Author Topic: [CoA] Lands of Auralon IC  (Read 9167 times)

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
  • Blood for the Blood God...
    • View Profile
[CoA] Lands of Auralon IC
« on: October 19, 2011, 06:00:03 pm »

Arc 1

You All Meet in a Tavern

Dartterkirk. That was the name of the town that had taken to feeding off the nearby Sky-Giant ruins some time ago. Dartterkirk wasn’t always a big town, it was just a simple village before, at least until the first relic hunters had ventured into the ruins and actually managed to return. And return they did, with priceless artifacts, works of art, lost technology, and other dood-dads that would make a nobleman jealous. That was when merchants, archeologist, and people of a learned nature began to flood to the quiet little town, all hoping to cut themselves a slice of profit, knowledge, or whatever their addiction was. Dartterkirk soon transformed from a sleepy little village of mixed race to a center and staging area for relic hunting and adventuring.

Today, and recently many days before, however, a darkness had fallen over Dartterkirk. The town simply seemed… quiet. A gloomy air had overcome the town’s very nature as shops laid locked up and empty, doors and gates where barricaded, people looked as though they where plodding through muck (which they where), and an ever murky sky loomed above them. It was obvious that for some reason, Dartterkirk was losing its former prosperity. Throughout all this gloom however, there was one beacon of hope, one location that would remain a shining light of happiness for this town…

The Giant’s Mug  AKA: Where people drank their troubles away until they passed out.

It was perhaps one of the largest buildings in the settlement, large enough to accommodate a variety of species that usually passed through the town to hunt for relics in the old giant’s city. Like the rest of town though, the Giant’s Mug had seen better days, its woodwork look like it was rotting and its structure was full of improvised patchwork repairs. Despite the establishments haggard appearance still, the beer was flowing, which meant business was good. Inside the drinks flowed, stories where told, and better days where remembered.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 06:09:18 pm by SimplyNecro »

Quote from: The Evil Overlords Handbook
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Re: [CoA] Lands of Auralon IC
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:46:29 pm »
Castur, unusually, was relaxed this evening. he had stayed here for a time, and never had a night off. He was always busy tending to the inebriated (where having no sense of smell is a blessing) or those who suffered mishaps in the ruins. but with the number of expeditions down, and the general lack of passion, he found himself free.

"I think I shall play a light tune" Castur commented cordially, gesturing with his instrument.

"anyone care to join me?
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 04:09:06 pm »
The Photos known as Vor'kera stumbled into the Giant's Mug. His hand was clasped over a bloody gash in his shoulder, hand stained red with cakes of dried red blood. He caught sight of Castur, the only one he knew from a glance. He slumped down in a seat near him.
"Castur." He said, unbuckling one of the pouches on his belt. He sifted in it a moment before retrieving a pair of small, brightly-glowing diamond shaped gemstones. "I need your help. I found a decently sized cashe of these inside the ruins to the north. I don't know exactly what they are, but from what my modest instrumentation can tell, they're radiating great energies. I'd wager they're a form of power cell." He shifted in his seat a moment. "But before I can do anything, I need medical attention. One of the cashe's guardians managed to get in a decent hit with a sword." He nudged his head towards his clasped wound.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 04:41:42 pm »
"my invitation still stands, but I'll have to attend to this first"

Castur paused a moment, hovering over Vor, examining him.

"your veins sound normal. you haven't lost a dangerous amount of blood yet. I'll have to start now to reduce risk of infection"
without looking he picked up a bottle from his cabinate, and poured three drops onto the injury.

"have to sterilize the tissue, stop the blood flow..."
and he set to work. some small, delicate tools came from within his arm and set upon the wound.

