stuff for now.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:54:10 am by PatMan33 »

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 02:33:09 pm »
Noticed this and thought I might as well jump in here. Looks like fun.

Name: Otto Alvaren
Bio: Otto's story is a life of mediocrity. B and C average student through school, played high school football as a linebacker but never managed to amount to anything amazing. He didn't go to college, but instead worked at a mechanics shop for several years out of school. He joined the military for a short stint and served out his tour. Later he was a salesmen. One of his old bosses had described him as a "Crappy Renaissance Man," which turned out to be pretty accurate.

Eventually Otto wound up joining the mercenary group where he's been at work for almost 10 years, a record for him. He likes working with the ever-changing crew, and is a general go to guy given his wide area of expertise. His laid back demeanor normally puts him on pretty good terms with his teammates.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 02:37:02 pm »
This...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC1NqZvY_lA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC1NqZvY_lA</a>

Or this...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoO_PXY5QV8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoO_PXY5QV8</a>

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 02:46:22 pm »
lana
Lana
LANA!!!!!!!!!!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 02:49:45 pm »
Apparently in the upcoming season Archer will finally get to meet Burt Reynolds. And Burt Reynolds is voiced by Burt Reynolds.

Sploosh.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2011, 02:15:06 pm »
Feels good to write again, yo.

Is the city to everyone's liking? If not, too bad. ;)

ALSO! Any of you people still on the fence, it's not too late to get in on the game. But this is your last chance so please join if you have even a remote interest!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 08:11:17 pm »
Anyway, feel free to press onward and make up rooms and the rest of the convicts. :D

I'll add more tomorrow.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 10:06:57 am »
My handler for this RP suggested I reiterate that there is a general plot so don't take too many liberties with the strange condition of some of the prisoners. ;)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 10:34:44 am »
My bad, bra.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2011, 11:18:47 am »
No problem! It's all good.

Also my handler is Sam. So send all complaints to him.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2011, 02:46:13 pm »
HAHAHA no don't do that.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 04:52:32 pm »
Way to ruin my attempt at tricking them into surrendering, Marty :P

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2011, 01:07:18 am »
Guess marty is good at ruining diplomacy regardless of the setting :Y

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2011, 04:39:41 am »
I'm sorry that I ruined your plan to trick them into surrendering and instead made them surrender of their own volition.  My bad.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2011, 06:33:09 am »
I'm sorry that I ruined your plan to trick them into surrendering and instead made them surrender of their own volition.  My bad.

As you should be. Now let's just hope that we can still salvage this RP.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2011, 07:11:49 am »
Shoot the cowards in the back. It's the only honorable outcome.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2011, 08:56:22 am »
Agreed.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 05:55:56 pm »
A day without posts? :P

TEAM JIM! ASSEMBLE!!!

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2011, 06:15:39 pm »
I've been waiting to see what the doctor says :P

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2011, 06:19:19 pm »
You're gonna be waiting a while.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2011, 09:30:27 pm »
Dangit, my Internet was unable to connect to this site for the past few days, and now it looks like you took off without Moe. Because, you know, there was no reason to. Am I out of this now?

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2011, 11:27:26 pm »
You came along of course.

Or even better you can meet back up with us when/if **** hits the fan.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2011, 12:31:49 am »
Alright, so I've got more of a recurring character. Okay, I can work with that.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2011, 05:32:45 am »
Well a recurring character that joins the main cast after the early episodes

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2011, 07:24:27 pm »
Pat, I am only hesitant to post cause I'm not even sure what we're doing in the prison still.

The job is done and tour is over, i feel like the most i can really have my guy do is say, "Yes i agree this place is disturbing, we got our pay, lets leave", when I know that's not what will happen. I do not think I am the only person who is thinking this, basically im waiting for the catalyst here cause all that there is to do is make very small talk.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2011, 09:20:37 pm »
Yeah that sounds about right. Normal people usually talk about things.

You're over thinking it a bit.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2011, 11:39:37 am »
*is tagged in*

Time for you chumps to feel my DESTRUCITY.