"you have an unfortunate name in my language. so who was guarding the ruins? something concerning, or just another hunter of a less reputable nature?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:56:19 pm by Crazen »
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 04:50:08 pm »
They appeared to be some form of stone automaton..." He said, wincing a moment as Castur did something particularly painful. "Armed with stone shields and a sword made of some material like that of obsidian. My staff made short work of them but there were so many. Their eyes, an overwhelming sea of baleful green glows... I know not of their origin, be it advanced technology or arcane sorcery. But either way, what they guard is too valuable to be left sit where it is, for fear of it being lost to the ages again, or worse." Then Vor'kera remembered something. "Oh, also, I found you this." He reached into his pack, which he had set on the ground beside him. "I don't know if it matches the plugs, but I think this power cell might work for the generator I found you last year." He set it on the table upright, throwing an arduous glance at the flickering candle by which Castur worked.

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 06:07:29 pm »
A lone armored figure appeared on the outskirts of the settlement. The large humanoid was completely encased in blackened armor, and further covered with rags that blew on the wind in tatters. It walked towards the settlement with a constant step, never slowing down, never speeding up. Soon it was at the closed gates, to which it rolled up one its ragged covered sleeves and knocked hard.

"Eh?" A small view port had opened up in the gate, revealing nothing but a curious eye visible. "What’s your business in Dartterkirk?"

"I am a large armored Vrinish warrior…" The armored creature answered indignantly "…with a rather short fuse. There also happen to be some Sky-Giant ruins nearby. Why do you think I’m here?"

“Oh!” The voice answered sarcastically before the visible eye scanned behind the Vrin. "Where’s your company?"

"I plan to get one here." The Vrin stated plainly.

"HA! Good luck with that. All the relic hunters here are to scared out of their wits to go back into those ruins. Ever since they…well… stop coming back alive."

“There have been no survivors?” The Vrin questioned.

"Well…" The creature on the other side thought for a moment. "Actually… I heard that one person did make it alive recently! One of those Photos techni…whatever you call them."

"A good enough lead let me in" The Vrin sounded impatient.

"Say the magic words!" The voice said sarcastically.

"No."

"Eh… close enough."

The gates flew open. Revealing the town, and hiding the annoying gate keeper. Good, Arcold didn’t wish to even be tempted with the thought smashing his skull open and sacrificing his heart on an altar. He quickly made his way through the settlement, quietly keeping to himself, and to his luck the inhabitants afforded him the same courtesy.

The tavern known as the Giant’s Mug was soon before him. He entered, casting a temporary light on the shaded room, illuminating the apprehensive stares of the inhabitants briefly before returning them to shadows. Arcold scanned the drinking room, looking for a certain Photos. He soon spotted him, being healed by a graid. The Vrin quickly made his way across the space, shoving a passing drunk carelessly out of his way before locking eyes with the Photos.

"You, Photos" He stated almost accusingly. "…where you the one who recently returned from the Giants ruins alive?"
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 06:08:33 pm »
I smell blood.
The thought raced through his mind, considering all possibilities. It could just be a butcher shop. No. Its coming from the tavern. Yuta straightened his body a bit and darted towards the tavern, he couldn't stand any risks. Within minutes he slammed through the swinging doors and saw only a Graid standing over a bleeding photos, and, with the thought that a fight may be present, his hand erupted in flame. "Explanations within the next 5 minutes will be acknowledged. Any movement is deemed as threat. Threats will be eliminated."
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:34:01 pm »
"There is no problem. I was wounded and I am being given medical attention." Vor'kera waved off Yuta.
"And as for you, Vrin, I'd recommend you speak of me with a more courteous tone, lest I run you ragged all up along this nice clean street." Seeing that Castur was done, he rose, using his staff for support as he did. "But to answer your question, yes. I am the one who returned from Giants' Ruins alive." He looked the Vrin over a second. "I'd assume that, from the gear you are carrying, that you are a Relic Hunter as I. I'd also assume that, due to your interest in my survival from Giants' Ruins, that there's a business proposition in the immediate future. Am I correct in my assumptions?" Vor'kera said, his tone warning Arcold that he meant business.

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 06:56:27 pm »
Flintlocks clicked, swords where unsheathed and all eyes were directed upon the Capftain. Nearly every patron in the tavern… a tavern full of veteran relic hunters… had drawn their arms, practically daring Yuta to disturb the peace and their drinking because of some misunderstanding. The hum of what could have been charging spells from hidden mages could also be heard.

Arcold briefly regarded the scene before returning his gaze to the Photos. "Correct on all accounts" He stated a bit more diplomatically. "I am Arcold and I am currently gathering a company to enter with me. Since you have previous experience with these ruins you would be an excellent choice." He then looked towards the Gradient healer next to Vor’kera, seeing another potential partner. "The offer extends to you as well Graid."

Arcold then turned towards Yuta and the rest of the tavern "And anyone else who still possesses the backbone to venture into those ruins!"

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 07:13:09 pm »
"I shall gladly accompany you forthwith." Vor'kera acknowledged. "There were a cashe of items I wished to procure. I was driven off by it's guardians, sadly." He said, his shoulder accentuating the point.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 07:17:37 pm »
Castur eyed the tension in the room chearfuly, but with an edge."I would suggest we settle. as a keeper of order in this community, any conflicts are a personal Insult against me. you brevitals find the smallest excuse for a fight, all of you."

"also as a peacekeeper, this danger in the ruins cannot be left. my student Oata-Uzmhoc can look after the unwell while I am gone.

a small (three feet) winged ant-like creature raised his hand.

"hello, I am Uzmhoc, machy of the autumn flock. before you ask, I am not a rapist. that is a gross stereotype of-"

"-thank you Oata!" cut in Castur, rather vexed.
 "but yes, I will come with you. My name is Castur"
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:31:30 pm by Crazen »
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 07:35:12 pm »
He flicked his boneless arm and the flames went out, his minds processing the value of his life compared to information and deeming the former worth far more. He turned to Arcold and expressed interest, "I lack a spine, but perhaps if there is pay I would lend myself, I have no use for archaic weapons that killed their owners."
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 07:44:57 am »
"Pay can almost be guaranteed." The armored warrior replied. "They may say those ruins are cleaned out but I’m sure some of us can prove otherwise." He nodded to the Photos.

Alcord reached into one of his own packs, pulling out a fresh looking map. Carefully, he unrolled it, revealing a thorough drawing of the ruins, with details of directions, passageways, and entrances. Detailed as it was however, it was still limited by the observations and recording of previous relic hunting teams, making it incomplete. Alcord studied the map himself for moments, confirming to himself that this venture would need at least a little bit of planning. There was no telling what could be lurking inside a dead giant city. From bandits, to monsters, to outcast mages, the dangers where ever present.

"First..." He said as he laid the map out for all to see. "…we need an entry point." He continued as he pointed to some circled locations indicating access points to the ruins. "We seem to have two viable options, either we approach from the streets or we go below and enter through the underway (Subway tunnels)." He then looked to Vor’kera again. "What do you think? You been in the ruins before."

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 08:30:11 am »
"I'd say forget about the street entrance." Vor'kera said, looking over the map. "I went in through the street and most of what was there was either picked clean or far too risky to go after. I made the mistake of going after one item and you can see what happened." He said, pointing to his shoulder. "Underway access seems a much more profitable entrance, though there's likely to be thugs, privateers and other forms of lowlives cowering down there. So long as we don't get overwhelmed, however, those should be within our capability. There's going to be risk to life and limb no matter which route we go, so I'd say take the more profitable of the two, just to make it more worth our while. Light shouldn't be a problem, I've got a couple of small hand-held illuminator devices, they should be suffice for our number." He continued.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 09:30:04 am »
"underground...your lucky it's me, as there few other of my kind with the willpower to be underground, let alone searching for vicious violent vagabonds."

"but they wont be a problem. Ive been here three years, thirty seven days, 9 hours, two minutes and.. eight second there, which is enough to become renown among local brevitals. also, most of us have guns and I have a two hundred and five pound broadsword. they don't. any hostilities from criminals and brutes would be despicably one sided."

"Vor, detail any other fancy ancient unkindness you know of to be found in there. no, not now, wright it down. and Alcord, give me a list of places you know up north that have pretty skylights into the summer. And...being I am unfamiliar with but look forward to knowing soon, please at least pretend to have some personal investment in this. it makes for a more multifaceted story in dramatic re-tellings.
No capitalization......

Crazen!